Air France launches the most stupid idea of the year...

Old Oct 15, 14, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Air France launches the most stupid idea of the year...

Save time... by registering your luggage THE DAY BEFORE your flight AT THE AIRPORT

Old Oct 15, 14, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
The only thing silly about this is that it is only for 3 days.

It coincides (I presume) with the French midterm - similarly to their city check-in this past summer: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...ust-1-2-a.html

And for the record, night-before baggage drop off at the airport is a valuable service, and is increasingly offered.

Easyjet: night-before baggage drop off at LGW
Lufthansa: late-night-check-in available "at numerous airports"
SWISS: check in baggage the evening before for all flights from Switzerland, Austria, Berlin, Frankfurt and Munich
Aer Lingus: evening-before check-in at DUB
Condor: late-night check-in in 12 German and Austrian airports
Thomson Airways: day-before check-in from MAN, BHX and LGW
Zürich Airport: night-before check in available on several airlines
Munich Airport: night-before check in available on several airlines
Frankfurt Airport - Night-before baggage check in for 13 airlines

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 15, 14 at 8:01 am
Old Oct 15, 14, 7:53 am
Original Poster

http://www.airfrance.fr/FR/fr/local/...mail_unica_149
Old Oct 15, 14, 8:29 am

Programs: FB Plat for life
My favorite being the city check-in in Hong Kong. This is a great service
Old Oct 15, 14, 8:35 am

What's stupid about that? If you're on an early flight, and you're staying at an airport hotel overnight, then it gives you an extra hour in bed.

The concept is so common (and popular) in Germany that there is even a word for it - Vorabend-Checkin.
Old Oct 15, 14, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I fail to see what's stupid in this. For all VFR-heavy flights like to Africa with tons of checked luggage, this can be useful. And if you don't need it, you don't use it, period. But don't blame them to offer additional services.
Old Oct 15, 14, 9:17 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
I fail to see what's stupid in this. For all VFR-heavy flights like to Africa with tons of checked luggage, this can be useful. And if you don't need it, you don't use it, period. But don't blame them to offer additional services.
It seems to be an increasing habit on these forums for posters who have no use for a new service to whinge about it. KL started a family check-in service at AMS during peak times in the summer holidays which must have been a help to some passengers, still someone here managed to complain about it.
Old Oct 15, 14, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
ElAl used to offer Jerusalem checkin the night before for TLV flights and I used it a lot. I'd definitely do it at TLV if they still offered it so that the day of the flight I could skip the lines.
Old Oct 15, 14, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NYTA View Post
ElAl used to offer Jerusalem checkin the night before for TLV flights and I used it a lot. I'd definitely do it at TLV if they still offered it so that the day of the flight I could skip the lines.
+1. I remember using this service in Israel a lot which was great as many flights would leave very early and departure security can be long. Doing the luggage stuff beforehand would save precious time and make those very early departures much less punishing.

Like others, I mostly hope that the only reason why it is so limited in terms of time and terminal is that it is a pilot and that an Invalides check in in particular could reopen permanently as in what I understand to have been the good old days.
Old Oct 15, 14, 10:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
My favorite being the city check-in in Hong Kong. This is a great service
If that's similar to CAT check-in at VIE, then I absolutely agree. Drop off your suitcase early at the central train station, enjoy the city for the rest of the day (or even one more night). No hassles.

[edit. to add]
No idea why KLM hasn't taken up a similar service in the Netherlands at select train stations like Amsterdam and/or Rotterdam. Especially in combination with a ICD-service or Thalys ticket.

Last edited by AtlanticX; Oct 15, 14 at 10:55 am
Old Oct 15, 14, 10:24 am
Original Poster

well, if AF had offered this service downtown Paris, it would have been smart, just like in HK

going twice to the airport especially CDG is a just not the best idea
Old Oct 15, 14, 10:46 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by enzo0511 View Post
well, if AF had offered this service downtown Paris, it would have been smart, just like in HK

You assume everyone lives or stays nearer to a city centre location than the airport. If KL did this at AMS I might use it at the airport but certainly not if it was in the centre of Amsterdam.
Old Oct 15, 14, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
No-one is compelled to go to the airport twice - it is only intended for those for whom the service is useful. Such as those who will drive/travel to the airport the evening before and spend the night at an airport hotel.

City check-in is useful, but only for those people who are actually already in the city. These people should, however, find it much easier to make it to the airport for an early-morning departure than those who must first travel a long distance to reach the airport.
Old Oct 15, 14, 10:49 am

CDG serves more than just Paris. And someone coming from further afield, with an early flight to catch, will in all likelihood stay at an airport hotel. A central Paris check-in is useful for those who start their journey in the centre of Paris. Evenining-before airport check-in is useful for a whole lot of people who are staying at or near the airport.

Why do you think the service is so popular elsewhere in Europe?
Old Oct 15, 14, 2:27 pm

Programs: FB PFL; HH Diamond; A3 Silver
OUA

AF has had this service for ages (well, at least since 2008) in Ouagadougou.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: