Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Possible to book a PEK-FNJ (Pyongyang, North Korea) award?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M

I noticed the ae.com shows PEK-FNJ at 20K for USD 30, but since I don't have miles cannot do a test booking to see if this route will be issued. Has anyone recently booked such an award? If not, can someone who has miles try to go as far as the credit card entry page and see if an error occurs?

Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Can get to the CC page.

20k + $33.50
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Air Koryo is a codeshare?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC 75K
No. Air China flies the route.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
And the booking would be useless, while its really easy to get the visa, you cannot enter NK unless part of a tour Although technically it would be possible (albeit very expensive) to have a private tour.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: Enough
Awesome! Air China used to never release inventory for FNJ, but now that it does, makes my life easier
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
I believe those organized tours use special charter flights from PEK, usually coinciding with a national propaganda event (DPRK national games, Kim's birthday, etc.) You can't just take a random flight there.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
You can't just take a random flight there unless you're an accredited diplomat or aid worker.

Contact a tour agency if you want to go - Koryo Tours is the biggest and probably best (has been around the longest and seems to have the best contacts in DPRK). I've been and would highly recommend going. It's very strange, but it's the only place you can see a real closed society, and it probably won't last forever.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
You can't just take a random flight there unless you're an accredited diplomat or aid worker.

Contact a tour agency if you want to go - Koryo Tours is the biggest and probably best (has been around the longest and seems to have the best contacts in DPRK). I've been and would highly recommend going. It's very strange, but it's the only place you can see a real closed society, and it probably won't last forever.
Koryo Tours is certainly not the best. They may have been around the longest, which is I guess they grossly overprice their tours. All the tours are exactly the same - in the end you are following the exact same itinerary, eating in the exact same places, seeing the same things, as you well know, the tours are actually run by the Koreans, not by the company you book with.

But yes, it is an interesting trip. Its like visiting another planet. The Mass Games were simply mindblowing.

Shameless plug for my sortof trip report:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-tu-204-a.html
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Koryo Tours is certainly not the best. They may have been around the longest, which is I guess they grossly overprice their tours. All the tours are exactly the same - in the end you are following the exact same itinerary, eating in the exact same places, seeing the same things, as you well know, the tours are actually run by the Koreans, not by the company you book with.

But yes, it is an interesting trip. Its like visiting another planet. The Mass Games were simply mindblowing.

wow, thanks for the rare trip report rankourabu.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: Enough
I'm looking at going with KoreaKonsult, who are substantially cheaper than Koryo Tours (and offer the exact same thing)
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krayZpaving

I won't be taking a random flight. I will definitely book a package. Some of these packages seem to have an option to select JS or CA, so I was wondering if I could select CA and opt to buy that ticket by myself.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Just read your trip report. Great photos!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looking to go in July and I think CA has stopped releasing award availability at least according to ae.com
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
It is not worth it to book your own flight as the tours usually include one flight and one train with an upgrade for a very minimal amount of money (much less than point value). Plus, having been on air koryo, it is certainly worth the experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.