Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to pay $12K to Ottawa couple over lack of French services

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...hub=OttawaHome

TORONTO — Air Canada must pay $12,000 and apologize to an Ottawa couple after admitting it failed to provide them with services in French, a Federal Court judge ruled Wednesday.

However, the judge decided against imposing punitive damages, saying the carrier has tried to comply with its obligations under the Official Languages Act.

The case arose out of two trips Michel and Lynda Thibodeau made in the first half of 2009 between Ottawa and the United States.

They argued they could not get service in French when they checked in, at the boarding gate and aboard the flight, and that an announcement about a change of baggage carousel was made only in English.

The Ottawa couple each sought $25,000 in compensation.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
That being the case, they must also be suing everyone they came into contact with in the US.

Idiots like these two make me sick! Les idiots comme ces deux me rendent malade!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA*G
Originally Posted by Symmetre
That being the case, they must also be suing everyone they came into contact with in the US.

Idiots like these two make me sick! Les idiots comme ces deux me rendent malade!

+1
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:21 pm

Is this for real? Was it a case of services not being offered in French, or of them asking for service in French and being refused?

Either which way, I have little sympathy for this - its supposed to be a private carrier for godssake. Maybe Rovinescu and Dee should spend more time lobbying the government against these stupid rules instead of spending their time lobbying against Emirates/Air Canada CSAs.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yulred
Is this for real? Was it a case of services not being offered in French, or of them asking for service in French and being refused?
They argued they could not get service in French when they checked in, at the boarding gate and aboard the flight, and that an announcement about a change of baggage carousel was made only in English.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, DL, AC Gate Lice, WS, UA
Originally Posted by Symmetre

CALIS!!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Under the Official Languages Act, Air Canada is required to communicate and provide services in both official languages where there is significant demand in the minority language.
Apparently, the law requires Air Canada to provide services in (in this case) French.

"Air Canada admits that it is not always able to provide all services in French as required by the (act), but it submits that breaches are occasional and do not reveal a systemic problem," the judge noted.
And Air Canada admits they frequently don't comply with the law.

So, AC admitted they broke the law and they had to pay a fine. I don't have an opinion on the law itself, but if AC wishes to operate a business in Canada, then they ought to follow the law -- or pay up.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:42 pm

I hope they also received damages when they received a Coke and twinkie instead of their Pepsi and Jos Louis.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99
Apparently, the law requires Air Canada to provide services in (in this case) French.

And Air Canada admits they frequently don't comply with the law.

So, AC admitted they broke the law and they had to pay a fine. I don't have an opinion on the law itself, but if AC wishes to operate a business in Canada, then they ought to follow the law -- or pay up.
Why is there a law that only applies to Air Canada though? This law does not apply to WestJet or any other carrier.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: AC.SE
So the couple didn't suffer any material damage--only subjective emotional damage--but cashed in because AC broke a law.

This is great. I speak English, but maybe I can make a little extra dough by finding AC people who don't speak French and then suing.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, DL, AC Gate Lice, WS, UA
Originally Posted by SensFan
I hope they also received damages when they received a Coke and twinkie instead of their Pepsi and Jos Louis.
Don't you mean a Pepsi and 1/2 Lune Moon?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:23 pm

I don't agree with this nonsense, but it doesn't surprise me in the least.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I'm not sure why I see this so simply, but I view this as a couple exercising their rights under the law.

Simple solution is for AC to comply with the law in the first place, which I'm not sure why they're not doing....
eigenvector and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikew99
Simple solution is for AC to comply with the law in the first place, which I'm not sure why they're not doing....
Could the rare $12K fine be cheaper than providing these services all the time? Not saying that's official airline policy or anything just throwing that out there.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Vive le Quebec Libre!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.