Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: LAX MLL & *A Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC*E, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
I'll be flying YYZ-LAX in April, is the NZ loung only when flying on NZ metal or can I use it as *AG ?
Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
It is for any *A Gold

Another lounge vs. lounge, anyone in HKG should definitely use the Thai lounge instead of the United RCC (you have a choice). The Thai lounge has much better treats plus new Osim massage chairs you can use!
Old Mar 6, 2007, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But only when the lounge is open -- NZ lounge opens at 1230.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Does the Air NZ Lounge at LAX have free wifi or can it pickup the DataValet from the MLL? I've always used MLL at LAX but now after reading this thread, I want to try the NZ Lounge as I will be there next week which is probably my last day as a FF
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:53 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LexCorp
Does the Air NZ Lounge at LAX have free wifi or can it pickup the DataValet from the MLL? I've always used MLL at LAX but now after reading this thread, I want to try the NZ Lounge as I will be there next week which is probably my last day as a FF
It does have free wifi, however you need to get the username and password from the lounge agent
Old Apr 3, 2007, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The NZ lounge is sweet. I highly recommend it.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Used the LAX MLL for the first time on 16/06. Ugly. And small. And a practically non-existant selection of snacks. Big TV is the only positive feature.
--
13F
Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:08 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
I only found out we can use the NZ lounge in LAX earlier this year. Definitely it is far nice and more friendly than the AC MLL in LAX.

Does anyone know when NZ moved into this new lounge? I know when I flew NZ in 2004, the lounge was across the other side..
Old Jun 19, 2007, 7:13 am

The NZ lounge has been at the same location next to the AC MLL for years and years - although it has been extended to about double the size it used to be.

Before the extension (around 2004 I guess) they used to get overcrowded and bump some passengers over to the nasty NW lounge over the other side - evil place with loud US sports on television and mouldy cheese for the pax to eat.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Used the LAX MLL for the first time on 16/06. Ugly. And small. And a practically non-existant selection of snacks. Big TV is the only positive feature.
--
13F
Better than the non-existent ones elsewhere in the USA - LGA springs to mind....
Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by stewardo
...and mouldy cheese for the pax to eat.
Isn't good cheese supposed to be mouldy?
Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian
Better than the non-existent ones elsewhere in the USA - LGA springs to mind....
And why's that? LGA has one of the better RCCs so what's the issue? A MLL can only be profitably maintaned when there is a volume of business travelers and elite members to make use of it. While LGA does have a volume of travellers, even business and elites will generally arrive "just in time" for their flights and not make use of the lounge. It makes no sense, or cents, for AC to maintain a MLL when use levels cannot justify the cost.

Since AC is a member of the STAR alliance, and there are two STAR members in the USA with their own elaborate lounge networks, why should AC maintain MLLs at these same airports/terminals? This is not the same thing as foreign airlines having dedicated lounges at their major gateway airports since these cater to high yield premium customers flying long haul and paying significantly higher fares than found on AC's transborder routes. Further, AC flies into more than 30 US airports and cannot maintain a network of MLLs in each one. That's why STARGolds have access to the lounges of member airlines.

How many lounges do US airlines maintain in Canada? How many lounges does WestJet maintain in the US?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Isn't good cheese supposed to be mouldy?
Good chese might be, but not the lovely individually wrapped small parcels of processed cheese on offer.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
And why's that? LGA has one of the better RCCs so what's the issue? A MLL can only be profitably maintaned when there is a volume of business travelers and elite members to make use of it. While LGA does have a volume of travellers, even business and elites will generally arrive "just in time" for their flights and not make use of the lounge. It makes no sense, or cents, for AC to maintain a MLL when use levels cannot justify the cost.

Since AC is a member of the STAR alliance, and there are two STAR members in the USA with their own elaborate lounge networks, why should AC maintain MLLs at these same airports/terminals? This is not the same thing as foreign airlines having dedicated lounges at their major gateway airports since these cater to high yield premium customers flying long haul and paying significantly higher fares than found on AC's transborder routes. Further, AC flies into more than 30 US airports and cannot maintain a network of MLLs in each one. That's why STARGolds have access to the lounges of member airlines.

How many lounges do US airlines maintain in Canada? How many lounges does WestJet maintain in the US?
At least there is a lounge in LAX. In LGA there isn't one and it's not like the RCC is anywhere near the AC gates.

But to an Apologist any criticism can never be tolerated.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian
At least there is a lounge in LAX. In LGA there isn't one and it's not like the RCC is anywhere near the AC gates.

But to an Apologist any criticism can never be tolerated.
I've already explained that the character of the LGA traveler does not justify maintaining its own lounge at that airport. As well, there is a space restriction at LGA which makes it impossible for a lounge to be operated in the area where AC has its gates, either landside or airside (a big problem in this terminal at LGA). So even if AC had its own MLL, it would not be located any closer to the gate area than the RCC is. (I guess lawyers never have to do cost/benefit analyses, they just spend and bill it to the client, with a mark-up.)

As for the location of the RCC, it is just as inconvenient to the gates as is the DL lounge AC uses at SFO is, but again the layout of the terminal doesn't permit for much else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.