Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TWA Cancels Routes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2000, 8:04 am
Original Poster

TWA Cancels Routes

TWA, as of November 30, 2000 has cancelled all its flights into and out of West Palm Beach Florida.

According to their spokespersone, Chris Kelly, other routes that are not profitable will also be cancelled in the near future.

Regarding Aviator members saving mileage for those destinations on the cancelled list, Ms Kelly said there is nothing TWA will do for these flyers.
Old Sep 11, 2000, 8:10 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum49/HTML/000204.html
Old Sep 11, 2000, 2:59 pm

Wouldn't TWA fliers be able to get there via America West?

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Sep 11, 2000, 3:09 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Jon Toner writes:
Wouldn't TWA fliers be able to get there via America West?

In theory, maybe.

Old Sep 11, 2000, 3:21 pm
Original Member

Maybe in theory, In practice America west
doesn't fly to West palm beach.
Old Sep 11, 2000, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
TWA is also sending travel agents debit memos (ie, for a refund of paid commission) on routes that TW has cancelled. Further TW is not accomodating these pax on any other airline. Sorry, flight cancelled. Here's your $ back. Bye.
Old Sep 11, 2000, 5:20 pm

The "teeny weenie airline" is getting smaller as we speak.
Old Sep 11, 2000, 6:47 pm

I thought CO has routes to west palm, I was there couple of years ago. CO and TW are not partners i guess? I was in STL in July and those locals are very proud of their hometown airlines. I have never seen so many TW aircrafts in my life!

Old Sep 11, 2000, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by afang:
I thought CO has routes to west palm, I was there couple of years ago. CO and TW are not partners i guess? I was in STL in July and those locals are very proud of their hometown airlines. I have never seen so many TW aircrafts in my life!

As far as I know, for the New York Area, the only established carriers that fly to WPB are Delta, USAIR and North West. None have affordable flights during the holidays at this late date.

CO and American West do not fly to WPB from either Laguardia or Kennedy.
Old Sep 11, 2000, 10:05 pm
Original Member

Co had routes from iah,cle,ewr to pbi.

And I think with TWA dropping out, no major airline will be flying jfk-pbi nonstop.

as for afforable flight, it depends on your definition. CO has plenty of seats available at $699 rt
Old Sep 11, 2000, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

United flies non-stop to PBL direct .. from Chicago at least. I found out in a humorous way for a FF'er.

For International fares UA groups West Palm Beach,(PBL) Miami (MIA) and Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood (FLL) as simply "MIAMI. All are like DCA/IAD/BWI or SFO/OAK/SJC or LAX/ONT/BUR/SNA all "one" city according to UA.

You can fly into one and out of the others if required and UA still call them "Miami".

I am flying to Chile at Xmas.

UA has direct flights "Miami" MIA-SCL.

If I fly into PBL and then want to fly on to Miami, what do you think UA does?

Put me on a shuttle bus or taxi to MIA airport?? Heck no. That is far too simple.

They fly me back 3 hours to ORD and THEN 3 hours back ORD-MIA after goodness knows what layover time at ORD, back to MIA. Total 2300 extra miles for a bus transfer that might cost them .. what 30 bucks?

So If I start a MIA-SCL flight from PBL I am 2,300 miles (and with UA I get TRIPLE points until December 31 = 6900 points) in front if I commence it at PBL.

Weird but true. And if I ticket PBL-SCL-PBL, they gotta do another 6900 miles(13,800) to get me back to PBL! And this on top of the long 8½ hour flight MIA-SCL-MIA. 8234 miles for that = 24,702 extra UA points = 31,671 UA points in total.

All for a pretty cheap MIA-SCL r/t fare.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Sep 12, 2000, 6:10 am

Now, now, Boomer, I just booked 2 RTs EWR-PBI for $180 each in January. Not cheap, but not too bad. I don't think I'd care to try my luck mid-November to New Years, though.

And Glen, I think you'd be a bit startled to find yourself in PBL (Puerto Cabello, Venezuela) rather than PBI (West Palm Beach, Florida). Bit of an overshoot or a bit short, depending on which direction you're coming from.

Old Sep 12, 2000, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Kitty Hawk ...

Either the writing on the UA paper timetable is getting even smaller (is that POSSIBLE!) or my eyes are getting worse. Or both! Thanks. The deal is still bizarre.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Sep 12, 2000, 7:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Oh Boy! Less competition = higher prices!
Old Sep 12, 2000, 10:44 am
Suspended

As I posted in the TW thread, JetBlue will be starting service from JFK-PBI(I think its Oct or Nov) at $79 each way,so although they serve only a few cities they will probably conect there via JFK,so the fares should remain pretty much as is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.