Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

BoB hot meal tray - anybody tried it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K

I asked for hot meal tray in my last dinner flight YUL-YVR. FA told me they never have those on board. Anybody has tried this hot meal tray in Y cabin? How was it (quality and availability)?

Andrew: I suggest AC should learn from Air Asia to have this hot meal tray available on pre-paid, pre-order basis.

Last edited by Spot planes; Apr 29, 2011 at 1:20 am
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
It's a J class main course, I've had it before and found it quite good. Certainly superior to the typical BOB you get in Y. Getting the meals can be tough though, unless your in the first few rows of Y.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Yup, standard J main course. A tastey option in the back but there aren't many on board.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
4 per cart only.. 2 carts.. so that means choice of two each on each cart.. So unless you're sitting at the front when they start serving, opt for the Quizno Pizza or sandwiches instead.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:42 pm

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Originally Posted by Spot planes
I asked for hot meal tray in my last dinner flight YUL-YVR. FA told me they never have those on board. Anybody has tried this hot meal tray? How was it (quality and availability)?

Andrew: I suggest AC should learn from Air Asia to have this hot meal tray available on pre-paid, pre-order basis.
I asked for the pasta meal in Y a couple of months back YYZ-YVR (Row 23 too!) and whilst it wasn't the prettiest meal I've seen, it was delicious! Definitely would have it again. ^
Old Apr 29, 2011, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
4 per cart only.. 2 carts.. so that means choice of two each on each cart.. So unless you're sitting at the front when they start serving, opt for the Quizno Pizza or sandwiches instead.
Another suggestion to Andrew: stock more hot meal trays on board.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:58 am

Like others have said, BOB meal is J main course + a snack of your choice. They will advise you whatever is left over.

I would suggest expressing to the FA your interest when they sell the earbuds or before drink service, so they can keep you in mind.

I like the idea of buying your BOB hot tray as a prepaid!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA 1K, AC 35K, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I did on a dinner time YYZ-MCO flight. I thought it was a great option and was grateful for the choice of buying this. The food was good, but then again I was starving!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
AC doesn't make money on the BoB hot meal sold in economy. Basically it's a way for them to minimize shrink for meals that were not chosen by the J passengers.

Now if you wanted to pay $25-$30 for a hot meal, it might start getting into the range of profitability.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
I've had 100% success ordering these, though according to a FA on a recent E190 flight, it is normal to be able to get them on the airbus narrowbodies, but not the E190s. Guess they don't load the extras or something. She may or may not have known for sure, but I usually sit in row 12 and have been successful so far, buying this perhaps a dozen times.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:38 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by DaveTO
AC doesn't make money on the BoB hot meal sold in economy. Basically it's a way for them to minimize shrink for meals that were not chosen by the J passengers.

Now if you wanted to pay $25-$30 for a hot meal, it might start getting into the range of profitability.
Extra meals are boarded on top of what's provisioned for J class for sale in Y.

We're trying to find ways to board more meals as it has been a very popular option since it was launched.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Was just on ANA IAD-NRT and noticed they not only offer the J meal service for Y passengers to pre-order, but they can also purchase J drinks (sake and shochu) per glass.

I was the only passenger in F so I didn't need to do this But I did enjoy the most delicious meals of my life! Definitely beats a private jet for seat and catering.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
This is funny, because when airlines served food all people did was complain! And now these same people are willing to pay extra for airline food?

I still remember ye olde days (2004!) when a hot breakfast was served from YYZ-YVR.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by Tangoer
This is funny, because when airlines served food all people did was complain! And now these same people are willing to pay extra for airline food?

I still remember ye olde days (2004!) when a hot breakfast was served from YYZ-YVR.
But in the old days, they didn't serve the J meal in Y.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Tangoer
Yikes, I can remember a hot breakfast YYZ-YOW!

And I have ordered the hot J meal in Y, and although I have always got it, it has been painful waiting for the crew to figure it out - maybe with more experience and requests, they now know how.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.