Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles&Bonus redemption question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
It is possible to visit both Montreal and Toronto if your stopover in YUL is between 12-20 hrs.

But remember A3 charges YQ on SQ and AC, so if you are redeeming for A3 miles from Europe it would be better to redeem it on US instead. I belive US fly to CDG. You can do something like CDG-PHL-YUL or YYZ
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by J_rob129
It is possible to visit both Montreal and Toronto if your stopover in YUL is between 12-20 hrs.

But remember A3 charges YQ on SQ and AC, so if you are redeeming for A3 miles from Europe it would be better to redeem it on US instead. I belive US fly to CDG. You can do something like CDG-PHL-YUL or YYZ
I have never tried SQ or LX. I'm practically doing the trip so i can fly SQ A380 , visit a nice EU city and back to YUL/YYZ/YVR

I don't know a clue how much the surcharges would be, i have not called A3 as award would be for Dec 2015... I hope it is not to steep? ....

Which is the best way to get the none/ or the less YQ surcharges on A3 from the NA to Europe/Europe NA? In Oneworld you just have to avoid BA. In A3 i don't know if there are any specific airlines more preferable than the others to redeem, specially on a North America to Europe route.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 3:03 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by mvtm
Availability for SQ25 in Y is wide open if booked in advance. What i don't quite get about ANA tool, is that when i search SQ25 and add another leg. Example FRA-XXX the availability is reduced. ? When i combine it with another leg, would this get me problems?

I made my mind and i am not doing TLV, the list is long. I'm considering:

Vienna or Geneva or Copenhagen or Oslo or Moscow or St Petersburg or Stockholm

On my way back i want to do Canada, so it all depends on the destination that i choose in Europe either is to return via YYZ/YUL. (maybe YVR, but it's much more limited)

Are Montreal and Toronto close to each other on drive time? Which one is closer to Ottawa?
Why route to DME after flying from JFK when SQ flies there direct from North American? Unless your plan is to fly back on SQ using that route as well?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by jbfield
Why route to DME after flying from JFK when SQ flies there direct from North American? Unless your plan is to fly back on SQ using that route as well?
I don't think i'll be going to DME, it's a possibility but i'm not still sold out on Russia. I don't need a Russian visa so there's no trouble. I know there's IAH-DME SQ61 from the US, but i think i'm learning more towards to do an Euro trip. The only major A380 route i can take are Lufthansa's and SQ so they both leave me in FRA.

I don't plan flying back on SQ , once i try it is okay. For the return i prefer to try Swiss or the best eco class i can get from most EU destinations to North America.

If JFK-FRA SQ A380 idea is unbearable. Like $400 in surcharges just for that leg i'll plan something else. I have never paid fuel surcharges using miles coming from American. So , if anyone can pinpoint the basics how can i lower them - i'll have in mind.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Fair enough.
A couple of November's ago, I flew SQ FRA-JFK (connecting onwards to Mexico via a stop in Washington) and came back doing Mexico-IAH-DME_DME-LHR.

It worked out well, but time and temperature changes were difficult to adjust to!
SQ J is a good product - better than Swiss J in my opinion, and I do like Swiss. There is much more space at the seat and Swiss only give you paper salt and pepper...you get real crockery shakers on SQ!

DME-IAH is much longer than JFK-FRA so you get more of the experience, but it is a B777 rather than a A380.

No advice on avoiding fuel surcharges as being Europe based I'm used to paying them. The only routings I could suggest for that would be from Brazil (SQ's GRU-BCN) would help, but that's a long way from North America and not exactly close to Caracas either.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 3:38 pm

After Nov 24, does Aegean redemption flight count as a retain tier or not ?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by IBstudent
After Nov 24, does Aegean redemption flight count as a retain tier or not ?
No, why should they count?

Mileage tickets (almost) never count for a status qualification... Only Programme I know that does (or did) that is QF...

Last edited by Air Rarotonga; Oct 11, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.