Wiki Posts
Search

Aegean Visa Card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, AB Gold
Aegean Visa Card

Is it possible to obtain Aegean's Visa card if you live outside Greece?

I see the website is in English here...

https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...an-bonus-visa/

but when I click to apply it all turns into Greek.

Can anyone help?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:10 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
No, it's not I'm afraid - you need a Greek National Insurance number.

The Cypriot version is possible, but it's a much less attractive proposition in terms on benefits.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
No, it's not I'm afraid - you need a Greek National Insurance number...
A small correction, which doesn't change much: You need a Greek tax number (ΑΦΜ) and not a National Insurance number (AMKA).
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by KLouis
A small correction, which doesn't change much: You need a Greek tax number (ΑΦΜ) and not a National Insurance number (AMKA).
Getting an AFM shouldn't be too difficult. You need some sort of guarantor, a greek person with an AFM to get one yourself. The real problem is, that you need to prove to have an income in Greece to obtain the card from Alpha Bank Greece.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Arrivals
Getting an AFM shouldn't be too difficult. You need some sort of guarantor, a greek person with an AFM to get one yourself. The real problem is, that you need to prove to have an income in Greece to obtain the card from Alpha Bank Greece.
In addition to the "guarantor" and the proof of local income, you have to go to your local tax office (depending on where you live) in person, stay on line for some time and finally deal with the people on the other side of the river who, in 95% of the cases, don't speak English or pretend to not speak English; then, they will ask a lot of completely illogical questions that are consistent in the sense that any answer you provide will not satisfy them. Finally, if there is a happy ending, you'll have the ΑΦΜ that will allow you to own one more CC that you'll have to pay an annual fee for and which be useful for what? Free advice from a medic: forget it!
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
No, it's not I'm afraid - you need a Greek National Insurance number.

The Cypriot version is possible, but it's a much less attractive proposition in terms on benefits.
Why do you think the Cyprus version is much less attractive? Last year, I collected 250k miles with my Visa card. This is because they give i mile per € spent, with 2 miles per € for Aegean flights and Hellenic duty free purchases. On top of this, they have frequent double miles promotions like between August 15 and September 15 this year. Miles are also awarded for all spending including paying government taxes. And if you deposit €15,000 for one year (withdrawals possible every 3 months), you get 10k miles per year plus 1.5% interest. Moreover, you do not need to have a tax number to set up an account although there are strict Alpha Bank money laundering restrictions in place for anyone who wants to use the card extensively.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by johnirvine
Why do you think the Cyprus version is much less attractive? Last year, I collected 250k miles with my Visa card. This is because they give i mile per € spent, with 2 miles per € for Aegean flights and Hellenic duty free purchases. On top of this, they have frequent double miles promotions like between August 15 and September 15 this year. Miles are also awarded for all spending including paying government taxes. And if you deposit €15,000 for one year (withdrawals possible every 3 months), you get 10k miles per year plus 1.5% interest. Moreover, you do not need to have a tax number to set up an account although there are strict Alpha Bank money laundering restrictions in place for anyone who wants to use the card extensively.
10k miles per year? That's not bad, I want to get an EURO credit card
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:08 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by johnirvine
But the Greek version earns more per Euro, doesn't it?

Someone will have to help me more here, but I also understood the Cypriot card was closer to a pre-pay, i.e. you had to be in credit prior to spending, but the Greek version was a true credit card.

There's also an annual charge for the Cypriot card from year 2 onwards.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
But the Greek version earns more per Euro, doesn't it?

Someone will have to help me more here, but I also understood the Cypriot card was closer to a pre-pay, i.e. you had to be in credit prior to spending, but the Greek version was a true credit card.

There's also an annual charge for the Cypriot card from year 2 onwards.
There are retailers who are partners of the Alpha Bank bonus program and give you 4 or 2 miles per euro spent, but the rest are at 1 mile/euro. AB super markets and BP gas stations are examples of 4 miles/euro - so kinda gives you an incentive to go there all the time (worked for me when I was in Greece, loaded up on miles this way).

2 and 3 years ago they had a X-mas special where you earned 10 miles/euro at the partner retailers. That was great, but they didn't do it last December...
Argyris likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by blackball
There are retailers who are partners of the Alpha Bank bonus program and give you 4 or 2 miles per euro spent, but the rest are at 1 mile/euro. AB super markets and BP gas stations are examples of 4 miles/euro - so kinda gives you an incentive to go there all the time (worked for me when I was in Greece, loaded up on miles this way).

2 and 3 years ago they had a X-mas special where you earned 10 miles/euro at the partner retailers. That was great, but they didn't do it last December...
Yes, I you can get a lot of miles if you live in this country and use the A3-linked CC. Unfortunately for me, I have a M&M-linked one and if I use it less frequently than once a month, my 37 K miles will be lost. Since I no longer fly LH/LX/OS, using the CC is the only way to prevent the miles from disappearing. I have to find a quick way to burn them, and then I'll be free...
Old Aug 19, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by KLouis
In addition to the "guarantor" and the proof of local income, you have to go to your local tax office (depending on where you live) in person, stay on line for some time and finally deal with the people on the other side of the river who, in 95% of the cases, don't speak English or pretend to not speak English; then, they will ask a lot of completely illogical questions that are consistent in the sense that any answer you provide will not satisfy them. Finally, if there is a happy ending, you'll have the ΑΦΜ that will allow you to own one more CC that you'll have to pay an annual fee for and which be useful for what? Free advice from a medic: forget it!
Are you a medic? !
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:35 am

Yes, but rather than curing people, I was killing... mosquitoes: a vector-borne disease researcher.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Wakefield_boy
Is it possible to obtain Aegean's Visa card if you live outside Greece?

I see the website is in English here...

https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...an-bonus-visa/

but when I click to apply it all turns into Greek.

Can anyone help?
There was a thread on this before. The A3 card is not an easy one to obtain for people based outside Greece unless they have links still there with the AFM. I do not see them opening it up in new ( Non Greek ) markets either.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:28 am

There were posed above regarding the A3 Cyprus card.

Can members here please clarify how can it be obtained? is it applicable to a person which is not a Cyprus resident and without an income generated in Cyprus?

Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Guys why don't you take an SPG card if you're in the UK? I think the conversion rate is at least 1:1 with bonuses. Much more attractive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.