Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ-SNN & YUL-DUB: new 737 routes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
My Guess?? (and only a guess). As this aircraft branches out and does near-in flights
(YYT-LHR, YHZ-FRA, etc), I'm thinking it will be sold as PY. The current stand-alone YYT-LHR-YYT, is a quirky one-off flight and has a modified J service reflective of its short flying time on board.
The price of J on that route is the same as a long haul pod however (and people pay it, especially Brits who don't know better). Don't see AC giving up that revenue for the sake of semantics.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
There are no pods on the 737-8 and I would wager (comfortably) there is little/no demand for J on YYZ/SNN & YUL/DUB. It's seasonal and leisure.
I never thought of SNN as leisure... with the Shannon Free Zone and heavy business with North America. Doesn't SNN have one of the very few US pre-clearance facilities outside of Canada?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I never thought of SNN as leisure... with the Shannon Free Zone and heavy business with North America. Doesn't SNN have one of the very few US pre-clearance facilities outside of Canada?
The only facility outside of the Americas to offer full U.S. pre-clearance to passengers headed to U.S.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad

Shannon was "the first location outside of North America to offer U.S. customs pre-clearance."

And they seem to promote that and a few other services/benefits.

https://www.universalaviation.aero/g.../shannon/EINN/

List of U.S. CBP Preclearance Locations

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...s/preclearance
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by lcohen999
So the question is, would they run these flights as Int' J or more like Rouge PE
I think the answer can be found in Air Canada's press release...

Originally Posted by tcook052
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...644157843.html

MONTREAL, Sept. 13, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today announced expanded seasonal services to Ireland with new non-stop flights from Toronto to Shannon and between Montreal and Dublin. The flights will be operated using Air Canada's newest single-aisle aircraft, the Boeing 737 Max 8 featuring a Business and Economy cabin configuration.
Along with these new services, Air Canada is also enhancing its non-stop Toronto-Dublin service by increasing weekly frequencies to four from three, including daily service next summer, and transitioning it to Air Canada mainline from Air Canada Rouge. It will offer customers amenities such as fully lie flat suites in International Business Class, a Premium Economy cabin and seatback in-flight entertainment throughout the Airbus A330 aircraft that will fly this route.‎
Given that 737 route is referred to as "Business Class" and the A330 "International Business Class" it is pretty safe to assume that the 737's will offer something akin to Domestic J. I suspect the galleys would be too small to offer full International J meal service.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
The only facility outside of the Americas to offer full U.S. pre-clearance to passengers headed to U.S.
Wasn't it extended to Abu Dhabi?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Wasn't it extended to Abu Dhabi?
I included the complete list in my post just above (in response to yyznomad's question)

Originally Posted by 24left
Shannon was "the first location outside of North America to offer U.S. customs pre-clearance."

And they seem to promote that and a few other services/benefits.

https://www.universalaviation.aero/g.../shannon/EINN/

List of U.S. CBP Preclearance Locations

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...s/preclearance
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:59 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flybit
lots of American carriers offer real business class on long haul domestic routes. AC should be doing the same with its 737's yyz toSFO/LAX/DUB/YVR etc. it could easily have a sub fleet with good business class.

AC uses widebodies for certain domestic flights, which give a "good business class" option.

AA has a subfleet of 17 A321T with three-class configuration out of 218 321s in its fleet, according to current data from Planespotters. Those planes are dedicated to serving JFK-LAX and SFO-LAX. They don't serve MIA-SFO or BOS-LAX, they're there for a very specific purpose on a tiny proportion of routes - just two.

If AA is only able to justify this service on such a small proportion of its fleet, how do you think AC is going to make that work? AC has a much smaller fleet to begin with and economies of scale could become difficult to achieve.

AC will probably continue to put recliners in the narrowbodies and use widebodies occasionally on domestic routes where it thinks that it can earn a sufficient premium, but maintaining a subfleet of pod-configured narrowbodies seems highly unlikely.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
AC isn't big enough to have a long haul narrowbody subfleet. Conversely, it isn't big enough for a domestic/shorthaul widebody subfleet and that's probably most of the reason you get international J pods within NA at all.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
SNN was the first, but is not the only - DUB has had full pre-clearance for several years now, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.