Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to book flights using AP

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Best way to book flights using AP

Pardon my newbie questions, am trying to book flights using AP for the first time, it seems AP site has far fewer selections than airline sites or travel sites. Can I build my itinerary from external sites (such as http://matrix.itasoftware.com/) and just phone into AP and give them my itinerary? what I mean is, do you get more selections by calling in?

Thanks a lot!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by marklin
Pardon my newbie questions, am trying to book flights using AP for the first time, it seems AP site has far fewer selections than airline sites or travel sites. Can I build my itinerary from external sites (such as http://matrix.itasoftware.com/) and just phone into AP and give them my itinerary? what I mean is, do you get more selections by calling in?

Thanks a lot!
You are comparing apples to oranges. Meaning, what is available for purchase (with actual money) isn't the same as what's available with Aeroplan miles.

That said, it is possible (subject to the changes being discussed in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-oct-29-a.html) that there will be some itineraries available that don't turn up on the AE website - I find this particularly when trying to book with a next-day connection (but still within 24 hours, so absolutely allowed).

Any particular itinerary you're looking at?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:46 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Look at each segment you want on united website (for example) for saver award availability. If there is, you can book using aeroplan miles. Have to phone in and spoon feed the segments to the agents and pay $30. Keep in mind if you are looking at international business classes, those seats usually dry up 355 days out when they are released.

EDIT: And welcome to FT!

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Oct 29, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott

Thanks a lot!
For popular routes, you need to book as early as possible.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input! Much appreciated!

We are looking at yow-nrt-tpe-yvr-yow for next March, so far many routes still turn up on AP site, I don't mind paying the $30 fee if i can avoid AC at all cost. Do you think it'll be too risky if I wait till after xmas to book? For a family of 4? Thanks again!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Thanks for all your input! Much appreciated!

We are looking at yow-nrt-tpe-yvr-yow for next March, so far many routes still turn up on AP site, I don't mind paying the $30 fee if i can avoid AC at all cost. Do you think it'll be too risky if I wait till after xmas to book? For a family of 4? Thanks again!
Finding low YQ (fuel surcharge) availability is going to be hard, especially with a family of four. I would look ASAP.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by montezume
Finding low YQ (fuel surcharge) availability is going to be hard, especially with a family of four. I would look ASAP.
Agreed. I booked in August for July - 2 business seats to Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.