Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does free upgrade to First Class affect FF mileage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 1999, 6:34 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I volunteered to bump myself from a full flight, and Delta gave me a First Class seat on the next flight (only 2 hours later), and $150 credit on my next flight. I wonder if this First Class seat counts differently under Delta's SkyMiles program, and if I am entitled to a mileage bonus? I am not an elite member (yet), but I do get the thrill of the hunt squeezing every last drop of value from these business trips.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 25, 1999, 6:47 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in MUNICH, BAVARIA
In my experience, no. The 1st class bonus is ONLY given if you've paid a 1st class fare. I've been (voluntarily) bumped and upgraded on later flights 3 or 4 times (all on UA) and have never rec'd (or even thought to ask for) 1st class bonus...
Old Jan 25, 1999, 7:00 am
Original Member

When I volunteered last summer, I was also upgraded to First Class on the next flight. I was re-booked in "A" class.
I was pleasantly surprised when my statement arrived to find the First Class bonus.

Old Jan 25, 1999, 7:04 am
Original Member

You never know what an airline is gonna do. I've been in similar situations myself and have never been awarded bonus mileage for unpaid first class travel...whether it be an upgrade, or a consolation prize for a missed flight. Neither has my wife.

On the other hand, once last year, Northwest once gave me 7,500 miles and a first class seat due to a missed connection due to WEATHER. I know, the miles didn't come from being in first class, but like I said, it just goes to show that very little is etched in stone when it comes to miles.

Old Jan 25, 1999, 7:11 am
Original Member

I think as others have indicated, it depends on the airline and also how the boarding pass was issued.

I have never been in that exact situation, but I have received a number of complimentary upgrades -- at the gate -- from full fare coach to first class. In every occaision, the gate agent gave me a new boarding pass with "F" class, and I DID get the 50% bonus.

Old Jan 25, 1999, 7:42 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Whether or not you get the bonus will most likely depend on what class your ticket is booked in.

Usually first class upgrades are booked in a different class than purchased first class tickets. For instance, on Delta, first class upgrades are G and V class (which actually get shown as the original fare class plus the G or V in some places that can handle two digit fare codes, for instance an H fare that is upgraded to V will be HV). Purchased first class tickets on Delta are A and F on the other hand. It is A and F class that get the bonuses, not the free upgrades.

However, as some people have pointed out, sometimes free upgrades are given using regular first class codes, for whatever reason, and so if you have a fare code showing a paying ticket, you should get the perks of a paying ticket.

Note that this can work in coach too. I was flying ATL-SAN last year on an award ticket, and the flight was cancelled, so I got rebooked on an ATL-SNA flight, and they rebooked me in Y, meaning I got milage and bonusus and credit for the flight (a nice little bonus), and in that case the delay was negligible (maybe 30 minutes extra to get to my final destination).
Old Jan 25, 1999, 9:03 am
Original Member

My experience has been that this will vary with the same airline too; in the past, some upgrades received first-class bonus credit, others did not (these were both upgrades to first using a Mileage Plus award; comped upgrades and upgrades using 500 & 100 mile coupons). Did not see any rhyme or reason to which got the bonus & which didn't but was told by United that none were supposed to get it.

On one past American award flight, I was asked if I wanted to use coupons to upgrade (not supposed to be able to do that) and I said sure. However he rebooked me, I got miles for the free flight and first class bonus..
Old Jan 25, 1999, 1:04 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks for all the answers. In my case, I was fortunate. I just checked my account and have the 50% mileage bonus for First Class. I am impressed because DL credited these flights on the day of flight! Of course, my bonuses for using their site to book the flight is not listed, but hey, I just got home yesterday.
Old Jan 25, 1999, 2:05 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Mister Itchie ~ The bonus for booking over the web usually takes a few days to show up, and you can typically expect your flights to be on the web by the time you land with Delta!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.