Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft swap, seats now in First

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Aircraft swap, seats now in First

Hi I had booked seats 1A and 1B in business for a flight in December. Now there has been and aircraft change and 1E and 1F are first class seats (the middle ones).

So the reservation still says 1E and 1F but also "Seats not available"

What shall we do? Wait until check in and risk getting to get not so good seats in business ? Or is there any chance it will stick? anyone experienced this before?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If you have a J ticket, you'll probably be seated in the J cabin. But...
Have you tried to view your seats when you pull up your reservation at AF.com?
If the seat map actually shows you in 1EF, I wouldn't touch a thing. And I'd screen shot and print out the page. And check back frequently.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Check if your flight sells F. It could be a one-off substitution and they do not sell F. then your seats in the front cabin should be relatively safe, but you will get J service.

However, such a substitution two months ahead is a bit surprising. Might be useful if you gave a bit more details on the equipment change and whether you got moved from 1A-B to 1 E-F.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by af fp
What shall we do? Wait until check in and risk getting to get not so good seats in business ? Or is there any chance it will stick? anyone experienced this before?
Have you accessed the seat map on airfrance.com? Have you tried to select seats?

It's not clear where you are seeing the "1E and 1F" assignments - but the very fact that it is stated "seats not available" should be a clear indication that you are not actually in these seats at all - and if the new aircraft does indeed have a La Première cabin, that you are not in this cabin at all.

So - please have a look at the seatmaps when you check your reservation on airfrance.com, and see if you can select seats again - presumably in the new business cabin on whatever aircraft has been subbed in.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did AF say when you called to ask?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
What did AF say when you called to ask?

So it is a 777 change, from what was a 777 with business only (new config, 4 seats per row) and no first to one that has both cabins (old config in business, 7 seats per row). We had 1 EF which were the middle seats and still have 1 EF, middle again but if I go to the seat map on my reservation, I can only see rows 3 and above, so I don't see our seats anymore on the map. However as I said I see them on the reservation, albeit with that error message next to them.

Obviously I know that if the error message is there I am not likely to keep the seats which is why, before I book new seats and "abandon" 1E and F, I am first asking the community if someone experienced this before. I'd take first class...

Brunos had a good point: I tried to buy F on this flight, it is for sale ($12,000 one way) and 1E and 1F show up as available! I thus think that we should pick the business class seats we like as long as they are available... No new business seat or first class seat for us, right?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by af fp
Brunos had a good point: I tried to buy F on this flight, it is for sale ($12,000 one way) and 1E and 1F show up as available! I thus think that we should pick the business class seats we like as long as they are available... No new business seat or first class seat for us, right?
Given that, yes I would ring up AF and ask them what's going on. If they confirm that you indeed must switch seats, then go ahead and choose something while on the phone.

That said, in the past when this has happened to me I've stayed in first class but received only business class food and service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.