Wiki Posts
Search

Need ideas: BOS-MNL-TPE-BOS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 1999, 2:26 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Need ideas: BOS-MNL-TPE-BOS

Need ideas on how to plan this trip: I will be going from Boston - Manila -Taipei - Boston in that order for Chinese New Year in February. I would like to minimize cost (most important) but maximize mileage

Ideas:

Canadian - Flies to all three destinations. I can get a round trip BOS-YVR-MNL and return TPE-YVR-BOS for ~$700 then purchase one way from MNL to TPE for $150-$200. This is both cheap and convenient but has no mileage incentive (unless I get instant elite with American and make sure I book American codeshare?). However, a stopover in Vancouver is allowed which I might do.

UA - Buy round-trip to TPE (~$800) and purchase separate round-trip to Manila (~$300). I can get the most mileage (PremEx on UA) but this would cost more.

NWA - The only domestic airlines that goes to both MNL and TPE. Has mileage bonus to Taipei (3000 in coach) but flight contains too many connections. Not sure about the price of this itinerary.

Cathay Pacific - The Asiapass is cheap ($900) but need to pass by HKG on every routing. No mileage and need to leave from NYC. Not sure if Chinese New Years is blacked out.

IDEAL - UA from Boston to Frankfurt, Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Manila, Thai from Manila to Taipei (via Bangkok), UA from Taipei to Boston (via SFO). But this itinerary sounds $$$. Anybody knows a good consolidator?
Old Jan 7, 1999, 2:45 pm
Original Member

If you still have a student card you could try TravelCuts...
Old Jan 7, 1999, 2:53 pm
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
Watch out for multiple connections on NW. That's the only way anyone has ever managed to lose my luggage.
Old Jan 7, 1999, 3:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Just checked on TISS.COM and found a 500 DM (less than $400 US) fare on UNITED from Frankfurt to Taipei. There was no seat availability on the 4th of Feb. but you might check other dates and find out from the consolidator more about that fare. You can easily get cheap flights to Frankfurt if you can figure out how to wangle this one. I don't know what the routing would be or how much you would be on United but at this rate and given your willingness to punish yourself for miles, give it a try! Don't be surprised if they are all sold out at this price.
Old Jan 7, 1999, 3:06 pm
Original Member

The fare wasoffered by AIR TRAVEL SERVICE (ATS)

Old Jan 7, 1999, 3:40 pm
Original Member

ATS IS AT THIS WEBSITE (FARE WAS LOCATED AT WWW.TISS.COM, however): http://www.1airtravel.com

I was thinking about this and while it may be a bait and switch, I have found these sites to be pretty reliable. It may be a trip from Frankfurt to US to Taipei, all on United--you can really rack up the miles for cheap. I found a similar thing on Air New Zealand in that it was significantly cheaper from Europe through the US to New Zealand and Australia than if I had booked it directly from US to New Zealand! It seems they are promoting taking the long way home!
Old Jan 8, 1999, 7:25 am
Original Member

CAREFUL!!! Make sure you are getting miles for the fare. Check the fare basis before you do anything. Would be a shame to get -no- miles for a hugely long trip.
Old Jan 8, 1999, 8:00 am
Original Member

We have had this discussion elsewhere. I don't think Lufthansa allows miles on consolidator fares but other airlines do and have. My mother and brother fly regularly on consolidator fares with Air Canada and Canadian and get their full miles!

Ask what fare class it is being booked in and then phone the airline to check though. Even United's e-fares are eligible for miles and they are some of the cheapest around.
Old Jan 8, 1999, 8:17 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
LH changed their rules this october to the better. Now only governement & travel-agenciy fares are excluded.
Old Jan 8, 1999, 12:12 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

The LH itinerary did not work out. The FRA-TPE trip (codeshare as UA) is sold out at $360 USD at ATS. Would have loved a BOS-FRA-TPE/MNL itinerary, though.

Now checking UA RT BOS-TPE and a separate RT TPE-MNL. Called UA this morning to see if I can use 20K miles for a TPE-MNL RT, turns out such a trip would be 85K on Thai!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.