Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa: ACSA to enforce hand luggage regulations!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa: ACSA to enforce hand luggage regulations!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by WeekendWarr1or
No real problems. Flying jhb-cpt every week and only got weighed once in the last few months. Seems to be one and off whether they are checking luggage. If you have one piece off luggage they dont seem to care at all.
Thanks will update after my trip.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: BA GfL
I flew JNB-CPT, JNB-WDH, and CPT-JNB in May and June, hauling my 30-lb rollaboard, and had no problems. Whew.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:41 am

Programs: British Airways Silver
JHB to CPT yesterday on BA, no enforcement all. Not on size, weight or number of bags.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:34 pm

Passed through JNB twce this week, international to domestic and vice-versa. No interest in my hand luggage and no evidence of any checks at all.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:33 am

I went through AUH-JNB, JNB-CPT, CPT-JNB, JNB-AUH in mid-late September with a mid-large backpack and small duffle bag and didn't have any issues.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
I finally bumped into this - I think. (I'm not sure if the challenge was from an ACSA agent or one from SA.)

Was flying on SA in J domestically from CPT and immediately after boarding pass check at the gate there was a gent who asked to weigh my hand luggage. It was a very modest rollaboard - it easily fitted into the sizer and weighed in just under 7 Kgs - so not sure why he singled me out. My partner immediately behind me wasn't challenged (I was frantically signalling for him to move past ) even though his rollaboard was larger and heavier.

Seemed totally random. No sign of any checks for any of our other flights domestic or international.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:29 am

This Morning CPT to JHB on BA also a few very random checks. A guy asked about 3 or 4 people to weigh and when they were all around the 7kg mark he rolled the scale back and let everyone else pass.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Thursday evening, 17 Dec
JNB to CPT
Flying SAA

Nobody checking at domestic security.

Nobody checking at gate check-in desk.

Guy at end of jetway tagging large roll ons. But, not in an enforcement sort-of way, just doing it.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Thursday evening, 17 Dec
JNB to CPT
Flying SAA

Nobody checking at domestic security.

Nobody checking at gate check-in desk.

Guy at end of jetway tagging large roll ons. But, not in an enforcement sort-of way, just doing it.

A little bit more on this and recent month:
Over the past month -

IAD-JNB - @IAD nobody - either at check-in or at gate - cared how much we carried on and we had a LOT of stuff (6 carried on bags for 4 people).

JNB-CPT - @JNB boarding domestic flight - Nobody checking at domestic security. Nobody checking at gate check-in desk. Guy at end of jetway tagging large roll ons. But, not in an enforcement sort-of way, just doing it.

Couple of back and forth flights - light carry on load (one shoulder bag) - CPT-JNB-CPT - saw the sizers all over the place, nobody cared or did anything either at check-in, security checkpoints, gate or plane door.

CPT-JNB-IAD -

@CPT check-in - no issues. Lots of bags checked as well as a large amount of carry on stuff (carry on's were 6 total, 4 pax total).

@CPT security checkpoint (domestic) - sizers around, but not being enforced.

@CPT domestic boarding - it seemed as if you had a hard sided (what I call "tortoise shell") style wheelie, they grabbed you and gate checked. Soft sided seemed to get through. Also, they were definitely "focused" on on person at a time and letting others by. To wit if they pulled someone aside and were dealing with them, they didn't notice others with the same type/size of bag walking right by.

@JNB domestic to international security/passport control - nobody checked, no sizers noticed.

@JNB US-IAD bound flight secondary security - no issues, no sizers. Kids told to keep on shoes. The hand bag check of carry on luggage has devolved into a joke. They open the bags, look in and close the bags. No more rummaging around, taking everything out and/or opening smaller interior bags. They seem more interested in chatting with their fellow security staff members than actually looking in the bag.

@JNB US-IAD bound flight gate and plane door - no issues.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
@CPT domestic boarding - it seemed as if you had a hard sided (what I call "tortoise shell") style wheelie, they grabbed you and gate checked. Soft sided seemed to get through. Also, they were definitely "focused" on on person at a time and letting others by. To wit if they pulled someone aside and were dealing with them, they didn't notice others with the same type/size of bag walking right by.
Saw this again on my domestic departure on SA from CPT on Monday. Nothing for BA on my return (although it was a very lightly loaded flight). Is it just an SA thing these days?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Is it just an SA thing these days?
Interesting question. I don't know. All of my flights are SAA.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 7:28 am

CPT to JNB on BA this morning. Everything was checked and weighed. Even laptop bags.. Saw a few scales floating around at the other gates as well so probably going to start checking again.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WeekendWarr1or
CPT to JNB on BA this morning. Everything was checked and weighed. Even laptop bags.. Saw a few scales floating around at the other gates as well so probably going to start checking again.
Though I'll admit you were flying from CPT to JNB rather than down to CPT, could this stepped up enforcement be related to the Easter Holidays/Two Oceans traffic between JNB and CPT?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:49 am

Apologies for bumping this thread but I wonder if anyone has any recent experience of this? I am travelling from LHR to JNB and return next month and would prefer to travel with hand luggage only. BA will allow me one bag up to 23kg and another laptop bag (also up to 23kg in theory). This is clearly above the ACSA allowances and although I am not planning to get close to the BA limits I would be grateful for any recent experiences taking 2 bags as hand luggage with one above the 8kg limit. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
Apologies for bumping this thread but I wonder if anyone has any recent experience of this?
I've yet to see any signs of enforcement by ACSA whatsoever.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.