Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Official AC Representative Q&A Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jasper2009
Dear AC forum members,

We're sure most of you have been following New AC Presence on FT which has received a huge amount of responses.

In order to better manage the discussion and to ensure the AC representatives have a chance to read and reply to all the comments and questions, we've decided to slightly modify the format of the discussion:

(1) The core purpose of this thread is to allow a dialogue between FTers and AC management. As in the previous thread you may ask questions and provide feedback to AC management and the AC representatives will do their best to reply to the feedback/questions posted.
(2) FTers are welcome to reply to any of the AC representatives' posts.
(3) We kindly ask that FTers refrain from replying to other FTers' posts. The goal is to have a more streamlined Q&A thread.
(4) If you have any suggestions regarding this thread, kindly contact any of the moderators via PM or send a message using the RBP button.
(5) Should you not have received a reply to a question raised in the previous AC presence thread, you may re-post it in the new thread.

Thanks for your cooperation.

And, by multiple requests from forum members, this thread is now a sticky!

Air Canada forum moderators
Print Wikipost

Official AC Representative Q&A Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: AC SE; Bonvoy Titanium
Dear Ben,

I'd like to bring to your attention some possibilities that could make life a bit easier for Air Canada and myself. I am based in Europe and fly to Canada once or twice a month plus a lot of domestic flying (international J class, domestic Flex). Some of the flight passes and the special offers on flight passes to Europe in j are quite appealing to me and two other colleagues that fly the routes frequently.
Although I am a SE I cannot buy any Air Canada flight passes, same is true for our company. Why don't you allow flight pass purchases also for people not residing in Canada?
Consequently also the third package of the select priviledges are worthless since they are all tied to flight pass activities. I would love to see altitude allowing international members the possibility to trade all priviledges from bundle two and three for an extra choice out of bundle one.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII

If you consider offering a fourth lounge at YYZ, why not make it just for SEs (and companions)? You can also have the upper tier members (which have 3 tiers) of other Star Alliance carriers (eg LH, LX) access these lounges; perhaps true first class passengers of any Star Alliance carriers serving YYZ can also access such a lounge. Of course, I hope you know what I am getting at- perhaps with a reciprocal arrangement, perhaps SEs (and one travelling companion), even if not flying true first class on any Star Alliance carrier, can access the first class lounges of LH, LX, UA (maybe even Asian carriers such as SQ, Thai, Asiana etc).

Similarly, if you expand lounges, why not add a section for SEs (and their travelling companions)?
I did not realize that there is a whole thread on the issue of lounges (or sections of lounges) for SEs/first class passengers (on other Star Alliance airlines):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...lounges-2.html
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC SE
Ben(s),

is it possible to have an opt-in to store our language preference for aeroplan/reservations/concierge based on phone number? I realize not everyone might like this, but if it's optional, I'd certainly appreciate less phone manipulations. Could it either be added as a menu choice in the phone menu, or on our altitude profile webpage?

On that note, I was also puzzled on why I received another choice menu after selecting language on the concierge line. Are these routed to different services? If not, why not save time and put through immediately? And if they are, wouldn't it make sense to have a single concierge number (maybe like the centralized concierge suggestion) for non-urgent calls? I for one certainly would accept longer wait for an issue for a later date than when I'm trying to get them to hold my connection closing in 5 min while I'm arriving on the tarmac..

Disclaimer: I'm a first time but satisfied user of concierge line. I am well aware I've only scratched the surface of concierge services so far.
Note: Please pass on my thanks for tight call on AC237 today to YEG crew!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:49 am

We're aware of the issue and IT is working on it.[/QUOTE]

I'm bumping this because because it has been 5 days since I posted this and the problem is still happening. The very odd thing about this error is it only happens when trying to see the seat selection in Rouge Business/Premium...it does not happen when you click to see Rouge Economy seating or any Mainline seating.....just Rouge Premium.......very very strange
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: Diners, AP E50K, World Elite MC, Fairmont Presidents, Ritz Rewards Elite, .....
From a purely selfish request mode comes this thought.

Regarding benefits for elites 35K up. Would you consider a change to the upgrade companion concept?

Mr. Frorose travels enough but not enough to be super elite. I travel as well but purely for leisure (generally). For long haul flights I always buy J but shorter hauls I book economy. (hence my disdain for the TPA rouging....I digress)

In the past Mr. Frorose has always had me as his nominee because his coworkers all have their own status. We don't always travel together so that was a nice little perk. He usually gave me his eupgrades en mass to use for myself. I enjoyed that.

That has been taken away this year and I was wondering. Instead of having it as an automatic benefit for "companion" travelling with. Could you not make it an option to either choose a specific nominee (to be used at their discretion) or a companion with option when we select the add ons for the year? I wouldn't want to see it replace any of the existing add ons but in addition to?

I don't know how other FF's feel about this but like I said...it's really from a selfish point of view. I miss my upgrades when I could get them
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Lounge Access on Economy Segment (Express) on Business Class Ticket

Have friends booked in J YYC-YYZ and then Y to YAM same day (tomorrow) on Aeroplan reward.

Will they have problems with lounge access in Toronto? What is the rule. The AC website is a bit vague.

"Maple Leaf Lounge access is available to all customers travelling in Business Class, as well as to passengers with proof of active membership in any of the programs listed below.

When arriving at the Maple leaf Lounge, please present proof of applicable membership/status as well as proof of same-day confirmed travel on a departing:
•Air Canada or Air Canada rouge flight
•Air Canada Express flight operated by Jazz,
•Star Alliance or Air Canada codeshare flight."

Experience reading through the threads seems to have been mixed--some have been denied access in similar situations. Can you quote a Air Canada rule that lounge agents look up?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Hi. Yes, I fly AC. You guys often show how AC is positioned WRT other airlines. Also a desire for a level playing field. LAN ( Skytrax repeat winner for best airline in South America and belonging to the best airline alliance in the world ) offers something you might want to consider. If pregnant women and mothers with newborns have difficulty maintaining their FF status on LANPASS, all they have to do is write in and LAN will extend their current status during maternity leave. Seems a pretty progressive way to level the playing field to respect differences in male/female anatomy.

In a similar vein, FFs with status can have erratic flying patterns for legitimate reasons (health, work, family related). LAN has a “soft landing” policy whereby you can only drop one status level year over year. I think some other airlines also have this policy, but not AC. Why?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:28 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Have friends booked in J YYC-YYZ and then Y to YAM same day (tomorrow) on Aeroplan reward.

Will they have problems with lounge access in Toronto? What is the rule. The AC website is a bit vague.

"Maple Leaf Lounge access is available to all customers travelling in Business Class, as well as to passengers with proof of active membership in any of the programs listed below.

When arriving at the Maple leaf Lounge, please present proof of applicable membership/status as well as proof of same-day confirmed travel on a departing:
•Air Canada or Air Canada rouge flight
•Air Canada Express flight operated by Jazz,
•Star Alliance or Air Canada codeshare flight."

Experience reading through the threads seems to have been mixed--some have been denied access in similar situations. Can you quote a Air Canada rule that lounge agents look up?
As long as this has been booked on one ticket, is for an AC flight (Star flights don't qualify, unfortunately), and is in an AC lounge, you will have no problem getting access. The agents should reference your itinerary and see that you have a connecting inbound/outbound flight in J. If they have doubts, they can verify the ACpedia document entitled "Maple Leaf Lounge (MLL) - Access by Ticket, Membership, Employees, ACV, Children"
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:30 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Hi. Yes, I fly AC. You guys often show how AC is positioned WRT other airlines. Also a desire for a level playing field. LAN ( Skytrax repeat winner for best airline in South America and belonging to the best airline alliance in the world ) offers something you might want to consider. If pregnant women and mothers with newborns have difficulty maintaining their FF status on LANPASS, all they have to do is write in and LAN will extend their current status during maternity leave. Seems a pretty progressive way to level the playing field to respect differences in male/female anatomy.

In a similar vein, FFs with status can have erratic flying patterns for legitimate reasons (health, work, family related). LAN has a “soft landing” policy whereby you can only drop one status level year over year. I think some other airlines also have this policy, but not AC. Why?
I can tell you that, although this isn't a published benefit, we've definitely made exceptions to this extent in the past. YMMV of course, and each situation is unique, but it's certainly not unheard of.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:31 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by CanTraveller
Dear Ben,

I'd like to bring to your attention some possibilities that could make life a bit easier for Air Canada and myself. I am based in Europe and fly to Canada once or twice a month plus a lot of domestic flying (international J class, domestic Flex). Some of the flight passes and the special offers on flight passes to Europe in j are quite appealing to me and two other colleagues that fly the routes frequently.
Although I am a SE I cannot buy any Air Canada flight passes, same is true for our company. Why don't you allow flight pass purchases also for people not residing in Canada?
Consequently also the third package of the select priviledges are worthless since they are all tied to flight pass activities. I would love to see altitude allowing international members the possibility to trade all priviledges from bundle two and three for an extra choice out of bundle one.
It's something we're looking at, but I've mentioned before it's difficult due to residency and tax implications.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: AC Elite 50K
A321s and Disappearing J Seats

Can you confirm its not our eyes playing tricks on us? That in fact A321s are getting another 12 economy seats?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Hi Bens,

Thanks for the continued engagement here.

I have a ticket that was purchased for me by work through our travel agent. It was booked in Tango. I want to change it to Flex (no change to the itinerary, just paying up to the Flex fare so I can upgrade). However, agents in the call centre have told me this is no longer possible to do. I've done it in the past, so just wondering if there's been a policy change, and if there's a way around it.

Thanks
Hi Ben - just bumping this now you're back. Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:27 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Hi Ben - just bumping this now you're back. Thanks!
This should be no problem, unless you booked via a travel agent. Just call in and tell them you'd like to buy up to Flex and they should be able to reprice ticket for you.

EDIT: Sorry just saw you booked through a TA - therein lies the problem. We aren't allowed to touch tickets purchased through a TA unless it's exceptional circumstances (think IRROPS, etc.), unfortunately. In the past you might have found agents that weren't well versed in these rules, but the agents telling you that they're unable to modify the reservation are indeed correct. Sorry about that!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
This should be no problem, unless you booked via a travel agent. Just call in and tell them you'd like to buy up to Flex and they should be able to reprice ticket for you.

EDIT: Sorry just saw you booked through a TA - therein lies the problem. We aren't allowed to touch tickets purchased through a TA unless it's exceptional circumstances (think IRROPS, etc.), unfortunately. In the past you might have found agents that weren't well versed in these rules, but the agents telling you that they're unable to modify the reservation are indeed correct. Sorry about that!
Does this apply even 24 hrs before the flight when the airport has control. If there is R space, I would like to pay up to flex with my own CC and use eupgs. Or sometimes just for seat selection on a red eye. Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:27 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by vernonc
Does this apply even 24 hrs before the flight when the airport has control. If there is R space, I would like to pay up to flex with my own CC and use eupgs. Or sometimes just for seat selection on a red eye. Thanks.
Hmm, good question. Let me see if I can find out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.