Wiki Posts
Search

Aegean Visa Card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:36 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I doubt that any bank in the world would give you a credit card for a country that you don't live in and have no income in.

Well, for the average guy with a bit of money, Amex may give you a card in a country where you hold some sort of status (such as citizenship or permanent residency) even if you don't live there, on the strength of an Amex held in the country where you live and have income/assets.

And in some countries HSBC will give you a credit card if you have held a Premier account for some time on the strength of the balance in your account, and whether you take out any investments with them such that you are unlikely to spend up to your limit and then withdraw all your savings and run off.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by DrHalxx
Guys why don't you take an SPG card if you're in the UK? I think the conversion rate is at least 1:1 with bonuses. Much more attractive
SPG isn't likely to be around in a couple of years.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:40 pm

1. From the posts above it seems like the A3 Cyprus version is a debit card, which means one needs the funds available in their daily account for transactions to be approved. So there is no risk from the bank's side, and hence they might be willing to provide to non-residents or people without an income generated in Cyprus, as long as that person has deposited sufficient funds into the account.

Originally Posted by :D!
I doubt that any bank in the world would give you a credit card for a country that you don't live in and have no income in.
Well, that's inaccurate. In Thailand some banks will provide a credit card even without residency or working there, provided the applicant has left a deposit with bank. The monthly usage limit is set equal to the deposit, and funds will be withdrawn from that deposit to cover any unpaid credit transactions. So again, no risk as far as the bank is concerned.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by mzzxx11
1. From the posts above it seems like the A3 Cyprus version is a debit card...
2...Well, that's inaccurate. In Thailand some banks will provide a credit card...
Thailand is not a member of the EU, while Cyprus is. Since a few years EU regulations for opening bank accounts are very strict in order to "fight" money laundering (permit of stay, letters from employer for foreign nationals, etc.). A few years back, with a regular salary from a very renown institution in Perugia, it took me a hell of a lot of back and forth, including visits to the "agenzia delle entrate" (the Italian IRS) to be able to open a "usable" bank account and even more fuss to get a credit card. Indeed, a debit card was issued, but in 2012 several airlines only accepted credit and no debit cards, including A3!!!

At any rate, all of this is irrelevant, as the Cypriot Alpha Visa is a credit card, as described here.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:51 pm

My reply was to the comment "any bank in the world...", so I'm giving a valid example where a person can obtain a CC without being a resident or generating income at the country.

And...Cyprus is not Italy, so I'm not sure how much of your experience applies to the process with Alpha bank Cyprus.

Edit: I've followed the link you've provided, and in the "Useful information" section it seems that it works as debit card:
https://goo.gl/p5xAfw
"
Useful information about you card

You can pay off your card balance in the following ways:

By direct debit from your bank account held with Alpha Bank
At any Alpha Bank branch
At any Alpha Bank ATM in Cyprus by cash or cheque deposit or by direct debit from your bank account
Via the Internet, by using the Alpha Express Banking Electronic Services provided you maintain an Alpha Bank account
"

Last edited by mzzxx11; Sep 14, 2016 at 12:00 am
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
My reply was to the comment "any bank in the world...", so I'm giving a valid example where a person can obtain a CC without being a resident or generating income at the country.

And...Cyprus is not Italy, so I'm not sure how much of your experience applies to the process with Alpha bank Cyprus.

Edit: I've followed the link you've provided, and in the "Useful information" section it seems that it works as debit card:
https://goo.gl/p5xAfw
"
Useful information about you card

You can pay off your card balance in the following ways:

By direct debit from your bank account held with Alpha Bank
At any Alpha Bank branch
At any Alpha Bank ATM in Cyprus by cash or cheque deposit or by direct debit from your bank account
Via the Internet, by using the Alpha Express Banking Electronic Services provided you maintain an Alpha Bank account
"
As perhaps the only A3 Flyertalk member who holds both a Thai credit card and an Alpha Cyprus Aegean Visa card, let me try to clear up some misconceptions.

It is certainly possible in Thailand to obtain a credit card without being resident but you will need a reputable Thai to both vouch for you and allow you to use their address (if you do not have one). You also need to hold deposits with the bank that are sufficient to cover your expenses. In the case of Bangkok Bank, for example, they will probably first issue you with a generic domestic card that functions as a debit card. A fully fledged Visa credit card with your name embossed on it is harder to get as a non-resident but easily possible after the bank gets to know you. This card is called a credit card, looks like a credit card, and functions as a credit card (for example, with car hire bookings) but is actually equivalent to the European debit card in that money is deducted from your account after every transaction.

The Aegean Cyprus Visa card is also officially a credit card and rather more difficult to obtain than an Alpha Bank debit card. Cardholders who have been with Alpha Bank for some time generally have card limits that are not secured by bank deposits and, for them, the description of the card as a 'debit card' is nonsense. For new customers, however, credit needs to be secured by a blocked deposit. In all cases, bills are settled some time after the monthly accounting period ends and not after each transaction as in Thailand.

Th obtain an Aegean Cyprus Visa card, you need to apply personally at a branch with a valid passport, rental contract or title deed, and a recent utility bill. You will need to open both a blocked deposit account and current account using funds that pass the strict money laundering procedures which the bank employs. Temporary visitors (like owners of holiday homes) are eligible.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
In addition to the "guarantor" and the proof of local income, you have to go to your local tax office (depending on where you live) in person, stay on line for some time and finally deal with the people on the other side of the river who, in 95% of the cases, don't speak English or pretend to not speak English; then, they will ask a lot of completely illogical questions that are consistent in the sense that any answer you provide will not satisfy them. Finally, if there is a happy ending, you'll have the ΑΦΜ that will allow you to own one more CC that you'll have to pay an annual fee for and which be useful for what? Free advice from a medic: forget it!
Your description of the tax dept :
your to kind -lol--- at times they treat you as the enemy -not very helpful in any way
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:29 am

...And...Cyprus is not Italy, so I'm not sure how much of your experience applies to the process with Alpha bank Cyprus.
Sorry, but bank laws have been "unified" across the EU. I cited my experience with Italy because writing about my wife's experience in Greece would be at least twice as long But if you don't believe me, feel free to apply for a Cypriot Alpha credit card; I obviously have no problem with that and we'll get a definite answer.

Finally, when a bank calls one of its products a credit card, it's a credit card, irrespective on how you pay your bill.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
so, after some time passed, anyone non-Cypriot had any luck or definite answer regarding obtaining the Cypriot A3 Credit Card? I suppose the Greek one without a Greek AFM number is still off-limits...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by matio_svk
so, after some time passed, anyone non-Cypriot had any luck or definite answer regarding obtaining the Cypriot A3 Credit Card? I suppose the Greek one without a Greek AFM number is still off-limits...
It is very easy for a non-Cypriot to obtain an Alpha Cyprus A3 Visa Credit Card. Your nationality is in fact irrelevant. All you need to do is produce a valid passport, provide a Cyprus residential address and a recent utility bill, and fill in a 'know your customer' form. A linked current account will be set up and funds will be blocked equal to 110% of your monthly credit limit. No tax number is required.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
ok, let me re-phrase, non-cypriot not living in Cyprus
but, I would not mind traveling to Cyprus + setting up an account with some funds as a guarantee
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by matio_svk
ok, let me re-phrase, non-cypriot not living in Cyprus
but, I would not mind traveling to Cyprus + setting up an account with some funds as a guarantee
You first need a Cyprus address - perhaps get a friend to oblige? Then set up a CYTA telephone contract giving this address. In principle, Alpha bank will then allow you to set up a current account and also a M&B visa account if adequate funds are blocked. You will also need to supply details of foreign earnings so that inward fund transfers can be accepted.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Yes forget the Greek Credit Card. It is almost impossible to get one these days with bankrupt banks, even if you live in GR and have an income. You would need to own a house or some sort of collateral to get one so if you default (default rates 50%), they can scare you into paying!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Yes forget the Greek Credit Card. It is almost impossible to get one these days with bankrupt banks, even if you live in GR and have an income. You would need to own a house or some sort of collateral to get one so if you default (default rates 50%), they can scare you into paying!
You need to be a it more creative! Do you actually need credit or M&B miles? If the former, forget about the Alpha Visa since credit without cash security is a no go. If the latter, you need to treat the Alpha Credit Card as a Debit Card. If, for example, you want a baseline credit limit of €5,000, Alpha will require you to set up a current account with blocked funds of €5,500 (the 10% extra is security for interest charges). What you then do is transfer funds directly to the Visa account to top up the credit as funds are expended.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Actually it is really interesting to gain the bonuses. Too bad the deal is expiring 3 days...
Why did nobody try to go to the Alpha Bank Branch in UK? I'm from Belgium and it would be interesting to have an Aegean visa card, and UK is closer.
Will keep you all posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.