Reload this Page >

A Week in South Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Week in South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:56 pm

I'm visiting Cape Town in September and was leaning on the side of not renting a car, but I'm seeing a lot of recommendations lately to do it. Can it really be better than taking transports when it cost about $23/day for the car, gas is averaging close to $4/gallon according to google, and I assume some places may charge to park? On the other hand for example, a transport from Shark Cage diving averages about $30 from what I've seen - so after you factor gas for a rental, the transport is cheaper plus you know you're definitely going the right way...and driving on the correct side of the road. Or is this only being recommended because no tours/busses head down the peninsula to boulder beach and cape point?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
There are tour buses that do tours of Cape Point including a visit to Boulder's Beach. There are similarly local buses, tours and hop-on hop-off buses that go to the Winelands, beaches and further afield. And for specific activities such as whale watching there will be transport put on by those companies. So there definitely isn't a shortage of transport options if you choose not to rent a car.

If you are staying in the city for just a few nights and just want to tick off the highlights, then taking local transport or tours will probably be cheaper and/or more sociable.

It's the usual argument really - hiring a car gives you the freedom to travel at your own pace, stop at places that look interesting not just where the tour bus stops, and to some extent avoid the worst of the crowds at the most popular places. But I admit, it is easier if there are 2 people so that one can navigate or if you get data on your phone so you can sat-nav. I have always travelled a bit further afield then the city bowl itself. In your example, I would choose a leisurely day travelling through the winelands and the R44 via Betty's Bay to Hermanus or Gansbaai, stay overnight and then do your activity the next day, driving back that evening to Cape Town. YMMV.

Edited to add: Yes most city bowl hotels will charge to park. Most visitor attractions don't charge for parking, but Cape Point does have a vehicle entry charge becasue it is a National Park, which would be included in the cost of a tour.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Dianne_AfricaDirectUSA
The yellow fever restriction has been lifted by South Africa so you will not need to present proof of a yellow fever vaccine if traveling from Zambia to South Africa any longer.
True for Zambia, and Tanzania, Eritrea, Somalia, Sao Tome and Principe as well. But if you've been to many other countries that didn't get the benefit of the WHO recommendation you will have to spend some time at the airport getting a shot if you don't have your card. If you like to travel, it's best to have that card. A lot of my colleague who travel regularly between NBO and JNB often get asked for their card. I've done that route a lot too, but they've never asked me. The point is you never know so best to be prepared.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by konagirl2
There are tour buses that do tours of Cape Point including a visit to Boulder's Beach. There are similarly local buses, tours and hop-on hop-off buses that go to the Winelands, beaches and further afield. And for specific activities such as whale watching there will be transport put on by those companies. So there definitely isn't a shortage of transport options if you choose not to rent a car.

If you are staying in the city for just a few nights and just want to tick off the highlights, then taking local transport or tours will probably be cheaper and/or more sociable.

It's the usual argument really - hiring a car gives you the freedom to travel at your own pace, stop at places that look interesting not just where the tour bus stops, and to some extent avoid the worst of the crowds at the most popular places. But I admit, it is easier if there are 2 people so that one can navigate or if you get data on your phone so you can sat-nav. I have always travelled a bit further afield then the city bowl itself. In your example, I would choose a leisurely day travelling through the winelands and the R44 via Betty's Bay to Hermanus or Gansbaai, stay overnight and then do your activity the next day, driving back that evening to Cape Town. YMMV.

Edited to add: Yes most city bowl hotels will charge to park. Most visitor attractions don't charge for parking, but Cape Point does have a vehicle entry charge becasue it is a National Park, which would be included in the cost of a tour.
Good information here. Thanks for the input.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
If you have 9 nights in South Africa, is it possible to...

Would it be reasonable to tick these items off the list in 9 or 10 days, without breaking the bank?

#1: Arrive Cape Town, spend a couple days there, see Table Mountain, Cape of Good Horn Hope (important for wife to see Penguins)

#2: Premiere Classe train to Johannesburg

#3: See Victoria Falls (bad timing, since time frame would be late October to early December)

#4: Do a river cruise, maybe 2 nights Zambezi Queen (not cheap, $900 each, but looks like something wife would enjoy)

#5: One day Chobe safari

Can this work? I like the idea of some decompression time on the train, but I don't see many references to others doing things this way; nearly everyone flies from CPT to JNB.

Also, can this be put together quickly? I usually don't have available dates figured out until last minute, based on flight availability.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Oct 1, 2015 at 10:49 pm Reason: Corrected Cape of Good Horn to Hope
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Mike: skip the train to JNB and fly directly to Victoria Falls. With limited time I'd even skip the falls and go right to the houseboats. If you want to do a Chobe River houseboat look at Chobe Princess houseboats, used to be called Pride of Zambezi.

http://www.prideofzambezi.com/

They cost less than Zambezi Queen and have less people on them, only 10. This was the highlight days of our 14 day southern Africa trip last April. The best part of the houseboat experience is going off on river safari o nthe small boats and those are the same for the Chobe Princesses. No need tpo spend so much more for the bigger boat unless you have to have a 5 star luxury experience.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:26 am

Mike,

9 or 10 days does give you plenty of time but the travel distances are large so would take up some of that time and adds cost. Especially internal flights and land transfers can add up, so see what is included. (e.g. you can fly CPT-JNB-Kasane to do Chobe and the houseboat/river cruise but that would miss out Vic Falls.)

If you are only using the train journey CPT-JNB as 'down time' then I would instead consider spending a day and night in the winelands around CPT relaxing with good food and wine with mountain vistas before flying early morning to JNB the next day - the timings would be similar and SA is great value for money for food and drink. I could easily spend all 9-10 days around the Western Cape region (note it's the Cape of Good Hope or Peninsula).

One issue may be organising the dates / availability if you are booking so late for the river boat and for the train because they only leave on certain days (although Oct-Dec is lower season - CPT will be lovely but Chobe / Vic Falls will be hot). IMO, you get the most from safaris if you can overnight within the parks. It is a general rule that predators are best spotted in the first few hour(s) of daylight.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other day rail traffic between CPT and JNB came to a shuddering halt due to cable theft, with one of the luxury passengers trains stuck in the baking Karoo for many hours. Food and water ran out.

With cable theft (and just about any other crime you can think of) rampant in SA, this may well happen again.

Johan
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Mike,

I used DayTrippers for a daylong Cape Point tour which stops at Simon's Town for the penguins and other highlights, and enjoyed it. Hiking and biking options are available on their tours. Cape Point is certainly easily driveable if you rent a car. The Cape Town hop on hop off bus is great to get around the major sights in Cape Town, Table Mountain, a few wineries, and Hout Bay if you don't want to rent a car. Don't miss Robben Island, where Mandela was held, but look into getting tickets online a week or two ahead of time. This trip takes a half day. I also did an interesting Township visit with a local educator, can give you her info if you're interested.

P.S. "Cape of Good Hope".
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Doesn't seem like anybody here is much of a fan of trains! My thinking was that it saves on a hotel night and is only taking one "day", not two, since it's about 4pm to 4pm if I recall correctly. Flying doesn't really seem that much faster, given time getting to, through, and from airports (probably a total of 4 or 5 hours).

Logistically, it would be a lot easier to do everything from just the Johannesburg side of the country, primarily the river boat timing... but that's mostly because the train runs just one day a week, as noted by some here. Lots more flexibility if you fly. It's just that... well... it's nearly 12,000 miles to get there, another 12,000 miles to get back... do I really want even more plane trips? Especially trips I don't get elite-earning miles from?

Regarding Chobe being hot, not much I can do about that, as this is the only time of the year I can make a trip like this. Guess mid-November would be better than late October.

Trying very hard not to break the bank with this trip. One way to save would be to do the Chobe day trip out of Victoria Falls, and stay at a place like this- (Green Tree Lodge in Livingston). We could also do a day trip to Victoria Falls, and the Zambezi Queen river trip.

But Victoria Falls/Chobe/River Cruise at the beginning or end of the trip? This assumes still spending a couple days at Cape Town.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:30 am

I guess to most people the train is more faff than flying, particularly since you need an onward connection from central Johannesburg to Vic Falls / Kasane. Some people seem to like the chance to see the differing scenery and landscapes with such a short time, whereas others would say better to concentrate your time in the mountains etc.

My comment about the heat in Chobe was just to make sure you take a range of clothing. I can't comment on individual properties but there are lodges in the Kasane region with similar prices to Livingstone, so you can keep costs reasonable and stay on the Botswana side for your day trip into Chobe.

Which way round you do your itinerary doesn't matter, so base it on award flight availability.

BTW you can earn AAdvantage elite-qualifying miles for Comair flights as long as they are BA-codeshare (i.e. book them through BA.com). But I admit they aren't always the cheapest and connect through JNB.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL, AA
My wife and I are leaving soon from the US for a trip and will be stopping in London, Greece, and Cairo (just a couple hours in Cairo on a layover) before arriving in South Africa. We're flying into JNB and then heading on to Cape Town. Will we need to worry about having a Yellow Fever Card?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:16 am
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by mh1361
My wife and I are leaving soon from the US for a trip and will be stopping in London, Greece, and Cairo (just a couple hours in Cairo on a layover) before arriving in South Africa. We're flying into JNB and then heading on to Cape Town. Will we need to worry about having a Yellow Fever Card?
http://www.flysaa.com/lv/en/planmytr...llowFever.html
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:46 pm

Trip details filling in... mostly done

-Arrive JNB, fly directly to Victoria Falls.

-4 nights at Victoria Falls (A'Zembezi River Lodge), at least one day of which will be recovery time. This is one day more than I'd like, but will give us the option of some day trips. Looking for any tips on reasonably-priced food in town.

-2 nights on the Zambezi Queen. This is the breaks-the-bank part of the trip.

-Fly back to JNB, one night there at "airport" hotel (City Lodge)

-Next morning take the hop-on hop-off and see the Apartheid Museum, then head back and take the afternoon train to Cape Town.

-One night on Train.

-Three nights Cape Town (V & A hotel on the waterfront)

Here's where we need to fill in the blanks.

Fly home
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
-Three nights Cape Town (V & A hotel on the waterfront)

Here's where we need to fill in the blanks.

Fly home
http://www.robben-island.org.za/

http://www.daytrippers.co.za/Day%20t...ape_point.html

https://www.citysightseeing.co.za/cape-town

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.