Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads-up: New SA Immigration rules for kids

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: LH M&M
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I want to thank you all for encouraging me to take the later flight. When we arrived in Joburg, right on time at 9:40am, we were denied entry because we only had a passport and not an original birth certificate for my daughter (4 years old). I was stunned as neither of the airlines nor the guidebook had mentioned this. We ended up in a holding pen for 90 minutes and were almost sent back to Germany. Fortunately I was able to reach my neighbor at 2am who was able to get into my house and scan and email us a copy of the birth certificate. Even then it was uncertain that we would get in. The immigration guy was unbelievably rude and confrontational, and kept changing the requirements as soon as we would confirm them with him. Thank heavens for the Lufthansa rep who appealed to a supervisor and got us in. What a nightmare.

Anyway, we and our luggage made it to the Cape Town flight at 12:10pm with minutes to spare and arrived here on time, but it was a really bad way to start the trip. Thank you again for your advice.
I'm amazed they let you on the plane at your original point of departure, and didn't do a check when you boarded in FRA. They are supposed to deny you at that point already, and usually the checkin agents spend lots of time examining the documents. And then there are many cases reported in the SA media of people actually getting denied at JNB immigration and sent on the next plane home... Anyway I'm glad it worked out for you, and I really hope you have a good stay despite the not so great experience getting in.

Not to cause you any undue stress, but you will be required to show the certificate when leaving SA again - it might be overkill but if it were me, I'd ask the friend to courier the original or certified copy to some destination where you will be later in your trip. I'd say you were lucky to get in with a scanned copy, and there still exists the chance that either checkin or immigration won't accept a scanned copy when you leave, and missing your flight could mean waiting anyway for the original to be sent, and then a brand new set of one way tickets...
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
We flew with Qatar in December and had to show passports and birth certificates at check-in and prior to boarding for both the MUC-DOH and DOH-JNB legs. The staff at MUC even took a copy of the certificate to keep on file.
Had to show Birth Cert AND passports?

Please tell me this is not the norm and something special in your case.

We never travel with Birth Cert.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Had to show Birth Cert AND passports?

Please tell me this is not the norm and something special in your case.

We never travel with Birth Cert.
This is currently required for anyone traveling to South Africa with minor children (under 18). If both parents are traveling then a birth certificate must be produced which includes both parents names.

I understand that this law is under review currently but as it stands today you will not be admitted to (or allowed to leave) SA without this.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
This is currently required for anyone traveling to South Africa with minor children (under 18). If both parents are traveling then a birth certificate must be produced which includes both parents names.

I understand that this law is under review currently but as it stands today you will not be admitted to (or allowed to leave) SA without this.
Thanks.

The post earlier (#425) did not mention children. Whew!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:21 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by purch
I'm amazed they let you on the plane at your original point of departure, and didn't do a check when you boarded in FRA. They are supposed to deny you at that point already, and usually the checkin agents spend lots of time examining the documents. And then there are many cases reported in the SA media of people actually getting denied at JNB immigration and sent on the next plane home... Anyway I'm glad it worked out for you, and I really hope you have a good stay despite the not so great experience getting in.

Not to cause you any undue stress, but you will be required to show the certificate when leaving SA again - it might be overkill but if it were me, I'd ask the friend to courier the original or certified copy to some destination where you will be later in your trip. I'd say you were lucky to get in with a scanned copy, and there still exists the chance that either checkin or immigration won't accept a scanned copy when you leave, and missing your flight could mean waiting anyway for the original to be sent, and then a brand new set of one way tickets...

This last paragraph contains extremely relevant and important advice, JNelson113!
You are very fortunate to have been allowed to enter (even though the immigration official may well have been rude). You may very well NOT be so lucky on departure, so try to get the original (preferably) or a certified copy couriered to you!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm amazed they let you on the plane at your original point of departure, and didn't do a check when you boarded in FRA. They are supposed to deny you at that point already, and usually the checkin agents spend lots of time examining the documents.
"Airline check-in staff no longer have to ensure that foreign passengers are carrying an unabridged birth certificate (UBC) when travelling with a minor, confirmed Department of Home Affairs (DHA) Director General, Mkuseli Apleni. However, the DHA says the UBC requirement for travelling minors is still being “strongly advised”."

Source.

How can you remove a requirement, and then strongly advice compliance?

Sounds like they are just making things even more confusing by having instead decided "to confer powers on an immigration officer to exercise discretion to establish the relationship between the adult and travelling minor."

So pax with minors will now be at the mercy of immigration officers, which doesn't sound very reassuring.

Johan
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
I'm not sure the reporting is accurate. Look at the briefing:

The Department of Home Affairs is actively engaged with the implementation of the proposed review of the regulations regarding the issuing of a Travel Advisory. This is to address the recommendation on the issuing of a strong advisory for travellers accompanied by minors from countries which are visa-exempt, to ensure compliance with Unabridged Birth Certificate-related directives. After consultations on this matter, it was determined that the best way to give legal force to this advisory would be to amend the Immigration Regulations. Home Affairs is working jointly with the NDT, to ensure the regulations are amended accordingly.
The paper talks about "Regulation 12" when I think they mean subregulation (12) of regulation 6. I posted some of that above. It's really unclear what "confer[ing] powers on an immigration officer to exercise discretion to establish the relationship between the adult and travelling minor" actually means. Especially as the above talks about the change being to "ensure compliance with Unabridged Birth Certificate-related directives".

Wondering if this would be better in its own thread now.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: LH M&M
Originally Posted by johan rebel
"Airline check-in staff no longer have to ensure that foreign passengers are carrying an unabridged birth certificate (UBC) when travelling with a minor, confirmed Department of Home Affairs (DHA) Director General, Mkuseli Apleni. However, the DHA says the UBC requirement for travelling minors is still being “strongly advised”."
What's interesting is that timatic still has the UBC as a requirement, so despite the latest announcement, one would still likely be prevented from checking in by the airline.

How can you remove a requirement, and then strongly advice compliance?
Seems par for the course, considering the way the whole thing has been handled from the start.

So pax with minors will now be at the mercy of immigration officers, which doesn't sound very reassuring.
Exactly. There's no way I'd risk traveling without the certificate right now and for a few months into the future. If there's "discretion" involved, ironically it makes me want to have MORE documentation.

BTW, has anyone read whether the consent affidavit in case of parent traveling alone will be changed as well, or will that remain as before? The birth cert thing doesn't really affect me as we have several we can use for our daughter, but getting the affidavit notarised every few months is a pain...
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
BTW, has anyone read whether the consent affidavit in case of parent traveling alone will be changed as well, or will that remain as before? The birth cert thing doesn't really affect me as we have several we can use for our daughter, but getting the affidavit notarised every few months is a pain...
Yes.

The general consensus is that we are indeed on course, with notable progress being made. The actions that were to be taken in the immediate phase, within the first three months that followed the Cabinet decision, (that is, from 1 November 2015 to 31 January 2016), were to,
  1. Implement the capturing of biometrics at ports of entry, starting with a pilot at OR Tambo, King Shaka and Cape Town airports,
  2. Look at introducing an Accredited Tourism Company Programme for countries like China, India and Russia,
  3. Consider a long-term Multiple Entry Visa for a period exceeding 3 months and up to 3 years for frequent travellers (for business meetings), business people and academics,
  4. Ensure that principals issue letters confirming permission for children to travel on school tours,
  5. Extend the validity of the parental consent affidavit to 6 months.

With the support from partners, the Department of Home Affairs has delivered on all these concessions. This was within the recommended timeline, of three months.

[...]

Extension of validity of parental consent affidavit to 6 months

As recommended, the Parental Consent Affidavit has been extended from 4 to 6 months. The DHA Website has been updated accordingly.
http://www.home-affairs.gov.za/index...ardia-pretoria
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Last week, the Department of Home Affairs Director General, Mkuseli Apleni, said airline check-in staff no longer had to ensure that foreign passengers were carrying an unabridged birth certificate (UBC) when travelling with a minor. However, British Airways and Air China say they are yet to receive notification from the DHA and are still checking if passengers under 18 are carrying a UBC."

Source

Johan
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

40 people a day turned away by SA visa rule confusion

"On average, 40 people a day are turned away from travelling to South Africa because of continued confusion surrounding the requirement for unabridged birth certificates (UBC) for minors travelling to the country, says Satsa CEO, David Frost, quoting statistics he received from SAA."

Source

Johan
Old Apr 17, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Quick question.... A unabridged birth certificate is one that basically states both the parents name on it right? Also the one I have is a laminated original, will that be a issue?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Unfortunately necessary requirements to try and reduce both human trafficking and a parent "kidnapping" their own kid away from their spouse. The reason we're unprepared for the requirements is that 99.999% of us wouldn't ever think about the sort of things that some people do. I hope there's evidence it's working.
There isn't.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Quick question.... A unabridged birth certificate is one that basically states both the parents name on it right? Also the one I have is a laminated original, will that be a issue?
Correct. I can't see any reason why a laminated certificate would be a problem, they just need to see it to confirm that the names match the passport details.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Correct. I can't see any reason why a laminated certificate would be a problem, they just need to see it to confirm that the names match the passport details.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.