Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage AC to NWA at NRT?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Baggage AC to NWA at NRT?

Am flying AC J YYZ to NRT then NWA economy reward to SIN. Does AC interline baggage with NWA or will we have to pick up bags, go through customs and then go to check in at NWA? We have 3 hrs. Thanks
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:07 am

Programs: AC 75K
AC will not interline to another airline if the flights are on seperate tickets. of course, it never hurts to ask, but be expected to claim your baggage and recheck in at NRT.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:10 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
AC will not interline to another airline if the flights are on seperate tickets. of course, it never hurts to ask, but be expected to claim your baggage and recheck in at NRT.
We've recently modified our baggage rules - even if you're on 2 seperate tickets, as long as we have an interline baggage agreement with the other carrier, we will be able to tag your bag(s) all the way through to the final destination.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:17 am

Great news Andrew...thanks for the update.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

This sounds great! Now..if we can get our bags checked through... is there any way around going through customs then going to NWA check-in? We won't have boarding passes as we will be in the air on AC when the OLCI opens. I presume we have to do this but it will be a lot easier if we are not schlepping our bags with us!
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:35 pm

AC and NW both operate from Terminal 1 at NRT. There are flight connection counters that would be able to help you with your onward BP. Following signs for transit passengers once you deplane, you'll have to go through security again, and then go to a transit counter.

If your departure gate is open already, they may also be able to help you there...no need to clear customs. Make sure to also show NW your baggage tag receipts.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 2:00 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
We've recently modified our baggage rules - even if you're on 2 seperate tickets, as long as we have an interline baggage agreement with the other carrier, we will be able to tag your bag(s) all the way through to the final destination.
This is huge!!! Good to see they came to their senses. Another customer antagonizing policy of the old guard down the tubes.

Keep it rollin Calin! ^
Old Jun 11, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, Bonvoy*Titanium
One other word of advice at NRT is to make sure you have a copy of your NW boarding pass or eticket for your onward flight when you go though the international transit. They will want to see it when you go through the security procedures.

Note that although AC and NW are both in T1, they are in different wings so it is a LONG walk between the gates. As well, NW won't have a transfer desk in the Star Alliance part of T1, so don't be surprised.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Does that mean we should go to the NW gate to get our boarding pass if there's no NW transit desk?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 6:52 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by tote
One other word of advice at NRT is to make sure you have a copy of your NW boarding pass or eticket for your onward flight when you go though the international transit. They will want to see it when you go through the security procedures.
Actually, all you need to show is your luggage tag showing the bag checked
all the way through. I seldom have printed copies of my tickets ( although
they are on my laptop if necessary) - a couple of weeks ago I just
showed my luggage tag at the security point and they waved me through,
that was sufficient proof for them of the connecting flight.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 6:54 am

That is finally coming to your senses, and is much appreciated.
Now, you should publicize this as widely as possible - it has been a major
reason for my avoiding some lucrative ( for AC) flights. If I did not read
it on this thread, I would not have known about it. And are all your
check-in staff aware of this change?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:47 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
That is finally coming to your senses, and is much appreciated.
Now, you should publicize this as widely as possible - it has been a major
reason for my avoiding some lucrative ( for AC) flights. If I did not read
it on this thread, I would not have known about it. And are all your
check-in staff aware of this change?
Yes. We made sure there were sufficient communication of the change to all the staff.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:12 am

Yes. We made sure there were sufficient communication of the change to all the staff.
But why not publicize it? Even if the checkin staff know, many customers are not even going to bother to ask because they have been told NO in the past?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by anti_ice
But why not publicize it? Even if the checkin staff know, many customers are not even going to bother to ask because they have been told NO in the past?
I suspect that is what they want!
But they do not realize that the policy is costing them ( I believe) more
money in lost revenue than they would lose on misconnects.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I suspect that is what they want!
But they do not realize that the policy is costing them ( I believe) more
money in lost revenue than they would lose on misconnects.
That was my initial thought also...But I am starting to give the benefit of the doubt to the new management team...so this would be a good opportunity to get some positive PR to go along with the positive move.

Begrudgingly making an actual customer friendly improvement and hoping no one notices or takes advantage of it sounds like the old guard way of thinking.

Maybe just remnants of the old way of thinking at AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.