Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa: ACSA to enforce hand luggage regulations!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa: ACSA to enforce hand luggage regulations!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: All of the Above
I had 1 out of 4 flights care about the new regulation, but not a single person in the airport this month. There was a baggage nazi FA that literally picked up every carryon brought on board and said "hmmm, feels too heavy" or "feels fine". Made me check mine, and I asked why, and he said because it will break the overhead bin and it will fall and hurt me. I said I've flown on a320's all over the world with this exact bag, with zero issues, and he said that the other carriers obviously didn't care about my safety. Absolutely absurd.

The other 3 flights and transiting JNB was painless and no one said a word.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
I actually like the kit-bags themselves for storing various electronic knick-knacks.
Same here, but there is a limit to how many I can put to good use.

Back in the Good Old Days KL had a whole series of amenity kits. The (high quality) contents were the same, but the bags themselves came in various shapes: toilet bag, pencil case, shoe bag, ticket wallet (e-tickets had yet to be invented), etc. You never knew in advance which one would be handed out on your flight. They are almost indestructible, decades later I still have a whole bunch in use for various purposes.

Johan
Old May 20, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: Various
Another data point.

We (two of us) flew JNB-ZRH on LX about a week ago, and the baggage weight checkers were out in full force. We were in the business/first check-in area, but they (of course) didn't give a fig about that, and insisted that all bags over the weight limit must be checked.

We each had a backpack and a rollaboard, and the woman checking the weight of the bags put the little white tag on the backpacks without even checking them. Our rollaboards were over by a couple of kilos, so we asked permission to step back out of the area, and try to lighten them. We swapped our lightweight shoes for our hiking boots, put on our jackets with bulging pockets, and stuffed the (already approved) backpacks cram full. This brought us under the weight limit for the rollaboards, which were duly white-tagged as well.

Of course, we took off the jackets and boots, and removed the extra bits from the backpacks as soon as we were through security. What a farce.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mechteach
Another data point.

We (two of us) flew JNB-ZRH on LX about a week ago, and the baggage weight checkers were out in full force. We were in the business/first check-in area, but they (of course) didn't give a fig about that, and insisted that all bags over the weight limit must be checked.

We each had a backpack and a rollaboard, and the woman checking the weight of the bags put the little white tag on the backpacks without even checking them. Our rollaboards were over by a couple of kilos, so we asked permission to step back out of the area, and try to lighten them. We swapped our lightweight shoes for our hiking boots, put on our jackets with bulging pockets, and stuffed the (already approved) backpacks cram full. This brought us under the weight limit for the rollaboards, which were duly white-tagged as well.

Of course, we took off the jackets and boots, and removed the extra bits from the backpacks as soon as we were through security. What a farce.
This whole procedure is idiotic. Sure, if someone wants to carry on a sink, go after them by all means, but harrassing J/F pax over a few extra kg?

Too bad they don't make the employees do something useful, such as sweeping the floors.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA, onePass
If you were flying international on Lufthansa why wouldn't Lufthansa's hand baggage rules apply?

I can understand the weight restrictions for domestic flights on regional jets but certainly not on international.
Old May 22, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nalismom
If you were flying international on Lufthansa why wouldn't Lufthansa's hand baggage rules apply.
ACSA have for some mysterious reason taken it upon themselves to enforce their own uniform carry-on restrictions, the carriers' rules be damned. The only exception is SAA, whose pax are allowed 8 kg instead of 7.

Fortunately, enforcement so far seems to be haphazard or non-existent.

Johan
Old May 22, 2015, 4:34 pm

Thanks Johan..........

I hope it continues through September/October.....I'm still getting hung up on 'small purse or slimline laptop bag' yet no dimensions are given for those on SAA.......

I have one segment on Comair and because it's on a BA PNR......it has dimensions for that personal article which are 18 in x 14 in x 8 in......not exactly what I would consider 'small or slimline' so it would be nice to know what I could work with for my 2 SAA domestic segments.

Last edited by nalismom; May 22, 2015 at 5:08 pm
Old May 27, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by nalismom
If you were flying international on Lufthansa why wouldn't Lufthansa's hand baggage rules apply?

I can understand the weight restrictions for domestic flights on regional jets but certainly not on international.
Swiss, not Lufthansa, but the same idea applies. The woman who lectured us said it was for our personal safety, in case the overhead bins became detached from the airplane! If that happened, I think I would have much bigger problems than an "overweight" bag....
Old May 28, 2015, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mechteach
The woman who lectured us said it was for
YMMV

As many ACSA staff there are, there are possible conclusions to this statement.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
There was no sign of handbag enforcement earlier this week in JNB; sizers and signs but noone questioned our bags. Good thing too since I had a 30l backpack, separate camera bag, and bulging laptop bag

(If challenged I was going to have a nice chat with the officials and mention that the F cabin has plenty of space in the closet, etc - or engage in some creative repacking and jacket-pocket-stuffing).
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:27 pm

Anyone have any updated experiences on slimline laptop bags or women's handbags?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: British Airways Silver
No issues so far with Laptop bags.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Any recent updates / experiences? Will be travelling through JNB next week with a backpack of photographic equipment (same as post #33). Just wondering if all had gone quiet?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:36 pm

Curious about this as well, I'm travelling to JNB and CPT in a week's time with camera gear and laptop in a backpack.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: British Airways Silver
No real problems. Flying jhb-cpt every week and only got weighed once in the last few months. Seems to be one and off whether they are checking luggage. If you have one piece off luggage they dont seem to care at all.

Last edited by WeekendWarr1or; Sep 14, 2015 at 4:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.