Search

Heads-up: New SA Immigration rules for kids

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by johan rebel
"On average, 40 people a day are turned away from travelling to South Africa because of continued confusion surrounding the requirement for unabridged birth certificates (UBC) for minors travelling to the country, says Satsa CEO, David Frost, quoting statistics he received from SAA."

Source

Johan
And how many of those 40 people turned away were engaged in international transport of their own children without the parental authorization in the country of legal residence of those with such minor children? My guess: it's a number approaching zero. Some would say the number is zero unless and until there are conviction records.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Hi onlysuites!

I replied to your other thread on the UBC or original birth certificate and will advise here as well... I would not risk bringing a laminated one. You should bring the original paper birth certificate which typically has a raised seal or embossing or something of that nature. Better safe than sorry.

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dianne_AfricaDirectUSA
Hi onlysuites!

I replied to your other thread on the UBC or original birth certificate and will advise here as well... I would not risk bringing a laminated one. You should bring the original paper birth certificate which typically has a raised seal or embossing or something of that nature. Better safe than sorry.

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Ok thanks. Will order a new one.
Old May 5, 2016, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unabridged birth certificates to stay for now

"Requirements for unabridged birth certificates (UBC) for minors travelling to the country will remain in place for the unforeseeable future, says Tourism Minister, Derek Hanekom.

Speaking to Tourism Update following his budget vote in Parliament he said the lifting of the requirements was a priority for his office that remained in “intense discussions” with the Department of Home Affairs.
"

Source

Intense discussions?

That sounds really encouraging!

Johan
Old May 6, 2016, 4:45 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by johan rebel
"Requirements for unabridged birth certificates (UBC) for minors travelling to the country will remain in place for the unforeseeable future, says Tourism Minister, Derek Hanekom.

Speaking to Tourism Update following his budget vote in Parliament he said the lifting of the requirements was a priority for his office that remained in “intense discussions” with the Department of Home Affairs.
"

Source

Intense discussions?

That sounds really encouraging!

Johan
I love that the requirement will stay in place for the 'unforseeable future' - I'm surprised that they can forsee what's going to happen there
Old May 13, 2016, 7:14 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

It is amazing how a country like SA which is so corrupt, but can organize and implement into law such a worthless piece of legislation.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 1:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
If I request a birth certificate from the UK government web site is it an original in the sense that it is directly from the government? I could in theory order again and have two, three, etc of them - all of which might then be originals. Or are they marked up in some way to be a suitable 'copy'?

Section "Service Levels Q3" of the FAQ suggests that what is supplied is a "certified copy (aka certificate)"

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Jun 17, 2016 at 1:58 am
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
If I request a birth certificate from the UK government web site is it an original in the sense that it is directly from the government? I could in theory order again and have two, three, etc of them - all of which might then be originals. Or are they marked up in some way to be a suitable 'copy'?

Section "Service Levels Q3" of the FAQ suggests that what is supplied is a "certified copy (aka certificate)"
I read that to mean that they don't produce a version other than printing it out on their own special paper and mailing/physically handing it to you. The paper printed version likely uses paper that is embossed, stamped or watermarked so that it wouldn't be able to be generated as a PDF and printed out on a home printer b/c you wouldn't have the correct special paper nor would your fax machine receiving it be able to receiving it and print it on the correct special paper.

In the USA many jurisdictions keep the "actual" birth certificate filed by the hospital, doctor, mid-wife, etc. and you never get "it" - e.g. the actual certificate. What you get, which would commonly be called one's birth certificate, is actually a certificate of the birth from that "actual" original birth certificate. So, for example, one state (I think NY) used to (and I think Virginia) issue (or currently issues) a certificate that said "Certification of Live Birth" its and certification that there is a birth certificate. And, BTW, both such certs have worked for me entering/leaving SA.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think the distinction they are trying to make with "copy" is that if you photocopy the original birth certificate then you need to have that copy officially certified. A certificate issued by your registrars office is already certified.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Thanks, that was my understanding as well.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:58 am

Apparently, they were considering some changes to the rules. But, at least on the tourism side, the changes are not enough.

http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/artic...s-its-heels-in
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:01 am

Caught this via SAA's Inflight Magazine Sawubona Blog
http://www.saasawubona.com/new-child...troduced-2017/

Notably "The new child passport for minors would include the details of both the child’s parents, doing away with the need for an unabridged birth certificate when travelling. This is an effort to make travel to and from South Africa easier, while also curbing issues of child trafficking."
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
"The new child passport for minors would include the details of both the child’s parents, doing away with the need for an unabridged birth certificate when travelling. This is an effort to make travel to and from South Africa easier, while also curbing issues of child trafficking."
Great idea.

Now all they need to do is issue "child passports for minors" to all the kids in the world.

Johan
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Caught this via SAA's Inflight Magazine Sawubona Blog
http://www.saasawubona.com/new-child...troduced-2017/

Notably "The new child passport for minors would include the details of both the child’s parents, doing away with the need for an unabridged birth certificate when travelling. This is an effort to make travel to and from South Africa easier, while also curbing issues of child trafficking."
What are they going to do when a child is a product of three parent IVF?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Family travel to SA ‘virtually impossible’

"South Africa’s requirement for unabridged birth certificates has made family travel to the country “virtually impossible”, Daily Maverick reports Belgian newspaper De Standaard as saying"

Source

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.