Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why an Air Canada plane in SIN?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by 24left
Does AC have any videos of this kind of work?

EK 380 3C-Check video - front page FT. Very cool

http://www.flyertalk.com/story/watch...nspection.html
I've not seen one on AC's work, but here is a D check on a 744: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_yHtfGH0nI

Interestingly, BA does all their own work in-house in Cardiff, also not a low wage place. They seem to be able to manage to schedule repairs and do them on schedule. I was actually quite amazed that they can spend 6 weeks doing a D Check and schedule it for a regular longhaul flight the day it is complete and they meet the schedule.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I've not seen one on AC's work, but here is a D check on a 744: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_yHtfGH0nI

Interestingly, BA does all their own work in-house in Cardiff, also not a low wage place. They seem to be able to manage to schedule repairs and do them on schedule. I was actually quite amazed that they can spend 6 weeks doing a D Check and schedule it for a regular longhaul flight the day it is complete and they meet the schedule.

Yes, thanks, I've seen this one before (can't remember if it was on Gizmodo, Sploid or Discovery). The voice-over makes it so much more dramatic
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond
You're right. They are utterly useless at everything they do. They should just cease all operations immediately and reimburse all customers double whatever they are currently holding in ticket value. Assets should be donated to non profit organizations, all current employees should be jailed and executives immediately taken out back and shot.
Nah just nationalize the airline and adopt open skies.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
They seem to be able to manage to schedule repairs and do them on schedule. I was actually quite amazed that they can spend 6 weeks doing a D Check and schedule it for a regular longhaul flight the day it is complete and they meet the schedule.
BA has 57 units of the 747-400 so the likely have at least one unit out of service and in overhaul at all times.
It is not hard to schedule because a second unit does not go to Cardiff until the current unit is finished and ready to go.

AC does the same thing with their A32X fleets. But, when there is not year round work for a smaller fleet it becomes a much bigger job to schedule the units in and out.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
You're right. They are utterly useless at everything they do. They should just cease all operations immediately and reimburse all customers double whatever they are currently holding in ticket value. Assets should be donated to non profit organizations, all current employees should be jailed and executives immediately taken out back and shot.

Yes, this is meant to be read with extreme sarcasm. Hopefully its fallacy will make certain people realize their previous statements are equally as ludicrous.
Oh dear, hit a button with you. Just because AC sent planes to other companies to do its maintenance does not mean it was a "brilliant" decision. It was at a time when AC had no money, and losses were getting worse.
However with AC track record of decisions and profits your right they know what they are doing.
I hope this will make certain people realize, some of their blind beliefs in management are equally ludicrous.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by why fly
Oh dear, hit a button with you. Just because AC sent planes to other companies to do its maintenance does not mean it was a "brilliant" decision. It was at a time when AC had no money, and losses were getting worse.
However with AC track record of decisions and profits your right they know what they are doing.
I hope this will make certain people realize, some of their blind beliefs in management are equally ludicrous.
Well the stock price is certainly doing much better...
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:04 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Not quite. My comments were not specifically in the AC vein, but on a much broader level.

The button you hit is the attitude behind your statement that hints to corporate heads being greedy incompetent ne'er-do-wells who don't care for their customers and will exploit them at any opportunity.

Or that people who choose to call on these big corporations are poor exploited souls that have no alternatives and must be subjected to said exploitation.

We do not live in the 1920s anymore and I wish people could move on from these attitudes, but sadly, I know deep down certain people relish is believing these myths for reasons

But I digress....

Last edited by Braindrain; Nov 26, 2014 at 10:50 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Not quite. My comments were not specifically in the AC vein, but on a much broader level.

The button you hit is the attitude behind your statement that hints to corporate heads being greedy incompetent ne'er-do-wells who don't care for their customers and will exploit them at any opportunity.

Or that people who choose to call on these big corporations are poor exploited souls that have no alternatives and must be subjected to said exploitation.

We do not live in the 1920s anymore and I wish people could move on from these attitudes, but sadly, I know deep down certain people relish is believing these myths for reasons

But I digress....
Wow, do you feel better lowering yourself to petty insults?

Last edited by Braindrain; Nov 26, 2014 at 10:50 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Well the stock price is certainly doing much better...
where is oil priced
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
corporate heads being greedy incompetent ne'er-do-wells who don't care for their customers and will exploit them at any opportunity..
apart from incompetent - this statement would 100% accurate when it comes to most corporations, not just AC.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:34 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Wow, do you feel better lowering yourself to petty insults?
Apologies if you found my statement offensive. I was simply expressing an opinion towards the insulting words used in many comments and not to anyone in particular.

That being said, having found myself in decision making level of many companies (though none as big as AC) I have often faced the brunt of employees and customers who thought (falsely) that those decisions were done out of greed or spite. In most cases, I was obligated to respond with political correctness or disconnected indifference. Luckily, here, I am not limited by those, since I have no skin in the game, other than being a customer.

However, on behalf of the many people who work their asses off in 80 hour weeks to to the best they can given situations over which they have little or no control, I felt compiled to respond.

I have sat by for a long time while people accused AC'S management of being incompetent, greedy, disconnected and a multitude of other comments far more insulting than the comment I made. Since I know if they were to respond to those they will be lambasted by people, I thought maybe one thread in a 100 could stand up for them.

I'm done now. People can continue to accuse them of whatever they desire, I know I have to, once again, lower my expectations of people's comments.

Wow... NOW I feel better. Thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: U1K
That would be a loooooong flight. YVR-SIN is actually further than YVR-SYD. Not sure the economics are do-able. From YYZ its almost the same distance/time connecting through Europe to SIN, and with that, you get to fly SQ.
SG did a non-Stop SIN-JFK. So I think on a 788 or 777 AC can do it.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by YOWisHome
But with an all-J 100 seat A345.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YOWisHome
They did it with the A340-500, which was basically a flying fuel tank, also with an all J config, so much less weight. That being said, YYZ-SIN would theoretically be possible with the 77L.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: U1K
okay -- Said SG did a SIN-JFK. Then said AC could do a 787 or 777 route. How does that mean that you have to bing in J? That was cause on that route it was all Wall Street Biz so they could do that like there was no tomorrow.

AC could do a YYZ-SIN or YVR-SIN and it would work. Spent too many connections on SIN-HKG-Yxx to prove it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.