Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to pay $12K to Ottawa couple over lack of French services

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada to pay $12K to Ottawa couple over lack of French services

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:40 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by philelite
Back to my original post, when I'm flying on a flight in Western Canada there are hardly any French speaking people. Why should the crew have to learn another language and required to serve in a different language in a part of Canada where no one speaks French?

I can see the relevance in/out of French speaking regions of Canada, but not other areas. People from Eastern Canada sometimes seem to think they are the only part of Canada that matters.

In my opinion, all announcements should be in English only in this part of Canada (unless requested otherwise). There should be 1 FA that speaks enough French to assist a French speaking passenger if needed.

All those French announcements cut into my IFE -- it's just annoying!
I'll be the first to agree that the safety briefing is too long in both languages and it annoys me.

But I will respond to your statement with the same answer I tell people here in Quebec who preach to protect the French language, at the mercy of other languages: We should strive to be 100% bilingual across the board. Teaching anything else is simple cultivating ignorance. Most Europeans I know speak 2, 3 or 4 languages and if they can do it, so can we.

That being said, if an FA (or anyone else for that matter) speaks to me in english or french, I'll answer in whatever language they are more comfortable. I won't expect to be served in a specific language. But saying 'I don't need to learn another language' would bring us one step closer to our southern neighbours in terms of cultural awareness, and I for one find that a little sad.

My 2 cents.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:47 pm

Why should the crew have to learn another language and required to serve in a different language
Because Air Canada wanted to buy new airplanes.
The Government of Canada did not want to lend the money.
So Air Canada wanted to go private.
The Government of the day held the company to ransom and made them accept being subject to the Official Languages Act.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by NordsFan
I think it's great that you have provided links to the actual decisions. This has been done a half-dozen times in this thread going back over 3 years.

It's simply not helpful though. Folks aren't interested in the boring evidentiary and judicial versions.

They much prefer the sweet & fizzy media version that perpetuates the belief that Monsieur et Madame T and others of their oily Gallic ilk are bothersome stirrers who want to milk the system for millions over obvious trivialities such as competing lemon-lime brands, uniligual traffic tickets and announcements on public transport systems.
Some people really need to be told by (some) medias how they should think. And it is well known that (some) medias are coloring their own reading of the real facts, as well as their own interpretation of the court rulings, before suggesting what the reader must think about something that might -or might not- have happened.

The reality is irrelevant to that kind of people. Unfortunately NordsFan and Rehoult are losing their time and knowledge.

In any case, Air Canada has been blamed for not respecting its obligations. And the ruling in this specific case only applies to international flights. And that 7up-translation-thing is a ROC legend.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by tireman77
I'll be the first to agree that the safety briefing is too long in both languages and it annoys me.

But I will respond to your statement with the same answer I tell people here in Quebec who preach to protect the French language, at the mercy of other languages: We should strive to be 100% bilingual across the board. Teaching anything else is simple cultivating ignorance. Most Europeans I know speak 2, 3 or 4 languages and if they can do it, so can we.

That being said, if an FA (or anyone else for that matter) speaks to me in english or french, I'll answer in whatever language they are more comfortable. I won't expect to be served in a specific language. But saying 'I don't need to learn another language' would bring us one step closer to our southern neighbours in terms of cultural awareness, and I for one find that a little sad.

My 2 cents.
Well-said in any language^
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Perhaps you prefer reading of the Sprite incident from the judgement, rather than respected news organizations - as though it makes any difference at all .........
You really don’t see any difference between a Supreme Court decision and a newspaper article? Ever heard about something that is called the rule of law?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by LearningToFly
You really don’t see any difference between a Supreme Court decision and a newspaper article? Ever heard about something that is called the rule of law?
The Supreme Court's decision has what exactly to do with a COMPLAINT filed by the Thibodeaus? Ever head of courts being what decides cases, not choosing what the complaints themselves are?

This whole back-and-fourth was about whether the 7UP incident took place and if that was a complaint of Thibodeau - which it was. Not the Court's decision itself.

You may also have noticed that the articles are from before the Supreme Court's decision was given, so how could I be referencing them in relation to a decision?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
We are finding it funny he is complaining about receiving a Sprite instead of 7UP. As the quote below shows, he did.

http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/doc/...2011fc876.html

[160] Mr. Thibodeau also criticized the attitude of a flight attendant on the flight from Charlotte to Toronto on May 12, 2009. His affidavit contains the following statements:

[translation]

38. At 11:46 a.m., the flight attendant came by and asked my wife and me, “Anything to drink folks?” Lynda said, “Rien merci” [No, thank you]. I told her “Je vais prendre un 7-Up s.v.p.” [I would like a 7-Up, please]. She served me a Sprite.
Exactly. Seven-Up and Sprite are two english words. The complaint is certainly not about translation here.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: A3*G, AT Gold, National Exec Elite
I agree with the Supreme Court Ruling.

I want to know why Air Canada is held to such high standards? ...
philelite, I guess you don't agree with the Supreme Court ruling then? They, as well as Air Canada, agreed that Air Canada broke the law and breached its official languages obligations. They only found that Air Canada didn't not have to pay damages since the Montreal Convention limits airlines' liability on international flights. If the flight had been domestic, damages would be due…
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by rehoult
Of course you're within your right to sue if problems haven't been fixed, and I would encourage such behavior as it's the only way to keep serial-offending companies in check.

However, if you go around with a stopwatch recording every second of every day at work and sue everytime you get paid for 51.8 minutes instead of 52 minutes (and announce each suit with a press release), you may find that the public views you as a more of a nuisance than a labour rights crusader.
You might not like it but that's they way it is. It's called gotcha. You have to strictly comply and I don't know if you have ever retained counsel, but point 1s add up to a lot. That's a lawyer joke BTW.

We always look out for gotcha claims.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

My 2 cents.

tireman77 -
Your comment is worth well above 2 cents. I remind my friends and business associates of the same thing. Frequently. Usually in another language, just in case they don't get it. More importantly, while Americans in the south are only now experiencing the concept of bilingualism in the marketplace, you are right, Canadians had (and may still have) an excellent opportunity to be bilingual if not multi-lingual.

As I wrote upthread
"On every single flight I take with AC, and especially the vast amount in the past year, I find that not only are all announcements in both official languages, but that I am impressed with the fact that on flights to TLV, announcements were also in Hebrew and Arabic, along with cabin crew who spoke these languages. Same with the flights to HND, with Japanese announcements and Japanese and other Asian language crew. Often I find the announcements include the fact that "on this flight, we also have crew who speak Spanish or German" etc.

I think it is great customer service that AC can do this (and I speak 4+ languages). "
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
You might not like it but that's they way it is. It's called gotcha. You have to strictly comply and I don't know if you have ever retained counsel, but point 1s add up to a lot. That's a lawyer joke BTW.

We always look out for gotcha claims.
Oh I'm well aware Between my job, part of which is litigation management, and my wife, who is a litigator, I spend far too much time with the law for someone who isn't a lawyer.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:23 pm

My 2 cents.
Very well said. My wife and I grew up in English households but we believe there is a clear benefit to being multilingual, so our son is in a Lycée founded for expats and we both take classes each week. I have no problem with AC being required to provide service in French and I certainly appreciate the many FAs who have allowed me to butcher the French language in my attempts to practice.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Back to my original post, when I'm flying on a flight in Western Canada there are hardly any French speaking people. Why should the crew have to learn another language and required to serve in a different language in a part of Canada where no one speaks French?

I can see the relevance in/out of French speaking regions of Canada, but not other areas. People from Eastern Canada sometimes seem to think they are the only part of Canada that matters.

In my opinion, all announcements should be in English only in this part of Canada (unless requested otherwise). There should be 1 FA that speaks enough French to assist a French speaking passenger if needed.

All those French announcements cut into my IFE -- it's just annoying!
I find both the English and French announcements annoying because they cut into my IFE time, too. Doesn't change the fact that AC is legally required to offer services in Canada's two official languages. That's "why."

Brilliant. Very, very well put.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...on-the-wrist-2

OTTAWA
Canada’s official languages commissioner has once again criticized Air Canada.

Graham Fraser said Wednesday that the country’s largest airline has satisfactorily implemented just one of 12 recommendations made in 2011 about the service offered in English and French.

The other 11 have been implemented partially or not at all.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...290795361.html

The airline didn't directly address the commissioner's report, but said its customers are generally very satisfied with its offering of services in English or French.

It pointed to an Ipsos-Reid survey of 2,600 people this year that found 91 per cent of passengers were satisfied or extremely satisfied with its service in the language of the customer's choice. More than half found that the airline had improved its bilingual service in the last year.

Air Canada said it has focused on hiring bilingual employees, but always has trouble finding people with these skills outside of Quebec, Ottawa and Moncton, N.B.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 4, 2015 at 3:49 pm
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
What would you make of this incident: Yesterday on the YYZ-HKG flight multiple AC FAs were addressing Jean Charest, former premier of Quebec in english. Would it have killed them to get someone to address him in french. Same for the other francophones in the cabin? He took it all in stride and was non plussed. These weren't the nicest of AC FAs either. The IFE wasn't working for some time so the safety announcement was done mostly in the old fashioned pantomime. The French language announcements seemed mangled to me. I noticed that there were a fair number of people from YUL transfers on the flight. My impression is that AC dropped the ball on its obligations for this flight and had I been a francophone I would have been insulted. The FAs didn't help matters. I can see why some people get so frustrated they lodge official complaints.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 22, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.