Wiki Posts
Search

Seating AC staff

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Seating AC staff

Some people think AC staff should not be seated in J because it detracts from the exclusivity there. Others I suspect prefer they sit in the last rows. I have a different opinion. Rather than being randomly seated, AC staff, in uniform or vacationing, should preferentially be seated in the exit rows. These folks have extensive training in the safety protocols and, unlike us, have even practised opening the emergency exit doors. AC has a great safety record and could fly thousands and thousands of flights where this protocol would be meaningless, but in that one rare instance where it actually might make a difference, I would surely prefer for my own safety, your safety, and their safety, to have trained AC staff sitting in the exit rows.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Some people think AC staff should not be seated in J because it detracts from the exclusivity there. Others I suspect prefer they sit in the last rows. I have a different opinion. Rather than being randomly seated, AC staff, in uniform or vacationing, should preferentially be seated in the exit rows. These folks have extensive training in the safety protocols and, unlike us, have even practised opening the emergency exit doors. AC has a great safety record and could fly thousands and thousands of flights where this protocol would be meaningless, but in that one rare instance where it actually might make a difference, I would surely prefer for my own safety, your safety, and their safety, to have trained AC staff sitting in the exit rows.
It's an interesting concept, but exit rows remain on most airlines (in spite of instances of limited recline & cold temperatures) a preferred seating area by revenue customers. Not sure how well this would go over with the travelling public and of course..here on FT. You're probably referring to flight crew as a RES Agent or Cargo Employee would have no greater expertise on exit operations than an informed revenue customer.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
It's an interesting concept, but exit rows remain on most airlines (in spite of instances of limited recline & cold temperatures) a preferred seating area by revenue customers. Not sure how well this would go over with the travelling public and of course..here on FT. You're probably referring to flight crew as a RES Agent or Cargo Employee would have no greater expertise on exit operations than an informed revenue customer.
But that same argument can be made for J seats no?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Very good concept. Safety is more important than anything else.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday
But that same argument can be made for J seats no?
No. As per the OP's thread, there are no J/C seats or Customers occupying them that require an individual safety briefing for the purpose of door/exit operation unless they are classified as "special attention" guests.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Well, yes, but lets work with the idea a bit. Then only flight crew, or even AC staff in uniform there.

There is a Peruvian company that makes (cheaper) thinner water bottles. They have turned the negative into an advertising positive. They promote the bottle as thinner, lighter, as if it is a new better way. Smart PR.

AC could do the same, make it into a positive. And fortunately today, for added safety, we have seated trained AC staff in the emergency exit rows.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:51 am

I like the concept +1 for me.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
-1 from me. I like exit rows. If it was truly difficult to operate the exit doors the FAA would mandate that only staff that are qualified and trained sit there. They are simple in design for a reason and I suspect that once you pull the handle the door will open easily and you just toss the thing out. Its not rocket science.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
-10 from me. Exit rows are about the last refuge in Y in the current seat-shrinking madness. I would never give up twelve comfortable seat choices for the infinitesimal chance that the exit row might need to be used *AND* none of the pax seated in there would be capable of operating it. You have a better chance of being run over by a car AND subsequently your ambulance crashing into a train AND then being struck by lightning.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
-10 from me. Exit rows are about the last refuge in Y in the current seat-shrinking madness. I would never give up twelve comfortable seat choices for the infinitesimal chance that the exit row might need to be used *AND* none of the pax seated in there would be capable of operating it. You have a better chance of being run over by a car AND subsequently your ambulance crashing into a train AND then being struck by lightning.
I had two flights on United on Saturday where there was someone in the exit row who was large enough that I don't think they would have fit through that door if necessary. I don't understand how the flight attendants can ask "are you able to assist?" when it's visibly obvious that while they may be able to get the door open, they'd then be stuck. So I think there is a safety issue, in that there are often people there who would not be able to operate the exit.

Also, I believe the OP's point was that rather than seating them in J, they would be seated in an exit row. So this would take up the "nice" exit row seats, but free up the much nicer J seats.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I had two flights on United on Saturday where there was someone in the exit row who was large enough that I don't think they would have fit through that door if necessary. I don't understand how the flight attendants can ask "are you able to assist?" when it's visibly obvious that while they may be able to get the door open, they'd then be stuck. So I think there is a safety issue, in that there are often people there who would not be able to operate the exit.
I'm not sure if that would really be much of a problem. Skin and other "fleshy" material are quite malleable - especially when there are dozens of people behind pushing to get out.

Originally Posted by canadiancow;
Also, I believe the OP's point was that rather than seating them in J, they would be seated in an exit row. So this would take up the "nice" exit row seats, but free up the much nicer J seats.
Other than pilots (contractual obligation I believe) I don't think airline staff occupy a J seat unless there is space for them - meaning all upgrade requests have been processed.

I have been on numerous SFO-YYZ, LAX-YYZ, YVR-YYZ, Rapidair flights where there have been open J seats, so I think it's just the luck of the draw re: J upgrades, staff in J, etc.

I also have no issue with airline crew (both cockpit and cabin) sitting in J - in lieu of upgrade requested PAX - when they are deadhead to the beginning of their pairing - essentially starting work. I would like to believe that the crew of any flight I am taking are adequately rested and comfortable so they can perform their safety duties adequately.

If they're at the end of their pairing and just going home with no more work, then I don't think their positive space on the aircraft should include J seating in lieu of upgrade requests.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So I think there is a safety issue, in that there are often people there who would not be able to operate the exit.
This is a problem of not following established safety procedures. The solution is to enforce existing rules, not seat airline staff in exit rows.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA silver
I sat beside an AC reservation agent on a flight from TPA to YYZ. He said he didn't know whether he would get a seat at all on the flight till boarding. I think Y was full. Same with his onward flight in Canada. He also got last food choice. My upgrade (as P25) cleared two days out so I think there was pretty low demand from upgrading passengers. So sounds like he was travelling on a standby basis with plenty of uncertainty.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:40 am

Exit row for AC Employees? Sounds good in theory....until they are the first ones out leaving the rest of the PAX's and Staff on the plane!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyz-kin
Exit row for AC Employees? Sounds good in theory....until they are the first ones out leaving the rest of the PAX's and Staff on the plane!
Sounds like the odds of an AC staff actually using their training to look out the window and assess the exterior situation, check smoke conditions inside the aircraft, co-ordinate with working staff (if they are no too injured) and, yes, assisting pax, would be greater than if you were there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.