Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare Class Differences

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Fare Class Differences

So there's 2 parts to this question, but I'm posting it together to avoid cluttering the board :P I'd appreciate if people could answer both, but the first one is the more important one.

1) Premium Economy vs Tango
How much "better" is premium economy than Tango? % wise... so I can judge whether it's worth it to fly PE vs Tango on a YYZ-HKG flight (amongst others)
The PE fare for YYZ-HKG seems to be almost double the Tango fare. ($1800 vs $1000)... is it worth it? How much more would you pay for PE vs Tango?

2) Flex vs Tango
Flex doesn't actually look more flexible than Tango. And it's a lot more expensive (sometimes same price as PE)
Why do people book flex? Is it because of the ability to upgrade, the extra miles, or something else? If the miles, isn't it an expensive way to get miles?
Old May 27, 2016, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by haolaowai_org
2) Flex vs Tango
Flex doesn't actually look more flexible than Tango. And it's a lot more expensive (sometimes same price as PE)
Why do people book flex? Is it because of the ability to upgrade, the extra miles, or something else? If the miles, isn't it an expensive way to get miles?
The two main benefits to Flex for most people are the ability to upgrade and the accumulation of AQMs. For Aeroplan miles, yes, it's usually a terribly expensive way to earn them, but if you want status with AC, the AQMs are valuable.

There are some other benefits, which vary by route (e.g. DOM vs TB vs INTL), which may include seat selection, a checked bag, a lower change fee, etc. Whether or not those are worth anything to you depends on your flying habits, status with AC, etc.

But if you're looking for "flexibility" in terms of refunds or fee-free changes or something like that, no, Flex is really no better than Tango.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold

How much "better" is premium economy than Tango? % wise... so I can judge whether it's worth it to fly PE vs Tango on a YYZ-HKG flight (amongst others)
The PE fare for YYZ-HKG seems to be almost double the Tango fare. ($1800 vs $1000)... is it worth it? How much more would you pay for PE vs Tango?
Premium Economy is a separate cabin with different and better seats. You'll have more leg room and slightly more recline than a regular economy seat. Also, the meals will be better than the regular Y ones. For a flight like YYZ-HKG you are definitely better off in PE than buying a Tango or Flex fare.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
If you're looking for someone to tell you that PE is X% better than Flex or Tango, this question doesn't really work. You'll get some people for whom the cost difference isn't a big factor saying "give me J or give me death", and other people saying they wouldn't pay $5 for an exit-row seat on a 15-hour flight.

In terms of tangible differences, PE will net you an additional 12,000 miles against Tango, which is a big deal if you're trying to qualify for status, plus those miles are worth about $200-250.

Whether or not a slightly better seat and food are worthwhile to you is a subjective question that only you can answer.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I did buy PY to PVG for an upcoming trip. It was something like $10 more than Flex. Of course Flex is more than Tango (i.e., almost double) but I did not see Tango availability. (Perhaps my eyes did not scroll far enough left, I'm not sure.)

I want AQM so that is my reason for Flex. It's personal whether the 100% vs. 50% is worth the Flex vs Tango price, but PY (125%) for Flex price? Absolutely worth it. I slept very adequately in the window seat YVR-HKG last time. Sure, I'd love to lie flat in a pod but at E50K, I am not getting that without an objectionable co-pay. I was pleasantly surprised and relieved with the comfort factor I did have.

Meals to HKG were much better than meals to YYZ. I think I will pack snacks for the return trip this time.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
I did PE on the 788 to ICN and I would definitely pay 75% more than tango. Probably even double.
The seat is more than slightly better and you are not rubbing shoulders with the next guy. The extra recline is helpful on the long haul too.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I did buy PY to PVG for an upcoming trip. It was something like $10 more than Flex. Of course Flex is more than Tango (i.e., almost double) but I did not see Tango availability. (Perhaps my eyes did not scroll far enough left, I'm not sure.)

I want AQM so that is my reason for Flex. It's personal whether the 100% vs. 50% is worth the Flex vs Tango price, but PY (125%) for Flex price? Absolutely worth it. I slept very adequately in the window seat YVR-HKG last time. Sure, I'd love to lie flat in a pod but at E50K, I am not getting that without an objectionable co-pay. I was pleasantly surprised and relieved with the comfort factor I did have.

Meals to HKG were much better than meals to YYZ. I think I will pack snacks for the return trip this time.
So for HKG it's the same situation. Almost double to get from Tango->Flex, and Flex=Premium Economy. Choosing Tango vs Flex is a nobrainer for me, exact same flight experience for half the price

But Tango vs PE? Double the price but is the experience twice as good?

For me the AQM bonus isn't worth it... I might as well make TWO trips in Tango instead of 1 trip in PE if it was just for the points. That way I get to travel more. 2 tango = 1 Flex/PE in AQM, but double the AQS.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
So for HKG it's the same situation. Almost double to get from Tango->Flex, and Flex=Premium Economy. Choosing Tango vs Flex is a nobrainer for me, exact same flight experience for half the price

But Tango vs PE? Double the price but is the experience twice as good?

For me the AQM bonus isn't worth it... I might as well make TWO trips in Tango instead of 1 trip in PE if it was just for the points. That way I get to travel more. 2 tango = 1 Flex/PE in AQM, but double the AQS.
Segments are kind of irrelevant on TPACs. You'd qualify in AQM way before you'd hit even 25 segments even on Tango.

To each his and her own, but maybe it partly depends on how you plan to spend the time when you're there as well. For me, I'm not going for happyhappy funtimes. If I could access the funds, I could functionally justify J. I am not a spring chicken and I arrive in the afternoon and am up at an 0800 meeting the next morning and on my feet for 16-hour days for the next five days. For me, I think I can swing PY as it is essentially the same as Flex (and way less than full Y).
Old May 28, 2016, 10:47 am

So there's 2 parts to this question, but I'm posting it together to avoid cluttering the board :P I'd appreciate if people could answer both, but the first one is the more important one.

2) Flex vs Tango
I am 6'2 and 215lbs. Premium Economy is worth the money for tpac, IMHO. My wife is 5'2 and 110lbs, she thinks it's a waste of money. When we fly together I get economy and lift the arm rest up between us.
Old May 28, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I would pay 50-75% premium on PE vs Tango
At some point, its not worth it agonizing over a few hundred bucks and only suffer for 14 hours straight.
Old May 28, 2016, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I would pay 50-75% premium on PE vs Tango
At some point, its not worth it agonizing over a few hundred bucks and only suffer for 14 hours straight.
Is it actually suffering tho?

It seems
Economy--Premium Economy-------------------------------------------Business

In terms of difference (from what I saw on website)... tho I guess I won't know the real difference unless I fly the same route twice in both classes haha
Old May 29, 2016, 4:34 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Depending on how tall you are, AC's slaveship configuration in economy could absolutely be physically painful on an ultra long haul like YYZ HKG. I'm not trying to be dramatic here. I fly long haul in economy all the time, and AC's 777 and 787 configuration is noticeably less comfortable than pretty much any other major international carrier. It's one thing on a transcon but quite another on a 15 hour flight.
Old May 29, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Is it actually suffering tho?

It seems
Economy--Premium Economy-------------------------------------------Business

In terms of difference (from what I saw on website)... tho I guess I won't know the real difference unless I fly the same route twice in both classes haha
It is actually suffering.
PY is good, but make sure you dont get the middle section. Row 14 Window, Aisle section is the best.

I know you know as students we are supposed to save as much as $$ as possible, but there is a line when it comes to 14 hour TPAC.

The fact that AC did not follow AA's route of giving us Economy Plus really don't give us a choice, does it? Its getting screwed either way, you are damned if you pay those inflated PY prices, you are damned if you don't and get rekt for hours straight.

By 11th hour, this is how you are going to feel in Y.

1800 vs 1000 is worth it. I think. But none the less if you could go for Cathay, go for that instead. (Unless you really needs the AQM)

Last edited by Jumper Jack; May 29, 2016 at 4:53 am
Old May 29, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I have not been wowed by any PE product, including AC. Even the best PE product cannot compare to the worst J product.

However, I would definitely book a PE ticket over Flex if the pricing is similar. Also note that O fares on Air Canada are eligible for Star Alliance upgrades into business class using miles.
Old May 29, 2016, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keitherson
I have not been wowed by any PE product, including AC. Even the best PE product cannot compare to the worst J product.

However, I would definitely book a PE ticket over Flex if the pricing is similar. Also note that O fares on Air Canada are eligible for Star Alliance upgrades into business class using miles.
I would never buy Flex. But just wondering how much price differential vs tango would be justified.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.