Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Irregularities with charges for AC tickets not posting to credit card accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Irregularities with charges for AC tickets not posting to credit card accounts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:46 pm

I just sat on hold for 30 minutes as I have a trip impacted by this issue starting Sunday. The agent explained the issue started June 3rd. I bought my ticket from AirCanada.com on the 13th, and it has not posted to my card yet. They confirmed they know about the issue and when they have fixed it (charges not posting) then they will go back and commit the charge. No idea when that would happen of course. Key was to make sure the booking was showing up in my bookings on the website; that validates you still have a seat.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:55 pm

Just noticed this thread - I was affected by this as well.

Charges for a trip booked June 14 showed up in Pending charges on my CC immediately as one big aggregate charge for 3 pax.

Charges totally dropped off on June 15.

Charges came back on the CC on June 17 as 3 individual charges under the posted transactions section.

I checked my booking every few hours when the charge was lost in the ethernet to make sure the seat selections were still there!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:47 pm

SAme issue here. Flights booked June 8 and went to pending almost immediately thereafter on CC. Checked a couple days ago and nothing charged on CC and pending charges dropped. A/C rep simply stated a charge should come through at some point down the road.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:29 am

I wonder how much money AC has not processed.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:24 am

Location: Relocated to YYJ in 2017, got bored and moved to YVR
Programs: AC - Elite 50K, BA - down to Bronze, SQ - down to Silver, IHG - Platinum, Hilton - Diamond
I booked on June 5 on AirCanada.com, using an RBC Virtual Visa Debit card. My current account showed the amount had been billed when I checked the next day.

On June 12 the full amount was refunded to my account.

The flights were on June 17 and 18 and went ahead without incident.

So I have flown, but not paid. I'm assuming that at some point they will ask for/take the money back.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by OldVines
So I have flown, but not paid. I'm assuming that at some point they will ask for/take the money back.
Same, except now the cards that were used to make the original booking are now declared lost so no additional charges can be made.

I wonder if I just scored a few free plane tickets.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Same, except now the cards that were used to make the original booking are now declared lost so no additional charges can be made.

Hilarious! Please keep us posted on this!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by steveche
I redeemed a reward flight couple days ago thru Aeroplan Call Centre and charged to my Mastercard. Online transactions show $33.90 under Aeroplan for service charge and $340.00 under AIR CAN for tax and surcharges. This morning when I check the balance again, Aeroplan still there but AIR CAN disappears. I called Mastercard customer service and was told that the merchant (AIR CAN) dropped off the charges and they have no idea what's it all about. I already received my electronic ticket but kind of scary that any chance the ticket was 'cancelled' by Air Canada? Should I call Aeroplan to find out or just ignore it? Appreciate if somebody could shred a light. Thanks
I have the same issue, I purchased a $5000 ticket on June 13th on AC website, at beginning, pending charge shows the transaction, then it disappeared, only credit limit still shows $5000 was charged. Today, I checked the credit limit, it get back to normal....
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I feel like I should buy a ticket and hope I never get charged
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by seks
Received my $17500 credit limit AMEX SPG card on the 13th. Called in to AC on that same day to make a booking and charged it to the CC. For the few days after I made the booking, the charge was sitting in the Pending column.

I checked today, the charge is not in the Posted or Pending. 1st statement not generated yet. Credit limit left still at $14119 (the booking is the only thing I have charged to this CC, nothing else).

Booking reference # still valid on AC website.

Monthly statement generated. No AC charge posted or pending. Credit limit is back to $17500.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But what if you need the AQDs?

Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:43 am

Not necessarily. Charges that were pre-authorized can still go against closed accounts (refunds too) depending upon the financial institution; can create hassles finding out about it though. Also, AC can still bill you for it - their failure to process against the card immediately doesn't void the obligation to pay. However, given AC's IT systems, the if and when of the charge appearing may be in your favour.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Colleague of mine bought 4 fully refundable business class tickets.

They never posted to her credit card. She cancelled the tickets and the refund for all 4 tickets are now posted to her credit card.

She's made quite a bit of money doing this. If they don't charge her, well, I might try and be her bestie for the evening.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by robsaw
Not necessarily. Charges that were pre-authorized can still go against closed accounts (refunds too) depending upon the financial institution; can create hassles finding out about it though. Also, AC can still bill you for it - their failure to process against the card immediately doesn't void the obligation to pay. However, given AC's IT systems, the if and when of the charge appearing may be in your favour.
Surely there's a time limit for this? I used to hate paying by cheque due to the long wait for the money to disappear but at least after 6 months it's eirther cleared or voided.

If I kick down $8k for a ticket and the money gets taken out 10 months down the line after I've flown I'm not going to be happy. What if that puts me
over my limit or into an overdraft?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jc94
Surely there's a time limit for this? I used to hate paying by cheque due to the long wait for the money to disappear but at least after 6 months it's eirther cleared or voided.

If I kick down $8k for a ticket and the money gets taken out 10 months down the line after I've flown I'm not going to be happy. What if that puts me
over my limit or into an overdraft?
I believe a chargeback is in order for a scenario like this. It's fully justified as far as I'm concerned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.