Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gautrain now running from JNB to Sandton

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA BD SA
LongingForORD, the S3 bus travels along Rivonia Road and past the Hilton. Unfortunately the stops are far apart. The first stop is the nearest and although it gets you about 600 metres closer, there are still about another 300 metres to the Hilton. No problem at all in fair weather and without cumbersome luggage.

In fact the whole distance is less than 1 kilometre so eminently walkable in good conditions. Otherwise a metered taxi would get you there in less than 5 minutes.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
thanks Cheetah_SA, good information.

As I said, I love trains, so the new Guatrain it will be for me (although it will not be new by October). Can't wait!
Old May 29, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by LongingForORD
I am transiting in JNB in Oct. and staying overnight at the Sandton Hilton, is there service to the hotel from the Sandton train station? We usually have a driver, but I really like taking trains (ie: HEX, HK airport express) so I am looking forward to taking the train (even though there are 3 of us traveling, so the train is looking more expensive than a taxi or driver).

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Sorry to reply to such an old question, but I figure it will be helpful to others doing searches.

The hotel's website says they have a free shuttle to the train station:
Complimentary Shuttle to Gautrain Station and the Nelson Mandela Square at Sandton City
I don't know how often it runs.

(I'm planning a stay at the end of December, to start an ex-JNB xONEx trip, and have been looking into how to get there and what to do on my one full day there, Christmas Day so not sure safaris or anything will be an option.)
Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:13 pm

So funny you would re-post this now. I am actually heading back there next month. We did take the train in Oct 2010, but it was not an enjoyable ride (alot of questionable security guards). When we got off the train and started walking, I did see spot where the Hilton shuttle picks up and drops off at the mall, but thought I could make it on foot. After walking around in circles for more than an hour (with a lot of luggage), I finally walked up to a que'd cab driver and asked him to take me to the Hilton, he just smiled (and laughed) at me and said it was just around the corner, gave me detailed instructions and sent me on my way. Anyway, for the trip next month I will arrange the Hilton to pick us up at the airport to bring us straight to the hotel. Hope you enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by LongingForORD
So funny you would re-post this now. I am actually heading back there next month. We did take the train in Oct 2010, but it was not an enjoyable ride (alot of questionable security guards). When we got off the train and started walking, I did see spot where the Hilton shuttle picks up and drops off at the mall, but thought I could make it on foot. After walking around in circles for more than an hour (with a lot of luggage), I finally walked up to a que'd cab driver and asked him to take me to the Hilton, he just smiled (and laughed) at me and said it was just around the corner, gave me detailed instructions and sent me on my way. Anyway, for the trip next month I will arrange the Hilton to pick us up at the airport to bring us straight to the hotel. Hope you enjoy your trip.
It's a lot more for the Hilton to pick you up, isn't it? I think we did that a couple years ago but can't recall the cost now

Also, I thought the Hilton had a shuttle that specifically picked up from the train station. I'm not sure of course.

Last edited by anabolism; Jun 5, 2012 at 10:22 pm
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:28 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
I use the Gautrain all the time. It is great, cheap, and quick. I did not find the security guards to be "questionable" at all. In fact they were professional and friendly.

Get the Hilton number and call them when your train arrives at Sandton. They are usually there within 15 minutes. They pick you up from the front of the station.

RWA
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I use it too. It's a bit of a walk to the IC Sandton, but not too bad if your bags are light.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gautrain’s Rosebank-CBD link opens

"The Gautrain made its first passenger run to Park Station in the Johannesburg CBD on June 6. The opening of this last link was delayed from July 2011 because the section of tunnel between Rosebank and Park stations had been affected by technical problems and contractual disputes.

Commuters between central Johannesburg and Rosebank, who had been relying on a bus to ferry them between the two stations would cut their journey time from about 25 minutes to between three and four minutes by using the rail link.
"

Source

Johan
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
It's a lot more for the Hilton to pick you up, isn't it? I think we did that a couple years ago but can't recall the cost now

Also, I thought the Hilton had a shuttle that specifically picked up from the train station. I'm not sure of course.
If I remember correctly, the car service from the Hilton cost the same as the 3 tickets on the train (3 of us were/are traveling together). Probably not worth it is you are traveling alone, but for the 3 of us the car service from the Hilton to the airport was great, door to door and we never touched a bag.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Another train buff here. I'm looking forward to using the Gautrain soon and have a couple of questions for the SA experts.

1. According to this: http://www.gautrain.co.za/contents/c...ckguide_A4.pdf
it seems that travelling from Park Station, we need to change at Sandton (or Marlboro) for JNB. Is that right?

2. I see the dubious dual pricing schemes:
- Park to Sandton: 21 ZAR
- Park to Pretoria: 46 ZAR
- Park to JNB: 115 ZAR
- Sandton to JNB: 105 ZAR

Not worth bothering about for a single journey, but is there a workaround for regular users to avoid the JNB toll? [Yes, I'm familiar with other ripoffs such as the LHR Hoppa.]

3. I haven't yet booked hotels. Which of these is recommended for access by Gautrain for 2 adults with baggage?
- IC Sandton (or other IHG hotel)
- Hilton Sandton
- CP Rosebank

Thanks for advice.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The train is a lot cheaper than a taxi for over 700 (or whatever the current price is) any case.

The IC is the best hotel, followed by the Hilton, CP and we would be remiss to not mention the Holiday Inn, which is one of the best HI's I've ever stayed at. So maybe it depends on which chain you have status in or want to earn points at. Or how much you want to pay. They are all walking distance unless you are overloaded with bags.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, stimpy.

Yes, good point about the Holiday Inn. I have stayed there and at the IC on Pointbreaks, as well as revenue stays at the IC and Hilton (and also the Hyatt at Rosebank).

Given they are all walkable from the Gautrain, I'll research options. PCR Plat Ambassador and Hilton Gold, by the way.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Roger
Thanks, stimpy.

Yes, good point about the Holiday Inn. I have stayed there and at the IC on Pointbreaks, as well as revenue stays at the IC and Hilton (and also the Hyatt at Rosebank).

Given they are all walkable from the Gautrain, I'll research options. PCR Plat Ambassador and Hilton Gold, by the way.
If you can get the Hilton on Points + Miles it is a real steal, saw it for 15,000 point + $30 and did not book it. Now can not find the dates I need. See if there is availablility for your dates.

PS: they have always treated me well as a Gold or Diamond.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
The IC is the best hotel, followed by the Hilton, CP and we would be remiss to not mention the Holiday Inn, which is one of the best HI's I've ever stayed at. So maybe it depends on which chain you have status in or want to earn points at. Or how much you want to pay. They are all walking distance unless you are overloaded with bags.
The Hilton's page says they have a shuttle to/from the train (as well as the mall), and as roadwarriorafrica posted in #21, if you call the Hilton they'll come pick you up, so no need to walk.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the updates, folks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.