FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seating AC staff
View Single Post
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:49 am
jaysona

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I had two flights on United on Saturday where there was someone in the exit row who was large enough that I don't think they would have fit through that door if necessary. I don't understand how the flight attendants can ask "are you able to assist?" when it's visibly obvious that while they may be able to get the door open, they'd then be stuck. So I think there is a safety issue, in that there are often people there who would not be able to operate the exit.
I'm not sure if that would really be much of a problem. Skin and other "fleshy" material are quite malleable - especially when there are dozens of people behind pushing to get out.

Originally Posted by canadiancow;
Also, I believe the OP's point was that rather than seating them in J, they would be seated in an exit row. So this would take up the "nice" exit row seats, but free up the much nicer J seats.
Other than pilots (contractual obligation I believe) I don't think airline staff occupy a J seat unless there is space for them - meaning all upgrade requests have been processed.

I have been on numerous SFO-YYZ, LAX-YYZ, YVR-YYZ, Rapidair flights where there have been open J seats, so I think it's just the luck of the draw re: J upgrades, staff in J, etc.

I also have no issue with airline crew (both cockpit and cabin) sitting in J - in lieu of upgrade requested PAX - when they are deadhead to the beginning of their pairing - essentially starting work. I would like to believe that the crew of any flight I am taking are adequately rested and comfortable so they can perform their safety duties adequately.

If they're at the end of their pairing and just going home with no more work, then I don't think their positive space on the aircraft should include J seating in lieu of upgrade requests.