Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using a Surface on board

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by j_the_p
While I will likely buy one of these, the drawback is that it won't solve the OP's issue. These won't work in J.
Bought one and it arrived. Used it this morning to watch a horrible episode 1 of the new X-Files.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by j_the_p
Bought one and it arrived. Used it this morning to watch a horrible episode 1 of the new X-Files.
And your verdict? (The product - not the X-Files )
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
As advertised, it holds a tablet just fine (iPad Air 2 in that pic). Seems sturdy and well made. The bungee is so stiff that I thought it wouldn't handle the iPad, but it does. I can see the elastic tension in the bungee cords being the first thing to go though. All in all, no complaints (other than the fact that I was in Y).
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Is the Surface considered a "large electronic device," like a laptop? During takeoff and landing, large electronic devices need to be stowed.

I know that phones and e-books are allowed to be used (in airplane mode, of course!) during takeoff and landing. I think iPads and other tablets are also allowed. Is the Surface considered a tablet, and therefore allowed?

If not, who makes this determination? Transport Canada, Air Canada, or is it just up to the individual FA?

(p.s. I have a Surface Pro 4 as my only computing device, serving as a desktop, laptop, and tablet)
Old Oct 22, 2016, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
Is the Surface considered a "large electronic device," like a laptop? During takeoff and landing, large electronic devices need to be stowed.

I know that phones and e-books are allowed to be used (in airplane mode, of course!) during takeoff and landing. I think iPads and other tablets are also allowed. Is the Surface considered a tablet, and therefore allowed?

If not, who makes this determination? Transport Canada, Air Canada, or is it just up to the individual FA?

(p.s. I have a Surface Pro 4 as my only computing device, serving as a desktop, laptop, and tablet)
Regardless of what the AC/TC policy is, FAs make it up as they go on this one. Sometimes I use it with the keyboard all the way from boarding until after take-off with no problems. Sometimes they get mad at me as long as I have the keyboard attached but are fine with it if I take the keyboard off. One time an officious person wanted me to put it away altogether like a laptop. So I did, waited a minute or two after he had gone, pulled it back out and used it without the keyboard without any further comment from him.

I used to get a lot more hassle about the keyboard, but over time they seem to have become less fussed about it and these days I'm more able to just keep using it.

CATSA is another story. It is very consistently a "laptop" that needs to be removed rather than a tablet that can stay in the bag. I don't even bother trying with them anymore, I just take it out every time.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
the pictogram on some security stations shows laptops AND tablets being placed separately n the bin.
(and of course, at other stations, NEITHER need be removed from the bag)
Unless it is clearly neither, I generally do both.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by adam.smith
Regardless of what the AC/TC policy is, FAs make it up as they go on this one. Sometimes I use it with the keyboard all the way from boarding until after take-off with no problems. Sometimes they get mad at me as long as I have the keyboard attached but are fine with it if I take the keyboard off. One time an officious person wanted me to put it away altogether like a laptop. So I did, waited a minute or two after he had gone, pulled it back out and used it without the keyboard without any further comment from him.
I suspected it would be this confusing. Just like not being able to use a Bluetooth mouse in-flight on a WiFi-enabled aircraft. I haven't had an explanation about this that makes sense. I know Bluetooth is not the same as WiFi, but both are forms of low-power wireless communication.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:30 pm

When travelling I use an ESR folio case. Kickstand is not used and the folio forms a triangle at the bottom that prevents the Surface Pro from falling of the back of the tray table.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
I suspected it would be this confusing. Just like not being able to use a Bluetooth mouse in-flight on a WiFi-enabled aircraft. I haven't had an explanation about this that makes sense. I know Bluetooth is not the same as WiFi, but both are forms of low-power wireless communication.
You clearly don't understand that all FAs are technology experts.

You know, like my Surface is a laptop.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flyquiet
the pictogram on some security stations shows laptops AND tablets being placed separately n the bin.
(and of course, at other stations, NEITHER need be removed from the bag)
Unless it is clearly neither, I generally do both.
In Europe, for sure, they almost always want the tablets out (in MAN, not only did I have to take out my Surface and iPad, but also my Kindle, two phones, iPod Nano and a calculator ), but I don't think anyone in North America has ever told me to take out my iPad.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by adam.smith
In Europe, for sure, they almost always want the tablets out (in MAN, not only did I have to take out my Surface and iPad, but also my Kindle, two phones, iPod Nano and a calculator ), but I don't think anyone in North America has ever told me to take out my iPad.
hold up, you have all that electronics and still carry a calculator!?!v
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
hold up, you have all that electronics and still carry a calculator!?!v
Can't remember why I had it in my briefcase at the time, I don't usually carry one.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
You clearly don't understand that all FAs are technology experts.

You know, like my Surface is a laptop.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
I use only a iPad Mini when I travel. It does everything I need and want. Further I watch all my movies and shows on it. All in Hi-Def 1080P. I haven't brought I Laptop on a plane in over 18 months. Lastly you don't ever need to take it out of your bag at security. It's not treated as a Laptop.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 200K, SPG PLAT, HH DIAMOND
I actually asked IT if I could swap it and they said yes since everyone is looking fir a surface. Traded it in and got an HP laptop last week and this week it is working like a dream!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.