Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Which airline would U take Ethiopian or Kenya Air?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2008, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All of them...

I will be in Cameroon and I need to go to South Africa. I want to fly into Jo-burg and I am not sure which airline to take. The only options that come up are Kenya Air and Ethiopian Airlines.

I have read reviews and KQ has a bunch of poor reveiws and the Ethiopian Air doesn't seem too great either?

Please help.

I would fly business if If I go on Ethiopian and I'm a SkyTeam Elite Plus if I go on Kenya Air.

Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2008, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stick to Kenya...

I've flown KQ a couple of times, and I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again. It wasn't a mind-blowing experience, but got me there safely, comfortably (business class in the 767) and without hassle. Plus I got a bunch of miles for my trouble...
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: All of them...
Can anyone tell me anything about Ethiopian Airlines?

Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:08 am

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by erikd37

Thanks.
I flew a couple of flights on Ethiopian a few years ago. I was comfortable and I would definitely fly them again. The service was very pleasant and the FA's were all beautiful. The food was completely unrecognizable.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
This thread would probably be more fitting on the Other Middle East and Africa Frequent Flyer Programs board, and you'll probably get more answers there; hopefully a heads-up moderator can move it there. I've seen both raves and rants about both airlines. Having flown both, I'll say this:

Business Class
Generally speaking (well, always speaking, in my experience) ET business is cheaper, significantly, than KQ business, inter- and intra-Africa, so if your choice is ET biz vs. KQ biz, go with ET based on price. Since you're not flying long-haul, then getting a flat sleeper on KQ is out of the question for the routes you'd be flying. Both airlines have 1980's generation business seats (~40 inches of pitch, 2x2 layout on narrow-body aircraft, minimal-though-adequate recline considering the flight duration, etc.).

Steerage
If your choice is between ET steerage and KQ steerage, it's a tossup, as the service on both is more akin to US carriers, where they do the drink/meal service and then disappear. Food on KQ is more recognizable than ET. It cannot, however, be characterized as "delicious" by any means.

Let us know what you choose and how it went.

Will
Old Nov 28, 2008, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
The ground handling/customer service experience might be more relevant than the inflight experience IMO. If there is a long delay in Addis or Nairobi, which airline is likely to be able to get you to Johannesburg quicker or to accomodate you in a more acceptable hotel? I've heard horror stories about the hotels ET has sent people to during ground delays and about the ability/willingness of ground staff to help when problems arise.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 1:14 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
The ground handling/customer service experience might be more relevant than the inflight experience IMO. If there is a long delay in Addis or Nairobi, which airline is likely to be able to get you to Johannesburg quicker or to accomodate you in a more acceptable hotel? I've heard horror stories about the hotels ET has sent people to during ground delays and about the ability/willingness of ground staff to help when problems arise.
This is a VERY good point! Not having experienced irr. ops. at either NBO or ADD, I can't speak to it personally, but if I had to be stranded at one of them I'd pick NBO any day. Plus the only 2 acceptable business-grade hotels in Addis (IMO) are the Sheraton and the Hilton; both are extremely expensive, and I can't imagine ET putting up pax there whatever the class of service.

Will
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I have travelled in KQ so i am tempted to chose it. plus there are many more options to credit the miles as opposed to just LH for ET.
Old May 21, 2009, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What is the lounge situation like for ET? Ive flown KQ in Business and appreciated their small, but more amenity-rich lounge than the waiting rooms they throw the SkyTeam Elite Plus pax in at NBO.

Does ET have a nicer lounge at ADD? What lounge does KQ use for SkyTeam Elite Plus pax at ADD out of curiosity?
Old May 22, 2009, 7:54 am
Suspended

I just thought I'd mention this. More of interest than importance, but I think it's a cool story about Kenyan airways.

I flew Kenya Airways into Nairobi once. During landing they descended to only about 50 feet up, just about to touch down, but then had to abort last second, full throttle, heavy banking etc. The pilot said the GPS was out of sync with where the ground was, so the plane thought it was on the deck when still 50 feet up. Strange. Is this possible or was that the pilot making an excuse for something else?
Old May 22, 2009, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by GekkoHQ
I just thought I'd mention this. More of interest than importance, but I think it's a cool story about Kenyan airways.

I flew Kenya Airways into Nairobi once. During landing they descended to only about 50 feet up, just about to touch down, but then had to abort last second, full throttle, heavy banking etc. The pilot said the GPS was out of sync with where the ground was, so the plane thought it was on the deck when still 50 feet up. Strange. Is this possible or was that the pilot making an excuse for something else?
I sometimes blame my cars Navi when I take the wrong turn or am late.
Old May 22, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Have you considered South African Airways which seems to have flights three times a week - SA0089? This flight would not have the change.
Old May 25, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, *A Plat
Originally Posted by GekkoHQ

Is something similar what happened with Turkish approaching AMS a few months ago?
Old May 29, 2009, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I fly KQ a lot and find them a very nice airline and my favorite in Africa. I even like them better than South African, but its close. I love their 777 business class seats which are completely flat. I'll be on one tomorrow night in fact.

Ethiopian I have heard horror stories about. If I did fly them, I would not touch the food or drink unless it was Coke out of a can or something like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.