Reload this Page >

Heads-up: New SA Immigration rules for kids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads-up: New SA Immigration rules for kids

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:05 am

Clearly, we can depend on you to post continuously excerpts from "news" articles that have no journalistic value or standards. Tabloid reporting has a certain entertainment value for the less educated and non-critical thinkers.

What the South African Reserve Bank actually said: (https://www.resbank.co.za/Publicatio...&sarbitem=6883)

The South African economy contracted in the second quarter of 2015. Real gross domestic product (GDP) fell at an annualised rate of 1,3 per cent, reversing the positive growth of equal magnitude that was recorded in the first quarter of the year. During the second quarter, real output contracted sharply in the agricultural sector, brought about by widespread drought conditions.. Real value added also fell back considerably. in the mining, manufacturing and electricity sectors of the economy as a combination of disappointing global and domestic demand conditions and supply-side frictions, including electricity load-shedding, weighed on production. The trade and accommodation sector also registered a marginal contraction in the quarter under review, reflecting subdued domestic sales and tourism expenditure.

Part of the improvement in the trade account was offset by a larger deficit on the services, income and current transfer account. Large reductions in dividend and travel receipts – some of them probably related to stricter South African visa regulations – contributed to this outcome. Nevertheless, in the second quarter of 2015 the deficit on the current account narrowed further to 3,1 per cent of GDP, thereby contracting for the fourth consecutive quarter.
The Bank is doing no more than guessing about the causes of the decline in tourism receipts.

Last edited by Sabasi; Sep 16, 2015 at 8:22 pm
Old Sep 16, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
I'm not trying to be a smart alec but what confuses me Sabasi is that everyone seems to be "guessing" and speculating that the decline is caused by the change in immigration regulations, but you are adamant this is not the cause. Aren't you just guessing as well or do you have access to data and facts that everybody else, including the Reserve Bank, does not?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:21 pm

I have said "where is the reliable proof"? No one has posted it yet.

Common flaw on Internet fora is for user B to claim that user A is "denying" the existence of something when user A merely says "where is the reliable proof" of its existence. Yelling 100 times that it exists or citing unintelligent "news" articles does not make it so.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Sabasi
Plus irrational fears of Ebola, South Africa's reputation for not doing much about poaching, and the economic uncertainties in China and other countries. A decline in tourist numbers almost never has "one" cause, despite what the "news" media and travel providers/experts would have us believe.
So that's where the confusion stems from I suppose.

You have cited irrational fear, reputation and uncertainty as contributing factors. Yet those 3 elements are all subjective in nature. Hardly reliable proof one way or the other IMHO.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have said "where is the reliable proof"? No one has posted it yet.

Common flaw on Internet fora is for user B to claim that user A is "denying" the existence of something when user A merely says "where is the reliable proof" of its existence. Yelling 100 times that it exists or citing unintelligent "news" articles does not make it so.
Have the new restrictions improved or even kept stable tourism receipts and revenue/income profile arising from such export earnings? It would be quite a fantastic stretch for increased visitor restrictions to lead to increased revenue/earnings from visitors unless the market's supply side was already at capacity/margin-reducing demand levels and the restrictions altered the visitor profile by pushing out lower-spending demographic groups and replacing them with a higher-spending demographic group without a resulting drop in utilization and margins.

Do you really think that preponderance of the evidence indicates that the visitor restrictions had zero impact?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Do you really think that preponderance of the evidence indicates that the visitor restrictions had zero impact?
I think the restrictions may actually have boosted visitors by giving them the sense of security that if their children were abducted while on vacation, they couldn't be taken out of country without the right papers.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Have the new restrictions improved or even kept stable tourism receipts and revenue/income profile arising from such export earnings? It would be quite a fantastic stretch for increased visitor restrictions to lead to increased revenue/earnings from visitors unless the market's supply side was already at capacity/margin-reducing demand levels and the restrictions altered the visitor profile by pushing out lower-spending demographic groups and replacing them with a higher-spending demographic group without a resulting drop in utilization and margins.

Try reading what I have already written.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Guvner067
So that's where the confusion stems from I suppose.

You have cited irrational fear, reputation and uncertainty as contributing factors. Yet those 3 elements are all subjective in nature. Hardly reliable proof one way or the other IMHO.
Read the "news" reports linked in this forum. Yes, they are hysterical because of their tone, lack of balance, and utter lack of reliable and rational sourcing. Their point is to drive readership based on fear and sensationalism instead of providing actual news.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 4:17 am

Read the "news" reports linked in this forum. Yes, they are hysterical because of their tone, lack of balance, and utter lack of reliable and rational sourcing. Their point is to drive readership based on fear and sensationalism instead of providing actual news.
Perhaps read my post again as your response is a little off tangent to say the least. I'm well aware of the business model behind daily rags, that's not what I was asking though.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by B747-437B
I think the restrictions may actually have boosted visitors by giving them the sense of security that if their children were abducted while on vacation, they couldn't be taken out of country without the right papers.
Visas issued outside of Africa to children to visit South Africa haven't dropped?

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 17, 2015 at 6:46 am
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B747-437B
I have a hard time imagining that any parents would worry about their kids being abducted while on vacation in SA, let alone feel more secure because of these silly regulations. You could take 1,000 kids a day out of the country across SA's porous borders without anyone noticing.

"International family arrivals, which had been growing by 1.8%, have fallen 10% year on year since the introduction in June of the requirement for children under 18 to travel with an unabridged birth certificate or equivalent thereof. This is according to the latest figures from ForwardKeys, which monitors future travel patterns by analysing 14 million reservation transactions each day.

The ForwardKeys analysis shows a negative effect on family travel to South Africa from a wide range of countries, most notably France, down 29%; Sweden, down 29%; the USA down 18%; and Germany, down 16%.

“Our data provides strong evidence of the negative impact the new rules are having on this important market segment in South Africa. The restrictions are hitting travel from countries around the world,” said Olivier Jager, ForwardKeys Co-founder and CEO. “The family segment was growing at 1.8% before the new requirements were introduced, unlike other segments, which were falling.”
"

Source

Some will no doubt manage argue that this is also just alarmist and hysterical rumormongering without any factual basis.

Johan
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What the South African Reserve Bank actually said: " Large reductions in dividend and travel receipts – some of them probably related to stricter South African visa regulations"
Which was quoted word for word in the "news" article referred to. Except for the italics, why I'm guessing you took it upon yourself to add.

Johan
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:17 pm

They're guessing. And it's clear as day from the article that they didn't even research the particular issue before pontificating on it. But there's almost no "news" article you won't quote here, as if the "news" were indisputable fact.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
"International family arrivals, which had been growing by 1.8%, have fallen 10% year on year since the introduction in June of the requirement for children under 18 to travel with an unabridged birth certificate or equivalent thereof. This is according to the latest figures from ForwardKeys, which monitors future travel patterns by analysing 14 million reservation transactions each day.

The ForwardKeys analysis shows a negative effect on family travel to South Africa from a wide range of countries, most notably France, down 29%; Sweden, down 29%; the USA down 18%; and Germany, down 16%.

“Our data provides strong evidence of the negative impact the new rules are having on this important market segment in South Africa. The restrictions are hitting travel from countries around the world,” said Olivier Jager, ForwardKeys Co-founder and CEO. “The family segment was growing at 1.8% before the new requirements were introduced, unlike other segments, which were falling.”
"

Source
Once again confusing coincidence/association with causation and, worse, neglecting (probably intentionally) to discuss other possible causes of the alleged tourism drop.

Does anyone in South Africa know anything about statistics?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 1:52 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Once again confusing coincidence/association with causation and, worse, neglecting (probably intentionally) to discuss other possible causes of the alleged tourism drop.

Does anyone in South Africa know anything about statistics?
I agree that correlation and causation are two different things. And that putting them together is a common mistake by people who do not understand even the basis of statistics.

But since you have been dismissing everything that has been said in this thread, can you now show us (with the required robust statistical evidence of course) what actually IS causing the drop in tourism figures. Or do you deny that drop as well (even though the statistics are there)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.