Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Irregularities with charges for AC tickets not posting to credit card accounts

Question: Irregularities with charges for AC tickets not posting to credit card accounts

Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Irregularities with charges for AC tickets not posting to credit card accounts

I redeemed a reward flight couple days ago thru Aeroplan Call Centre and charged to my Mastercard. Online transactions show $33.90 under Aeroplan for service charge and $340.00 under AIR CAN for tax and surcharges. This morning when I check the balance again, Aeroplan still there but AIR CAN disappears. I called Mastercard customer service and was told that the merchant (AIR CAN) dropped off the charges and they have no idea what's it all about. I already received my electronic ticket but kind of scary that any chance the ticket was 'cancelled' by Air Canada? Should I call Aeroplan to find out or just ignore it? Appreciate if somebody could shred a light. Thanks
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Are you talking about the Aeroplan and Air Canada charges showing up in your "pending" transactions, and then one disappearing from pending but has not posted yet? If so, that is normal and does not indicate that the transaction will not eventually post.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:31 pm

Double check your booking to ensure ALL segments are still there.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by D582
Are you talking about the Aeroplan and Air Canada charges showing up in your "pending" transactions, and then one disappearing from pending but has not posted yet? If so, that is normal and does not indicate that the transaction will not eventually post.
I'm voting for this - if the transaction was only initated a "couple of days ago" it is quite possible the transaction simply dropped-off between being authorized and being posted. Also, it would be helpful if the OP indicated the financial institution and exactly what state the transaction was in as that would probably permit a more informed answer to the question. BTW, there is NO generic "Mastercard Customer Service" only the financial institution that issued the card has access to customer card accounts.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This has never happened to me. I've never lost a pending charge without a charge posting.

I see two options:

1. Call Aeroplan and explain this. This is more ethical, and gives you legal coverage if they LATER cancel your ticket.
2. Don't do anything, and hope no one notices. This could save you $340. Or the charge may post.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Exactly. The charges was posted under pending for couple days and all in a sudden disappears. I couldn't pay any transactions that's not on my account. Kind of worry since it never happens before
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robsaw
I'm voting for this - if the transaction was only initated a "couple of days ago" it is quite possible the transaction simply dropped-off between being authorized and being posted. Also, it would be helpful if the OP indicated the financial institution and exactly what state the transaction was in as that would probably permit a more informed answer to the question. BTW, there is NO generic "Mastercard Customer Service" only the financial institution that issued the card has access to customer card accounts.
I'm using the Capital One Aspire mastercard and never saw something like this before. Normally charges will appear under 'pending' for couple days then transferred to 'confirmed transactions' for payment.Capital One rep said that the merchant withdrew the charges ??
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:35 am

The AE service charge I would expect to post separately and sooner. The fees associated with the ticket probably only post when "ticketed" - what is the status of the booking you should be able to look it up on-line and check with confirmation code?

I still expect it may post to your cc-account as it is possible the authorization and actual posting could be done as separate transactions. If it doesn't within about 3 days of ticketing then I would start to be concerned.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robsaw
The AE service charge I would expect to post separately and sooner. The fees associated with the ticket probably only post when "ticketed" - what is the status of the booking you should be able to look it up on-line and check with confirmation code?

I still expect it may post to your cc-account as it is possible the authorization and actual posting could be done as separate transactions. If it doesn't within about 3 days of ticketing then I would start to be concerned.
Both charges $33.90 under Aeroplan and $340.00 under Air Can appeared on my Capital Aspire on-line transactions the following day as 'pending'. But the weird thing is that the Aeroplan $33.90 transferred to 'transactions confirmed' but the Air Can $340.00 just disappeared. I called Capital One and was told nothing they can do since the merchant removed the charges, and was talking to Aeroplan couple mins ago, the Rep put me on hold for 30 mins checking with their billing department then came back saying might be some glitches and confirms that my booking, ticketing, payment all looks good and nothing to worry.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: *$ Green
I agree that it may be nothing to worry about. Especially if the tickets are still active, and AC/AE still have the billing information.

But I certainly wouldn't call this normal. AC is most likely having some issues with their POS if this is happening.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:38 am

Happened to me several times, when a transaction disappeared from pending, but only appeared in posted a couple of days later.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer

But I certainly wouldn't call this normal. AC is most likely having some issues with their POS if this is happening.
This is totally normal actually, and not just for airlines. There can also be charges that never show up in pending but get posted as well.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I agree that it may be nothing to worry about. Especially if the tickets are still active, and AC/AE still have the billing information.

just don't want to see any last minute surprises. I changed my dates couple times to get all direct flights YYZ-ICN-NRT-HKG-YYZ. It's not easy these days.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has happened to me that Aeroplan did not charge something they were supposed to.

Next time I booked an AE ticket, they tacked that charge on.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:16 pm

I've seen pending charges disappear and post a couple of days later for various types of purchases.
I highly doubt their payment system is having problems.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.