Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Kenya: new Visa Rules Requiring e-Visa Prior to Arrival 1 Sep 2015
Visa on arrival is no longer an option

Effective 01 September 2015, you may be denied boarding on your flight to Kenya or denied entry to Kenya if you do not have your printed copy of your e-visa with you. Visa on arrival is not available any longer. according to the Kenyan government.

How do I Apply
You need to:
  • Click register on www.ecitizen.go.ke.
  • Select Register as a Visitor.
  • Once Logged in, Select Deparment of Immigration services.
  • Select submit Appplication.
  • Select Kenyan Visa.
  • Select the type of Visa and read the Instructions Carefully.
  • Fill in the application form.
  • Pay Using visa card, Mastercard and other debit cards.
  • Await approval via email, then download and print the eVisa from your eCitizen account.
  • Present your printed eVisa to the immigration officer at the port of entry.
For e-visa you can go to http://evisa.go.ke/evisa.html, establish an account.

See full USA citizen requirements and "normal" visa app post #8.

Conditional, The traveler will need to hold travel documents as detailed below.

Kenya - Destination Passport

Important:

Visitors holding damaged passports and/or passport replacing documents will be refused entry.

Kenya - Destination Visa

Visas can be applied for by U.S. citizens at https://www.kenyaembassy.com/dcservi...isaonline.aspx . Effective from 1 September 2015, the visa on arrival facility will be fully replaced by e-visas.

Additional information:

Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least USD 500.-) and documents for their next destination.

Final authority for entry lies with border and immigration officers.

A valid "East African Tourist Visa" issued by Rwanda or Uganda is accepted provided having first entered the country that issued the visa. The visa is valid for 90 days and multiple entries/re-entries.

Asante sana to roadwarriorafrica for bringing the to everyone's attention. retitled the thread for the announced date (to and from IATA) this requirement is in effect now 1 Sep 2015).
Print Wikipost

New Visa Rules on Arrival for Kenya (effective 01 Sep 2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by AmynM
With the online application there isn't an option for a one year visa. The only options I see are for a Single Entry Visa or a Transit Visa.
I've never heard of any news about offering the one year visa online. Like I said above, I have always gone to Nyayo House in Nairobi to get these. Maybe you can get them at overseas Kenyan embassies too, but I've never tried that.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
It has been possible to get a one year multiple entry visa at the HC in UK. A work friend did that. They needed to show why they needed it for one year, have invitation letters, etc.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Platinum
Thumbs up Online visa application success stories

Originally Posted by stimpy
I've never heard of any news about offering the one year visa online. Like I said above, I have always gone to Nyayo House in Nairobi to get these. Maybe you can get them at overseas Kenyan embassies too, but I've never tried that.
If memory serves me correctly, I thought the option at the airport was to get a Single Entry good for that trip ($50) or a Multiple Entry good for a year of unlimited entries ($100). I could be wrong but none-the-less, it isn't available online.

I had four relatives apply for visas yesterday and receive them within a day. I don't have the exact timestamps but they were quick. Was very pleased to learn that the system works so efficiently. Bravo!

Am off to get a photograph of myself and then I'll apply for my trip, too!

As we say in Swahilli, muzuri sana!

I'm really pleased the system works so well. Would be more pleased if I could actually save my application in progress and resume entry later but I'm guessing that will come in due time.

Well done Government of Kenya!
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AmynM
If memory serves me correctly, I thought the option at the airport was to get a Single Entry good for that trip ($50) or a Multiple Entry good for a year of unlimited entries ($100). I could be wrong but none-the-less, it isn't available online.
No, a one year visa was never available at the airport. In TZ at DAR yes, but not NBO.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I'm flying to KGL via NBO on 9/3 and 9/9. I've always gotten a visa on arrival at NBO, but this morning I got the email from BA stating the news about the visas. I applied for the transit visa online and am waiting for the results. Two questions:

1. Should I start making plans to transit a different city? Or will I probably be ok?
2. Should I apply for a second transit visa, or will the online one work for both transits? I'm guessing I need two, but I thought I'd ask.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:54 pm

Why do you need a transit visa at all?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:05 am
Original Poster

As you will be overnighting in Nairobi, best to apply for an online single entry visa. Your return transit will mean no need for another visa, as you have not left the East African Community, so your original visa will be valid.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Your return transit will mean no need for another visa, as you have not left the East African Community, so your original visa will be valid.
Not true for the regular single transit visa. You need a new one each time you transit through Kenya, regardless of whence you came.

The East African Common visa though would remain valid throughout a stay in the member states, but that is not available for online application if you are entering via Kenya or Uganda - only via Rwanda.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Not true for the regular single transit visa. You need a new one each time you transit through Kenya, regardless of whence you came.

The East African Common visa though would remain valid throughout a stay in the member states, but that is not available for online application if you are entering via Kenya or Uganda - only via Rwanda.
When you apply for a Kenyan visa, and do not leave the East African Community, you can re-enter Kenya without applying for another visa for Kenya. You will need to apply for a visa for Rwanda.

Our colleagues purchase a single entry visa for Kenya, then travel to Uganda, come back to Kenya, travel to Rwanda, and come back to Kenya, and use the same single entry visa for Kenya. There is no need to purchase an additional or multiple entry visa for Kenya each time you come through.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:01 am

Our colleagues purchase a single entry visa for Kenya, then travel to Uganda, come back to Kenya, travel to Rwanda, and come back to Kenya, and use the same single entry visa for Kenya. There is no need to purchase an additional or multiple entry visa for Kenya each time you come through.
This is the exact opposite of my experience. Everytime I travel between Kenya and Uganda, I need to purchase a new visa for each and every entry into both countries.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
This is the exact opposite of my experience. Everytime I travel between Kenya and Uganda, I need to purchase a new visa for each and every entry into both countries.
They must be making money off you. When you get to the immigration counter, show them the old visa, and tell them you have been within the EACC.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you apply for a Kenyan visa, and do not leave the East African Community, you can re-enter Kenya without applying for another visa for Kenya. You will need to apply for a visa for Rwanda.

Yes this has certainly been true for many years. I've done it countless times going back to 2002 if I remember correctly. However I don't know if this rule has changed under the new East African visa scheme.

Also I'm sure we have discussed this in the past in this forum if you do a search.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:46 am

As you will be overnighting in Nairobi....
An assumption that does not necessarily apply.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Sabasi
An assumption that does not necessarily apply.
I am not overnighting either way. I applied for the transit visas last night and they were approved this morning, so it ended up not being a huge deal.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:49 pm

Well, I still have no idea why you needed a transit visa at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.