Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the
original 2004 - 2014 thread
and the 2015 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I must be in the minority of Surface Pro 4 owners that don't like it! Mine has been sitting in the closet for 99% of my ownership (since launch week). It looks cool, but the tablet function is mostly useless. I love my touchscreen T series notebooks though, and carry an iPad Air for tablet/2nd monitor duty (duet is awesome).
Well, if you are interested in selling yours... I know plenty of students who would be dying to get one on discount. :P

I highly disagree with the tablet function being "useless"
Surface is the MOST productive machine ever built and allows me to get literally everything done on it. I can jog some quick notes down, do some quick UI/UX brainstorm work with the engineering peeps(who often demands extreme hand holding), watch a movie/catch up on netflix, finishing up the emails on the get go.

If only MS could beef up the specs more I can do away with my Lenovo Y500 spec beast and do everything on one machine.

When I am back in my dorm I can just hook it up to any monitor /keyboard and blast away.

Its light, durable, not some MBA crab that breaks on first drop.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
When I was in school, I used OneNote with a convertible tablet. I liked the pen because it was a heck of a lot easier to quickly jot down simple equations.

On the Surface Pro 4 (SP4), I find tablet mode without the pen to be totally unusable, so no improvement there. With the iPad, there are tons of tablet oriented apps, and the size is much more manageable (don't get me wrong, my iPad became 300% more useful when duet came out, so basically I never use it either). The SP4 is uncomfortable to hold with one hand; I wish my hands more closely resembled Lona Kane's.

AFAIK there is no LTE available on the SP4 (I love the LTE in my thinkpads, which I've had on the T420s, T440s, and T460s). I've also always had LTE in my iPads...

I've encountered lots of bugs in SP4 the firmware, they are slowly getting patched but mine still doesn't even keep the correct date when I pull it out after months of sitting around. I have to fix the clock before web browsers and updates will work. CMOS batteries worked fine for me back when I had an 8086...

The keyboard and mouse just suck compared to my thinkpad (T440s doesn't count there, Lenovo really f'd up the mouse on that one, I had to install a T450s trackpad in it to make it usable). After using the SP4 for a few minutes of serious work I have a strong temptation to toss it off the balcony/whatever drop is available to me.

The SP4 is uncomfortable to use on my lap because of the kickstand and flimsy little keyboard, same temptation to toss it off a tall building.

The SP4 doesn't have enough USB ports. I do need to plug in a keyboard and mouse to really use the thing. I guess I should carry a BT keyboard with it?

And IIRC the ram/ssd are not upgradeable, when I got my T460s I threw in a 500gb SSD and upgraded the ram to 20gb. More USB ports could be a bandaid to this issue...

Those are my only real complaints so far. lol.

Last edited by Nitehawk; Aug 22, 2016 at 11:38 pm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I highly disagree with the tablet function being "useless"
Surface is the MOST productive machine ever built and allows me to get literally everything done on it. I can jog some quick notes down, do some quick UI/UX brainstorm work with the engineering peeps(who often demands extreme hand holding)
I do like the pen on the SP4. I wish it worked with my T460s, because I also need to deal with UI design, and other engineering issues which require quick sketches. I'm old school and still use printers/scanners and a pen to mark up drawings/share concepts.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
I think the SP4 keyboard is amazing. There's always a tradeoff between size, thickness and quality, but the SP4 has pretty much nailed it on all three.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I heard there's this great place called "The Thread" Chat where one learns really good stuff about AC, even more than here. Have you guys (unisex "guys") heard of it?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: SE100K - Air Canada, WestJet Gold
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
I think the SP4 keyboard is amazing. There's always a tradeoff between size, thickness and quality, but the SP4 has pretty much nailed it on all three.
The iPad Pro is far superior. I much prefer the aesthetics.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by misapply
The iPad Pro is far superior. I much prefer the aesthetics.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: SE100K - Air Canada, WestJet Gold
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Microsoft released the Surface Book which is a laptop with a gap the size of mainland China.

They make crap. I am pleased to say that I met another FTer you met when you were there. Can't wait to meet you on Friday.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by misapply
Microsoft released the Surface Book which is a laptop with a gap the size of mainland China.

They make crap. I am pleased to say that I met another FTer you met when you were there. Can't wait to meet you on Friday.

Ffsim is most def a very, very nice guy, had a great time chatting with him in Shanghai.

Can't wait for Friday also! :P
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
What's on Friday?

Time for me to crash a party?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:25 pm

I could make Shanghai for Friday too!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Crackling intensity on AMC's season 3 premiere of Halt and Catch Fire. The Tangerine Dream sort of background music is perfect for the mid-80's timeframe too.

Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I really like the music at the end.

And..... "Are You Safe?"
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: TK *G
I just left Shanghai. Also what's going on at PVG T1, they parked 3 747s at remote stands. Must be fun to ferry 400 ppl by bus.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "The Thread" Chat is awesome! Learning so much about AC from AC insiders!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.