Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Kenya: new Visa Rules Requiring e-Visa Prior to Arrival 1 Sep 2015
Visa on arrival is no longer an option

Effective 01 September 2015, you may be denied boarding on your flight to Kenya or denied entry to Kenya if you do not have your printed copy of your e-visa with you. Visa on arrival is not available any longer. according to the Kenyan government.

How do I Apply
You need to:
  • Click register on www.ecitizen.go.ke.
  • Select Register as a Visitor.
  • Once Logged in, Select Deparment of Immigration services.
  • Select submit Appplication.
  • Select Kenyan Visa.
  • Select the type of Visa and read the Instructions Carefully.
  • Fill in the application form.
  • Pay Using visa card, Mastercard and other debit cards.
  • Await approval via email, then download and print the eVisa from your eCitizen account.
  • Present your printed eVisa to the immigration officer at the port of entry.
For e-visa you can go to http://evisa.go.ke/evisa.html, establish an account.

See full USA citizen requirements and "normal" visa app post #8.

Conditional, The traveler will need to hold travel documents as detailed below.

Kenya - Destination Passport

Important:

Visitors holding damaged passports and/or passport replacing documents will be refused entry.

Kenya - Destination Visa

Visas can be applied for by U.S. citizens at https://www.kenyaembassy.com/dcservi...isaonline.aspx . Effective from 1 September 2015, the visa on arrival facility will be fully replaced by e-visas.

Additional information:

Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least USD 500.-) and documents for their next destination.

Final authority for entry lies with border and immigration officers.

A valid "East African Tourist Visa" issued by Rwanda or Uganda is accepted provided having first entered the country that issued the visa. The visa is valid for 90 days and multiple entries/re-entries.

Asante sana to roadwarriorafrica for bringing the to everyone's attention. retitled the thread for the announced date (to and from IATA) this requirement is in effect now 1 Sep 2015).
Print Wikipost

New Visa Rules on Arrival for Kenya (effective 01 Sep 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Have just had a look at the Kenyan High Commission website, they have a statement stating they have reviewed the evisa system and are now doing evisa and manual visa concurrently.

As I am flying into NBO then next day out to ADD, a week later back into NBO then travel through Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda before flying out of NBO I wanted to check into the evisa, from the details I read it as I need a transit visa then the East Africa Visa. As the East Africa is manual only may as well get the transit at the same time.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Be careful as to what airline you fly. I'm currently at the check-in counter of QR applying online because they "haven't been informed" that visa's on arrival are acceptable.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:01 pm

Are you sure they are acceptable?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
The whole point of this thread is because the "visa on arrival" ceased to be acceptable in September!

Good luck.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: Delta- silver, UA silver (match)
Originally Posted by Curious_George
Be careful as to what airline you fly. I'm currently at the check-in counter of QR applying online because they "haven't been informed" that visa's on arrival are acceptable.
Were you able to get your visa? I applied online, but still haven't gotten one and I fly on Sunday.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
Originally Posted by antichef
The whole point of this thread is because the "visa on arrival" ceased to be acceptable in September!

Good luck.
Yes, but Kenya announced in September that they would temporarily issue e-visas on arrival, and later added that they would also offer "manual" visas on arrival. I don't know what is the practical difference between the two.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Success!

Haven't been to Kenya for 5 years, and am flying out tomorrow night. So a couple hours ago, I googled to see what the current visa-on-arrival fee was.

Luckily, one of the first results was Wolfgang's blog entry. Up to a week for approval? Oh dear. Mad rush to the eVisa site. Two business days, that one says. That's better, but takeoff is in 44 hours... but there are lounges along the way, right? So I should be okay...

After payment, I got a very plain page saying payment was accepted - much less of a page than I was hoping for. So I went back to the main page and decided to poke around a bit to make sure it had all gone through correctly.

I clicked "My Applications" and noticed that the application I had just submitted had a status of "Issued" so I clicked on the little "view" action and sure enough, the "Date of Approval" was a whole two seconds later than the "Date of Submission" - guess somebody was feeling pretty productive today.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Does anybody know how this effects the East Africa Tourist Visa? I heard it will be live on the Kenya e-visa site soon but am not yet seeing it. Will be traveling to Kenya and Rwanda in March and need to pass thru both Kenya and Rwanda twice- would much rather not deal with getting a visa / paying for one twice in Kenya and twice for Rwanda.

Thanks
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K - Hilton Gold - Marriott Gold
Was I too prepared?

I applied for an evisa a few months ago before I bought my tickets, having been burned in the past with visa issues. I was almost immediately granted the evisa and booked my flights (PrivatAir S.A. booked via LH). Now I see on my visa that it is valid for 3 months from issue, yet also has my correct date of arrival (more than 3 months from issue date). Do I need to reapply closer into my travel time (losing the $51) or will my visa be issued when I arrive and give them the evisa?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Thanks to a KQ schedule change, my fiance and I now have a second overnight in NBO on our way to Tanzania. if one were interested in getting the full page sticker visa instead of the evisa, would a multiple entry visa need to be applied for? Or could I apply for two separate transit visas seeing as each overnight is <24 hours?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:14 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
any recent experience of VOA?

looking at the Kenyan HC website, it seems that they are still issuing VOA alongside e-visa..

Does anyone have recent experience both with getting the VOA and of being allowed to board KQ flights to NBO without an e-visa already issued?

Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2016, 4:36 pm

I was in NBO on Monday this week. I got the evisa before travel, which this time took only 1 second to be issued from hitting submit!

The visa on arrival is still available. Forms were being issued on board my BA flight for those that needed them.

The queues for entry at immigration were as bad as I have seen over the years. Even with the evisa queue it was over 40 mins, goodness knows how long the VOA queues were taking.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:18 am

I was in NBO on Monday this week. I got the evisa before travel, which this time took only 1 second to be issued from hitting submit!

The visa on arrival is still available. Forms were being issued on board my BA flight for those that needed them.

The queues for entry at immigration were as bad as I have seen over the years. Even with the evisa queue it was over 40 mins, goodness knows how long the VOA queues were taking.
Thanks for the reply/info - sounds like I should be able to get the evisa even if my travel only gets confirmed 24/48hrs ahead of time (which is likely).
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:28 am

My last evisa (December) took a few days, I presume it is auto renewed once they have seen and approved one!

Get your evisa done early, they are valid for three months if you are worried.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:47 pm

My last evisa (December) took a few days, I presume it is auto renewed once they have seen and approved one!

Get your evisa done early, they are valid for three months if you are worried.
Applied this morning, was issued in seconds (at 07:30 Kenya time, so doubting that there was any human involvement!). Thanks for the advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.