Concorde May Fly Again

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2010, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Concorde May Fly Again

The BBC reports

The engines on a French Concorde are to be examined as the first move in
a £15m project aiming to get the supersonic passenger jet back in the air.

The Rolls Royce engines of the former Air France Concorde will undergo an
initial examination to see what work needs to be done to start the engines.

Concorde was retired seven years ago, but it is hoped the jet could return
to flight in a heritage capacity.

The tests by a French-British team will take place near Paris.

**Moderator please move to most appropriate forum

Last edited by CHIC SILBER; May 29, 2010 at 10:47 am Reason: Note To Moderator
Old May 29, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Just saw this also. Fantastic. Looks like this is the group which is doing it:

http://www.save-concorde.co.uk/

Good video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro3QV...layer_embedded
Old May 29, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Oh my dream might come true after all! Big ^
Old May 29, 2010, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
don't count too much on that (unfortunately )
Old May 29, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
Getting back to airworthiness (even for demonstration purposes) is unfortunately out of question. But a more realistic goal is to restart the engines so that Concorde could be shown taxiing around by its own means.
Old May 29, 2010, 1:08 pm

From website:

"In an ironic twist, this major development gives further weight to the distinct possibility that Concorde could fly again and feature in the opening ceremony of the greatest event on the planet – the 2012 London Olympics."

http://www.save-concorde.co.uk/?p=54
Old May 29, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
That would be awesome! What a brilliant bird ^
Old May 31, 2010, 6:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I once loved it because of fast flights, but it was more cramped than an RJ and had technologies from the 1960's. It should not be flying again, even for demonstrations. Even so I prize my crystal Concorde that was given to me when I made my 100th Concorde flight. The CDG-GIG flights were faaast, even with the technical stop at DKR.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
How many flights in total did you make on Concorde, jbcarioca?

Had my flying career truly got started in time - I'd have travelled at least once on Concorde. No matter that it's more cramped than an RJ and had technology from the 1960s (I'm sure the irony is not lost on you that its basic technology has not yet been - and probably never now will be - surpassed) - I would have loved just one trip.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I flew roughly 300 Concorde flights, split about 2/3 BA and 1/3 AF, with two flights on Braniff and a few on Singapore also. Braniff had several concordes from both AF and BA that ran to Houston. I flew on the BA one. The SQ was a route with BA livery on one side SQ on the other with cabin crew from SQ. My BA flights were mostly BAH-LHR-BAH but there were a few to JFK also. The AF ones were mostly CDG-DKR-GIG-DKR-CDG but there were a few to JLK on AF also. Nearly all my flights were between 1977 and 1986.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I flew roughly 300 Concorde flights, split about 2/3 BA and 1/3 AF, with two flights on Braniff and a few on Singapore also. Braniff had several concordes from both AF and BA that ran to Houston. I flew on the BA one. The SQ was a route with BA livery on one side SQ on the other with cabin crew from SQ. My BA flights were mostly BAH-LHR-BAH but there were a few to JFK also. The AF ones were mostly CDG-DKR-GIG-DKR-CDG but there were a few to JLK on AF also. Nearly all my flights were between 1977 and 1986.

WOW! I had no idea that Concorde flew to so many destinations or that anyone on FT had taken THAT many Concorde flights!! I suppose the fact that I'm only 28 might be a reason
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:00 pm

Yes, very impressive! Hopefully my work will put me in that kind of a position someday...
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Yes, very impressive! Hopefully my work will put me in that kind of a position someday...
Sorry to disappoint you but extremely unlikely, I would say, given there is not going to be any new "Concorde" in the foreseeable future
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
It was Dallas, not Houston. I flew the inaugural DFW-IAD-CDG flight on "Braniff", which was the AF Concorde in AF colours but with a N- registration which was applied / removed with transfers in Washington before and after each IAD-DFW round trip. On that particular flight, my seatmate was, by coincidence, the AF captain in charge of doing the AF leg (the domestic US legs were flown by BN cockpit crews with BN flight attendants). Due to a snowstorm in Washington that day, the BN crew tried twice to land at IAD, actually touched the runway the 2nd time but too far down , climbed again and we diverted to JFK. The AF captain was VERY nervous and did not seem to fully trust his BN colleague.... That was my one and only experience of a TOGA on the Concorde...

In that time, flying was more fun.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
It was Dallas, not Houston. I flew the inaugural DFW-IAD-CDG flight on "Braniff", which was the AF Concorde in AF colours but with a N- registration which was applied / removed with transfers in Washington before and after each IAD-DFW round trip. On that particular flight, my seatmate was, by coincidence, the AF captain in charge of doing the AF leg (the domestic US legs were flown by BN cockpit crews with BN flight attendants). Due to a snowstorm in Washington that day, the BN crew tried twice to land at IAD, actually touched the runway the 2nd time but too far down , climbed again and we diverted to JFK. The AF captain was VERY nervous and did not seem to fully trust his BN colleague.... That was my one and only experience of a TOGA on the Concorde...

In that time, flying was more fun.
Thanks for the correction on the Braniff Concorde.

I was going to Houston in those days, so I forgot that it was not the final destination. the 727 or whatever it was Dallas-Houston obviously was not memorable at all. As I was looking this up just now I noted on the Braniff history website that Concorde was never painted in Braniff colors, although it was painted in Singapore on one side BA the other for the LHR-BAG-SIN flights.

That must have been an interesting flight for you. I never knew any Concorde pilots. As close as i ever came was that I used to rent a Piper from Biggin Hill, near London, that was owned by a Concorde pilot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.