Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: QR Plat, Flying Blue Plat
I had a little poke around the forums to see if this has been asked before, but couldn't find anything - apologies if it has!

Here's my situation:

Arrive NBO on KQ (likely ex DAR or EBB - unsure yet, but not really relevant)
Depart NBO on EK
No checked bags.
Separate tickets (I'll make sure to leave lots of time)

I'd like to print my own EK boarding pass before leaving for NBO, and then once in NBO go straight through the other security past Java and into whichever lounge EK uses, and then board EK from there. IE I'd like to avoid having to clear immigration and re check in at EK counters downstairs.

I'm concerned that EK may not accept a paper boarding pass in NBO.

In my experience, the ME airlines departing DAR, NBO etc. like to check that you have a visa for wherever you are going before they print you a BP on their stock - in effect the BP is proof that you have been checked by their staff, so someone with a self printed BP could have skipped that check. I don't need a visa for my destination, but usually, they need to make that call.

As EK has no lounge of their own in NBO, I'm not sure that they could print me a new BP at gate if it was needed. My worry is that, with a paper BP I will only find out at boarding (after check in desks are closed) whether or not EK allows them.

Does anyone have recent experience of departing NBO on EK with a self printed BP?

Thanks very much!
Old May 14, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by danielm
Thanks for the reply. I'll be coming on an EY flight. Looks like there's an ET flight scheduled for 5 minutes later - who knows who will arrive first. Otherwise, the one flight ahead of it, at 12:40, on Kenyan from BJM, which would be at a different facility?

The EY flight seems to be pretty on time, typically. Assuming it arrives on time and I don't check a bag, what do you rate my odds? Would a cab between the terminals speed things up? If I have reasonable odds, I like to do it, since the next flight out isn't until the following morning.
Should be no issue then. You should clear immigration in less then 30 minutes. See when the next bus is, and if not soon, a cab should work.
Old May 14, 2017, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by 255FlyerTZ
I had a little poke around the forums to see if this has been asked before, but couldn't find anything - apologies if it has!

Here's my situation:

Arrive NBO on KQ (likely ex DAR or EBB - unsure yet, but not really relevant)
Depart NBO on EK
No checked bags.
Separate tickets (I'll make sure to leave lots of time)

I'd like to print my own EK boarding pass before leaving for NBO, and then once in NBO go straight through the other security past Java and into whichever lounge EK uses, and then board EK from there. IE I'd like to avoid having to clear immigration and re check in at EK counters downstairs.

I'm concerned that EK may not accept a paper boarding pass in NBO.

In my experience, the ME airlines departing DAR, NBO etc. like to check that you have a visa for wherever you are going before they print you a BP on their stock - in effect the BP is proof that you have been checked by their staff, so someone with a self printed BP could have skipped that check. I don't need a visa for my destination, but usually, they need to make that call.

As EK has no lounge of their own in NBO, I'm not sure that they could print me a new BP at gate if it was needed. My worry is that, with a paper BP I will only find out at boarding (after check in desks are closed) whether or not EK allows them.

Does anyone have recent experience of departing NBO on EK with a self printed BP?

Thanks very much!
EK are now using the Turkish Lounge - bigger then the Aspire lounge. Should be no worries entering the lounge with the paper boarding pass. EK have a transfer desk near Gate 10/11, where you can go and get the proper boarding pass, but at the gate they will also be able to issue the boarding pass.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: QF LTG
I know its a long way off but in December I have two connections through NBO.

Sun Dec 24 arrive in NBO at 2:45PM on QR1335, departing at 6:25PM on KQ436 to JRO.
Sat Jan 6th arrive from JRO at 7:20PM on PW725 departing at 1:20AM on QR1342.

The Qatar flights are in Business Class and the shorter KQ and PW flights are in economy.

I have family traveling on the same KQ and PW flights but connecting from/to EK in First.

Can I do both connections without entering Kenya? Any good lounges I can use or decent restaurants airside?
Old May 22, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
I'm departing NBO on QR. I'll have my mom and sister with me, so I'm hoping to use the Turkish lounge via my Sapphire Reserve, rather than Aspire where it appears I'd only get one guest as an Emerald. is it possible to get between the two terminals airside? Best I can tell, QR departs from 1B?
Old May 29, 2017, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
I know its a long way off but in December I have two connections through NBO.

Sun Dec 24 arrive in NBO at 2:45PM on QR1335, departing at 6:25PM on KQ436 to JRO.
Sat Jan 6th arrive from JRO at 7:20PM on PW725 departing at 1:20AM on QR1342.

The Qatar flights are in Business Class and the shorter KQ and PW flights are in economy.

I have family traveling on the same KQ and PW flights but connecting from/to EK in First.

Can I do both connections without entering Kenya? Any good lounges I can use or decent restaurants airside?
Connections can be done. Always say you are transferring, and ask the KQ staff to assist you to get your luggage and tag for the next flight.

For KQ, you will not have lounge access, as you are in economy (unless you have SkyTeam status). You can however pay to use the KQ lounge (https://www.kenya-airways.com/prepar...kq-lounges/en/)

QR uses the Aspire lounge, while EK use the Turkish (*A) lounge. Both are Priority Pass lounges as well.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by thecurtisw
I'm departing NBO on QR. I'll have my mom and sister with me, so I'm hoping to use the Turkish lounge via my Sapphire Reserve, rather than Aspire where it appears I'd only get one guest as an Emerald. is it possible to get between the two terminals airside? Best I can tell, QR departs from 1B?
Easy to get between the Terminals airside - in fact you will not even notice that you have moved from one to the other.

QR use the Aspire Lounge, so if you wish to use the TK lounge, you will need a Priority Pass, or pay for entry.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Easy to get between the Terminals airside - in fact you will not even notice that you have moved from one to the other.

QR use the Aspire Lounge, so if you wish to use the TK lounge, you will need a Priority Pass, or pay for entry.
Great to know. Thanks! I have Priority Pass, so all set there.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: QR Plat, Flying Blue Plat
EK are now using the Turkish Lounge - bigger then the Aspire lounge. Should be no worries entering the lounge with the paper boarding pass. EK have a transfer desk near Gate 10/11, where you can go and get the proper boarding pass, but at the gate they will also be able to issue the boarding pass.
Thanks roadwarriorafrica! Heading through in a few days on a different trip, so I'll check it out. I see we have similar loyalties - maybe we'll bump into each other in NBO sometime.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:48 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
A new hotel has opened within the grounds of JKIA - The Lazizi Premiere.

http://www.thelazizihotels.com/

Looks nice, and also offers day rooms.
I'm currently lying by the pool here.

We landed Wilson at noon and booked a room here for $140 (which was cheaper than the day room rate) so we could lounge by the pool eating lunch, drinking wine and surfing flyertalk until our shuttle to our 730pm flight to Zanzibar. We got this rate on Agoda. We'll do the same on our return from Zanzibar in a week as we wait for our late Swiss flight to DAR then ZRH.

It's a fantastic way to pass a long layover at NBO. ^
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:59 am

With regard to NBO arrivals and Lazizi hotel, I emailed the hotel at reservations at thelazizihotels dot com yesterday before our flight today back to NBO from ZNZ with our arrival flight details. Got an email this morning noting that they had our details and we would be met at arrivals by a Lazizi driver with a Lazizi sign. Our flight was a little early and we were fast through immigration thanks to our online transit visas so we beat the driver to arrivals. The email had included his phone number so we rung him up and he arrived in 10 minutes.

We're back by the pool with wine and lunch ordered. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! ^
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:27 am

The Turkish lounge here at NBO is excellent by US standards. Well appointed. Some hot and cold buffet items, beer wine and spirits. A quiet room.

Pretty full at the moment, though. I guess the secret is out!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
The Turkish lounge here at NBO is excellent by US standards. Well appointed. Some hot and cold buffet items, beer wine and spirits. A quiet room.

Pretty full at the moment, though. I guess the secret is out!
I've used it twice in the last couple of months and thought it was a total dump. Always rammed full, cramped seating, pretty average food and drink. For a new facility it was pretty disappointing, but then again lounges at JKIA always are.

Not sure there is any "secret" - just that it is used by TK, SAA, EK, Priority Pass etc etc.

I much preferred it when EK used the Aspire lounge.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
I am heading over to Addis Ababa via NBO. Trip details:

Sept. 23: Arriving NBO 21:45 on KLM, Business Class
Sept. 24: Leaving NBO 07:10 to ADD on KQ, coach

I am Delta Diamond.

I am not sure if it is worth going to a hotel for just a few hours of sleep. Are KQ lounges open overnight? I see on their website that they remain open during the summer season. Is September still summer?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by fromYXU
I am heading over to Addis Ababa via NBO. Trip details:

Sept. 23: Arriving NBO 21:45 on KLM, Business Class
Sept. 24: Leaving NBO 07:10 to ADD on KQ, coach

I am Delta Diamond.

I am not sure if it is worth going to a hotel for just a few hours of sleep. Are KQ lounges open overnight? I see on their website that they remain open during the summer season. Is September still summer?

Thanks for your suggestions!
September is Spring, so the lounges are not open overnight. Maybe check into the airport hotel - Lazizi Premiere?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.