Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC to enforce cabin baggage size/weight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 6:41 pm
ESC
Original Poster

Programs: AC S100K

As per a check-in agent at YYZ yesterday, she said that AC will begin tagging cabin baggage that conforms to accepted sizing/weight, effective May 25. This will initially happen ex-YYZ only, but is expected to go system-wide afterwards ... is anyone able to confirm?
Old May 18, 2015, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ESC
As per a check-in agent at YYZ yesterday, she said that AC will begin tagging cabin baggage that conforms to accepted sizing/weight, effective May 25. This will initially happen ex-YYZ only, but is expected to go system-wide afterwards ... is anyone able to confirm?
Yikes. That's not good. I think it's a rumor...no way, effective date to start May 25th? So like beginning of the next decade in reality?
Old May 18, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Oh, I can't wait to see this, more free entertainment!

Is there a popcorn vendor at YYZ T-1?
Old May 18, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Now how am I supposed to get my kitchen sink from Toronto to Vancouver?
Old May 18, 2015, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Now how am I supposed to get my kitchen sink from Toronto to Vancouver?
By paying for a checked bag
Old May 18, 2015, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
ESC
Thanks for the info.
So if true, it looks like the baggage police are doing an encore.

These are a few of the related threads just in the past year alone.

So much fun, so little time.

Old May 18, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
How do they expect GAs to get baggage size/weight and zone boarding both right? Seems like they are asking a lot ��
Old May 18, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
It would be interesting to see if they learnt anything from their previous attempts at a crackdown.
Old May 18, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Not good news for someone like me.
While I am always size compliant, I am not always weight compliant.
I am currently on a 2 week trip throughout Asia, travelling with hand carry only.
It is so liberating - I am now able to take subway/sky train etc. to and from airports
like PVG, BKK,SHA,ICN,GMP whereas when I have checked luggage I must always
take a cab or airport bus.

However, my rollaboard is definitely in the 15+ kg category.

Even my laptop bag would be overweight - although tiny I am currently lugging
2 laptops around while transferring stuff from one to the other.

I would hope for " selective" enforcement - i.e. not for J cabin.
Airlines like CX/BR have done this for years.
Old May 18, 2015, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ffsim
It would be interesting to see if they learnt anything from their previous attempts at a crackdown.
I hope they did not.
Old May 18, 2015, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by 24left
These are a few of the related threads just in the past year alone.
So the last "crackdown" thread was started on Sep.30.2014. and a month later it was deemed "unpleasant" by staff.

I wish they actually cracked down, but its not gonna happen.
Good luck telling a DYKWIA SE that their 1kg overweight carry on bag will not fly.
Old May 18, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Altitude members >P25 are allowed 3 bags weighing 32kg plus 2 carry ons at 10kg each for a total of 116kg. This business of creating ill-will because a frequent flyer traveling with ONE bag at 11kg is foolish. We're talking about someone using less than 10% of their total baggage allowance...

Now, bag dimensions are another story. I'm all for the strict enforcement of bag dimensions and quantities, including those brought onboard by AC staff.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Good luck telling a DYKWIA SE that their 1kg overweight carry on bag will not fly.
DYKWIA or not, why should 1kg make a difference in light of the above?
Old May 18, 2015, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
...I'm all for the strict enforcement of bag dimensions and quantities, including those brought onboard by AC staff....
Great point. So while I had my one carry-on with wheels (smaller than AC size limit), the multiple crew who sat beside me each had 3. Hmmmm.

Altitude members >P25 are allowed 3 bags weighing 32kg plus 2 carry ons at 10kg each for a total of 116kg. This business of creating ill-will because a frequent flyer traveling with ONE bag at 11kg is foolish. We're talking about someone using less than 10% of their total baggage allowance...

DYKWIA or not, why should 1kg make a difference in light of the above?

Because logic does not enter into the equation
Old May 18, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: AC SE
I think it would be a welcome change, as there are a lot of people who totally abuse the rules with the recent lack of enforcement. One recent example that was ahead of me in the airport recently who had 4 carry-on bags himself (oversized roller bag, overstuffed garment bag, two laptop bags, and another small personal item).

Old May 18, 2015, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gcashin
I think it would be a welcome change, as there are a lot of people who totally abuse the rules with the recent lack of enforcement. One recent example that was ahead of me in the airport recently who had 4 carry-on bags himself (oversized roller bag, overstuffed garment bag, two laptop bags, and another small personal item).

Wow. Just wow. Agreed that's ridiculous!

Plus that bag is expanded!! I mean who does that??

Also doesn't look like he has status. Gate check unless he's in J?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.