Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why an Air Canada plane in SIN?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AC Maintenance/ Conversion

Does AC have any videos of this kind of work?

EK 380 3C-Check video - front page FT. Very cool

http://www.flyertalk.com/story/watch...nspection.html
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
I really don't see why anyone is complaining AC services some planes outside Canada. So what? It's their fiduciary duty. It's also their fiduciary duty to strong arm, lie, cheat, bribe, and do whatever else is necessary to preserve their virtual monopoly in Canada, not for the benefit of Canadians (ideally they want the exact opposite), but for their shareholders. There's nothing wrong with that. There is, however, something wrong with a government that acquiesces to this state of affairs assuming it is suboptimal for All Canadians.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by yulred
I think you're mistaking the word 'honesty' with 'ideology'.

Honesty belongs on the campus. Or in a church. Or in a boardroom. Though it is evidently in short supply in at least one boardroom, if this board is any indicator.
What about it? I sit on a couple boards and we honestly pursue the course of action that is best for the company. That's our job; literally, we have a legal obligation to act in the best interest of the company.

It's not our job to pursue the course of action that is best for the 'taxpayer', that's the government's job. We argue for what benefits us, our competitors do the same, other impacted parties do the same, eventually the government decides where the balance should lie and we then deal with the result. How is any of this dishonest?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by rehoult
What about it? I sit on a couple boards and we honestly pursue the course of action that is best for the company. That's our job; literally, we have a legal obligation to act in the best interest of the company.

It's not our job to pursue the course of action that is best for the 'taxpayer', that's the government's job. We argue for what benefits us, our competitors do the same, other impacted parties do the same, eventually the government decides where the balance should lie and we then deal with the result. How is any of this dishonest?
One can pursue the course of action that is best for the company without engaging in outright dishonesty. Do you or the companies you work in demand protection for your company to protect Canadian jobs, and then ship those Canadian jobs overseas once you secured the protection on the grounds that you were saving Canadian jobs (which was evidently not the case)? It just makes a mockery of the plight of those who do face outsourcing. 'Dishonest' is a mild characterization - many would call this type of opportunism a symptom of far worse traits. In AC's case, there are many a recent thread that suggest it is institutional.

I don't think it's the governments role to figure out when boards or executives or companies are being dishonest. We would need a very large government (full of inquisitors, no doubt) to do that, which wouldn't be in anyone's interest. I simply don't buy the notion that companies are entitled to be dishonest, nor do I believe that it is acceptable on the grounds that the government exists to police them. Of course, if we're going that route, why not do it properly: nationalize. That ll keep companies in check.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
I really don't see why anyone is complaining AC services some planes outside Canada. So what? It's their fiduciary duty. It's also their fiduciary duty to strong arm, lie, cheat, bribe, and do whatever else is necessary to preserve their virtual monopoly in Canada, not for the benefit of Canadians (ideally they want the exact opposite), but for their shareholders. There's nothing wrong with that. There is, however, something wrong with a government that acquiesces to this state of affairs assuming it is suboptimal for All Canadians.
i don't think you are using the term fiduciary in this corporate context correctly by making reference to AC itself owing the same, but i do agree with you.

i don't subscribe to the south park "Dey turk err jurbs,"....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobacks
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
777s and 333s have heavy checks done in Singapore. Rouge 763 conversions which can take 50+ days are also done there. I believe the relatively uncommon D checks can take around 40,000 man hours so a savings of even $10/hr by not paying Canadian AME wages or benefits adds up to a lot of money.

The 333s and 763s are ferried in from YVR, though it is easy to see that with such long checks they have a good shot at recouping fuel expense to get there. The 777s are rotated in off HKG flights and have just a short 3hr hop to SIN, so they must be a no brainer for AC. In previous winters there were pretty common 77W subs for the 77L YYZ-HKG - just to rotate in/out of SIN.
my point exactly, In Canada AC would SAVE money on wages! Singapore is NOT a low wage country.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:57 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by why fly
my point exactly, In Canada AC would SAVE money on wages! Singapore is NOT a low wage country.
So you're suggesting they are flying to Singapore to pay more?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Not to nitpick, but it is also their fiduciary duty, not to mention their general obligation to whichever communities they belong to, to not break the law. Lying, cheating and bribery typically amount to breaking the law. I don't think any Canadian court will buy into the premise that there is 'nothing wrong' with bribery, lying or cheating. Quite the contrary, I expect. It's why we have organizations like the Competition Bureau, which once found AC guilty of predatory pricing. I'm not too keen on expanding government just because companies have a fiduciary duty to cheat, lie or bribe. But to each, their own.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by PLeblond
So you're suggesting they are flying to Singapore to pay more?
Or it was just Air Canada inability to manage a repair facility efficiently?

Its not just wages that make a place efficient.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
It's my understanding for moving the maintenance was not hourly wage cost, buy mostly productivity(extra labour cost/aircraft downtime)cost. Productivity was very low in YVR and YUL, which caused huge hidden costs. Planes maintenance was taken longer than normal, plus planes were returning late. AC lossed most of its contract work because of this. The union instead of trying to fix problem, protected the bad apples, causing everyone to loss their jobs.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by yulred
Not to nitpick, but it is also their fiduciary duty, not to mention their general obligation to whichever communities they belong to, to not break the law. Lying, cheating and bribery typically amount to breaking the law. I don't think any Canadian court will buy into the premise that there is 'nothing wrong' with bribery, lying or cheating. Quite the contrary, I expect. It's why we have organizations like the Competition Bureau, which once found AC guilty of predatory pricing. I'm not too keen on expanding government just because companies have a fiduciary duty to cheat, lie or bribe. But to each, their own.
In 2013, Canada also ratified and implemented the OECD Anti-Bribery Convention by legislating the Fighting Foreign Corruption Act (amendment to the Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act), which has create an extra-jurisdictional regime for bribery.

I can bet you AC doesn't bribe
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold

Maybe AC does not want to be a company that has expertise to manage a maintenance facility and wanted to concentrate on their core business.

Many companies perform the same evaluation for IT services. They don't want to invest to become proficient at managing IT services so they outsource to people that do.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kevy_boy
Maybe AC does not want to be a company that expertise to manage a maintenance facility and wanted to concentrate on their core business.

Many companies perform the same evaluation for IT services. They don't want to invest to become proficient at managing IT services so they outsource to people that do.
And how well does that work out for AC IT?

Answer, in the opinion of a lot of people here: not well at all.

Same answer applies to a lot of people that outsource IT, IMO.

Back on topic: I don't really care where the maintenance is done as long as it is done well. AC has a pretty great record for safety, and I wouldn't want to see that compromised. Note that I am not commenting one way or the other on whether outsourcing to Singapore does that. I have no idea and no data and no intuition. I am just saying as a customer I don't really have a dog in the hunt except as far as safety goes.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold
Originally Posted by ridefar
And how well does that work out for AC IT?

Answer, in the opinion of a lot of people here: not well at all.

Same answer applies to a lot of people that outsource IT, IMO.

Back on topic: I don't really care where the maintenance is done as long as it is done well. AC has a pretty great record for safety, and I wouldn't want to see that compromised. Note that I am not commenting one way or the other on whether outsourcing to Singapore does that. I have no idea and no data and no intuition. I am just saying as a customer I don't really have a dog in the hunt except as far as safety goes.
Although it may not be the best, it may be better than if they did it themselves
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:14 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

You're right. They are utterly useless at everything they do. They should just cease all operations immediately and reimburse all customers double whatever they are currently holding in ticket value. Assets should be donated to non profit organizations, all current employees should be jailed and executives immediately taken out back and shot.

Yes, this is meant to be read with extreme sarcasm. Hopefully its fallacy will make certain people realize their previous statements are equally as ludicrous.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 26, 2014 at 1:46 pm Reason: snark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.