Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC and CX business class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ac777
This is why AC will be raising their prices next year. The AQD requirement was a prelude to the price increase....especially the latitude and business class fares. Just my 2c worth.We should have the ability to try CX and not be bound to AC just for the status the benefits of which is becoming more an illusion than reality
Does AC codeshare on any Asian flight from Canada/USA to HKG (even if it is a flight with an intermediate stop).

For example, does AC code-share on the ANA flight via Haneda; on the Asiana flight from USA via ICN; on SQ via SFO. If the answer is yes, then I would (for the AQS/AQD reasons) reluctantly try those options, even if the cost is slightly (whatever my definition of that term might be) more than the direct non-stop AC flight. My guess is the business class flying those airlines might be better than that of AC; perhaps even competitive with CX, on the Thai flight via Bangkok.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
I was expecting my CX J experiences last year to be far superior to my (more extensive) AC J experiences, but they weren't much different in reality. CX lounges in HKG are better than what AC has in HKG, but the opposite is true at YYZ (with the overall "winner" certainly CX.)

The FAs are generally pleasant, but different, on both airlines. The food is generally adequate airplane food.

There is not enough difference between the two airlines in J to justify paying more for one of them over the other, all else being either equal or irrelevant.

If you can spend 1000 less per person and the schedule is still OK for you for particular flight dates, go for the savings.

Don't go expecting a mindblowing experience.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by zorn
I was expecting my CX J experiences last year to be far superior to my (more extensive) AC J experiences, but they weren't much different in reality. CX lounges in HKG are better than what AC has in HKG, but the opposite is true at YYZ (with the overall "winner" certainly CX.)

The FAs are generally pleasant, but different, on both airlines. The food is generally adequate airplane food.

There is not enough difference between the two airlines in J to justify paying more for one of them over the other, all else being either equal or irrelevant.

If you can spend 1000 less per person and the schedule is still OK for you for particular flight dates, go for the savings.

Don't go expecting a mindblowing experience.
That seems to be an anomalous experience. CX J > AC J 99 times out of 100, and is certainly worth a modest price premium.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
That seems to be an anomalous experience. CX J > AC J 99 times out of 100, and is certainly worth a modest price premium.
99 times out of 100 in 2015? I think that's an overstatement. Perhaps "back in the day".

One of the more popular 2015 threads in the CX forum is on the state of J catering. For me the food was the biggest disappointment.

They can coo "Mr. Zorn" at me all they like, and they can wheel carts of food around to their heart's content, but when the food's disappointing, the food's disappointing.

The seats are roughly equivalent as far as I'm concerned. Both relatively recent flat bed J products with little to choose between them as far as I can tell.

Service from FAs is a wholly personal preference. Personally I like to be left alone. FAs from all airlines are equally good at that.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:14 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
99 times out of 100 in 2015? I think that's an overstatement. Perhaps "back in the day".

One of the more popular 2015 threads in the CX forum is on the state of J catering. For me the food was the biggest disappointment.

They can coo "Mr. Zorn" at me all they like, and they can wheel carts of food around to their heart's content, but when the food's disappointing, the food's disappointing.

The seats are roughly equivalent as far as I'm concerned. Both relatively recent flat bed J products with little to choose between them as far as I can tell.

Service from FAs is a wholly personal preference. Personally I like to be left alone. FAs from all airlines are equally good at that.
The seats are not roughly equivalent as you state...

AC has been using the herringbone business class seat since 2007, while Cathay has been using the Cirrus business class seat since 2011, which is more modern and spacious. CX seats also face the window and the middle seats slightly facing each other, which is ideal when one travel with his spouse. This is not the case with the current herringbone AC business class seat.

Also the cleanliness onboard CX flights is superior to what I have encountered on AC.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
The seats are not roughly equivalent as you state...

AC has been using the herringbone business class seat since 2007, while Cathay has been using the Cirrus business class seat since 2011, which is more modern and spacious. CX seats also face the window and the middle seats slightly facing each other, which is ideal when one travel with his spouse. This is not the case with the current herringbone AC business class seat.

Also the cleanliness onboard CX flights is superior to what I have encountered on AC.
What you describe as the "current herringbone AC business class seat" is the "old" seat that's getting replaced on almost all aircraft over the next year.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite

While the food has gotten worse over the years its still better than food on AC.

At least for the Asian themed meals.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
What you describe as the "current herringbone AC business class seat" is the "old" seat that's getting replaced on almost all aircraft over the next year.
Yes I know, but on the YYZ HKG route with the 777-200, this will not be replaced before spring 2016, if not summer 2016...

Therefore if one has to fly this route for the weeks to come, you are stuck with the old herringbone seats.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:37 pm

Well there's no doubt at all that for $1000 less, CX is the way to go. Just don't expect a life changing experience.

If AC were $1000 less I'd say AC would have been the way to go just the same.

The cash value of better CX lounges and I'll happily concede a better seating arrangement for a couple travelling together (almost never relevant for me - in fact I think people should be discouraged from talking during flights!) I wouldn't put at more than $100 all in.

For those whose opinion is that CX food is fact significantly and consistently better, OK, what's value of the difference? It would be hard to take seriously more than 30 to 50 dollars.

My only point it that all else being equal, the difference between CX and AC in J is insufficient to pay much of a premium for.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:49 pm

Well there's no doubt at all that for $1000 less, CX is the way to go. Just don't expect a life changing experience.

If AC were $1000 less I'd say AC would have been the way to go just the same.

The cash value of better CX lounges and I'll happily concede a better seating arrangement for a couple travelling together (almost never relevant for me - in fact I think people should be discouraged from talking during flights!) I wouldn't put at more than $100 all in.

For those whose opinion is that CX food is fact significantly and consistently better, OK, what's value of the difference? It would be hard to take seriously more than 30 to 50 dollars.

My only point it that all else being equal, the difference between CX and AC in J is insufficient to pay much of a premium for.
You forgot to mention that the IFE on CX offers far more selection, choice and updates in terms of movies, TV episodes and music than what AC offers.

I agree with your assessment on the meals, this said, the wines and Champagne on CX are better than what you have on AC.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
yeah, AC is upgrading seats...to a copy of the CX version.

so then (if the AC new seat was available to the OP) it becomes soft product + lounges + price as the determining factor. In which case....CX still wins!
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 119394
Thanks for the quick reply. So they are equally good then :-)

The only thing I don't like is their schedule, especially for us flying out from YOW. But two of us is over $2K! humm.
How is it difficult?
WS 3485 Y YOWYYZ 2000 2119
(next day)
CX 829 I YYZHKG 0120 0600+1
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
How is it difficult?
WS 3485 Y YOWYYZ 2000 2119
(next day)
CX 829 I YYZHKG 0120 0600+1
Probably by comparison, even though it is only a 4hr wait.

AC441 07:00 08:20 YOWYYZ E90
AC015 10:00 14:40 YYZHKG 77L

That said CX825 could open up more possibilities with a 1415 departure time ex-YYZ 3x/week. Under 3hr connection, and if you want cathaypacific.com sells the domestic leg in AC J.

If you haven't tried CX and don't need an early afternoon arrival time in HKG, you may as well give them a shot. My service this week with CX was top notch.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Just booked AC LGA-YYZ-HKG on PE instead of CX PE flying next June. AC was $1800 vs CX $2800. Z on AC was $5500 RT vs $7800 on CX!!!

No brainer which airline I bought the tix for me and my wife

GT
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
Just booked AC LGA-YYZ-HKG on PE instead of CX PE flying next June. AC was $1800 vs CX $2800. Z on AC was $5500 RT vs $7800 on CX!!!

No brainer which airline I bought the tix for me and my wife

GT
Great for you since you are based in NY, prices will be more competitive with a stop in Toronto, compared to a non stop JFK-HKG on CX .

But being based in Canada, I just booked a YUL-HKG on December 8 to 13,
$ Cdn 5225 on CX , compared to $ Cdn 6685 on AC with their Z fare.

A no brainer indeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.