Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 1999, 10:37 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Why cats are better than dogs...

Investigators look seriously at dog-bites-plane incident

August 5, 1999

BOSTON (AP) -- Dog bites man is
commonplace. Man bites dog, a little weird. But dog bites plane?

Authorities at Logan Airport said an Irish
wolfhound freed itself from a kennel during a
United Airlines flight to San Francisco and
chewed up the cargo area.

The dog, whose name was not released, managed to gnaw into wires for the Boeing 767's
landing gear, its cockpit warning lights and others that slowed the plane upon landing by
extending its wing flaps.

Airline officials said the pilot was able to land the plane safely in San Francisco, albeit at a slightly faster speed than normal because of the impaired flaps. The July 24 flight was carrying 159 passengers and a crew of nine.

Federal Aviation Administration officials say dogs have damaged airplanes before, but this is the first time a dog is believed to have caused service difficulties for a plane.

The airline is still investigating how the dog got loose. Luggage handlers reported that when they opened the cargo door, they found the dog wagging his tail, apparently eager to disembark.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: The Airline Mileage Workshop

Old Aug 6, 1999, 6:08 am

Saw this on the 6:00 news last night. Just a little curious that it happened on 7/24 but didn't make it to the news until 8/5.
Old Aug 6, 1999, 6:59 am
Commander Catcop

As the title suggests.... now my cats Yaz and Eddie would never act up on an airline. They are angels!

I guess maybe the dog wanted to fly Continental or United instead.
Old Aug 6, 1999, 7:57 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Think this occurred on UA Catman! Upgrade next time?
Old Aug 6, 1999, 10:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Cats do not have to go along witn you. They stay home perfectly content, eat a little, drink a little and sleep alot.

Dogs need to go to the kennel, go with you, go with a sitter, or go all over while you are gone!!!!
Old Aug 6, 1999, 4:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Recall that cat that gained it's freedom in the hold of a flight from mainland to PIPville? It made at least two round trips
before being found. My guess is it was one of Catman's friends trying to add to ff miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.