Wiki Posts
Search

Scamcharges and fares to HKG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2013, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Scamcharges and fares to HKG

I was just checking out a combined Award/Revenue trip from YXU-HKG. The total of taxes/surcharges on the revenue ticket was ~$68, with no fuel surcharge. On the the AE ticket it was $388.90, of which ~$317 was a fuel surcharge. It's bad enough that AE charges the surcharges that appear on a revenue ticket, but when the revenue ticket doesn't have them ...????

On a related topic, the fares to HKG (and SYD) ex LHR used to be significantly less expensive than ex YYZ, to the extent that it was cost effective to fly from there and get two trips for the price of less than one. Now, it's <$3000 from YYZ and well over over $4K ex LHR. Another enhancement.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Academic
On a related topic, the fares to HKG (and SYD) ex LHR used to be significantly less expensive than ex YYZ, to the extent that it was cost effective to fly from there and get two trips for the price of less than one. Now, it's <$3000 from YYZ and well over over $4K ex LHR. Another enhancement.
Can I assume you're talking about J tickets?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Presumably not. Cheapest J fare from YYZ-HKG on AC is over $6K at the moment.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by antirealist
Presumably not. Cheapest J fare from YYZ-HKG on AC is over $6K at the moment.
OP did not specify AC for the low J price to HKG -KLM and AF are under $2,900 in J for the summer.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM
I was just checking out a combined Award/Revenue trip from YXU-HKG. The total of taxes/surcharges on the revenue ticket was ~$68, with no fuel surcharge. On the the AE ticket it was $388.90, of which ~$317 was a fuel surcharge. It's bad enough that AE charges the surcharges that appear on a revenue ticket, but when the revenue ticket doesn't have them ...????

just tried YXU-HKG May 5-15 .. it's 1560$ ... all-in
Old Apr 14, 2013, 1:32 am

Programs: A3 *G; AC
Actually, the revenue ticket has the fuel surcharge. It is just hidden in the base fare. You have to click on DETAILS to get to see the fuel surcharge of $316.80. I was fooled into thinking the same thing a while back until I began exploring. AC is just making the taxes look minimal while the fuel surcharge is still there.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by The Lev
OP did not specify AC for the low J price to HKG -KLM and AF are under $2,900 in J for the summer.
Why would you want to travel there in the summer! Stifling Heat
Also I would pay $400 for a J ticket each and everyday. It the best value for Aeroplan redemption. 15hrs is a long flight to be in the back of the bus.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by The Lev
Oops. I was talking about Z, and I was just looking at one way. But even so, the revenue fares are down from Canada and up from LHR. For this trip I don't have much choice but to fly AC, and it is one of the better Award deals wrt scam charges.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
and it is one of the better Award deals wrt scam charges.
Thats because scamcharges in/out of HKG are regulated by the gov't there, and AC cant get away with scamming you more.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Actually all LHR-HKG fares have all been pulled. Last day to purchase was April 2nd. Gone are the $1100 base Flex fares and $5500 base Z fares both of which permitted a stopover or two.

LHR-SYD are still offered, but increased a couple months ago to over $9K in Z

More enhancements !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.