Wiki Posts
Search

Where is Merry Flyer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 1998, 4:53 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Where is Merry Flyer

Has anyone seen Merry Flyer since his post about quitting his job? (a cry for help, if ever there was one)

I worry that he's thrown his computer out the window, chained himself to his desk (bolted to the floor of course), & hidden under it, refusing to speak to anyone or come out, lest they frog march him onto an aeroplane.

Or perhaps he's just travelling on business...
Old Oct 22, 1998, 8:39 pm
Original Member

Didn't the MFlyer mention a trip this week? I am not sure but I think all the problems with reservations were for this trip. Didn't
know Human Resources people quit, I always thought they just gave everyone else their
pink slips.
Old Oct 23, 1998, 11:41 am
Original Member

Location: London,UK. Ok, about 100 miles from London really, but how many Americans know where Market Harborough is?
Hi, oh it is so nice to be missed!!

I have been 'off-line' this week, I had my usual trip to Houston (from Gatwick) on Sunday night, but I got a call on Sunday morning which meant I had to go to Nigeria for Wednesday evening.

As those of you who have been to Lagos ("the arm-pits of the earth") will know, you are highly unlikely to get your luggage back, so I certainly don't take my lap-top.

I took my 'Windows CE' machine with me because it is really small, but for some reason it wouldn't let me access 'flyer-talk'.

I am busy cathching up with all your latest comments and developments, I really missed not being able to catch-up with Rudi & Catman after their AGM (Annual General Meeting).

As far as work goes, I feel a little bit happier this week. I had a weeks rest last week and that made me feel all the better.

Anyway, I must get busy giving my input into all those topics you have been discussing whilst I have been out of touch.

Again, thanks for your interest.
MF

PS: In case anyone is interested (ie. you listen to my constant drivel) I have booked my weekly flight to/from Houston with British Airways until 18th December.

But I have also taken Catman's advice and asked CO and UA to donate my miles to a charity - as I am not really clued-up on US charities I have left it to the airlines discretion.

Old Oct 23, 1998, 11:50 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Glad to have you back, MF, and you are too kind to Lagos! (BA recently started flying in there again, didn't they? - earlier this year a colleague of mine who had never set foot on African soil before had to fly in to Ghana & make his own way to Lagos & Kano. Quite the adventure. I had a good laugh...)

If in doubt about US charities - children, cancer etc are always worthy causes, and in North America the United Way is an umbrella organisation that does a lot for an incredibly wide variety of charities.
Old Oct 23, 1998, 11:59 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
glad to have you back

in the meantime I tried to comfort baobab about your absence (trough email).
Old Oct 23, 1998, 12:08 pm
Original Member

on the weekend 7-8-nov I will be in London: pub-crawling and a Saturday-night-show/theatre (but that's in the hands of my wife) and may be a soccer-game on Saturday afternoon: in 1963, as a student trainee in London, I was a Queens Park Ranger-fan while they were only playing 3rd division).

We booked BA (I am not a frequent flier with them, nor with AA and I will propbably not use them to often also in the future) - may be BA has some promotional miles for you if you introduce me and I make a flight in the next three months?
Old Oct 23, 1998, 12:36 pm
Original Member

Location: London,UK. Ok, about 100 miles from London really, but how many Americans know where Market Harborough is?
Rudi, e-mail me with your flight details and I will get BA to roll-out the "Blue Carpet" for you.

If you are in Euro-Traveller, the very least I can do for you is ask them to upgrade you and your good wife to Club Europe.

I'm affraid QPR are a bit of a spent force, but I hope you enjoy the footy. Personally I would do the pub-crawl (is that classed as a business trip for you?).

Soho is great now! Fantastic pubs as always and very cosmopolitan.

For hotels I recommend, Blake's (very trendy media types); Churchill's (very un-trendy cigar smoking, expense account types); Le Meridian Picadilly (forget the French it is full of Russians swigging bottles of lager now - and that is just the women).

Cheaper but good fun... I like the Cumberland, good location, great Cantonese restaurant, a bit like a Youth Hostel though; The Waldorf, classic style (now out-dated) loads of great silver-wear you can pinch [sorry, take as a souvenier], order room-service every day and take a full dinner-service home with you), they don't count the robes!
MF

Old Oct 23, 1998, 12:38 pm
Original Member

thanks merry flyer - I will email our BA flights

the hotels will be reserved by British Newcastle (and Fosters) - yes I can "book it" somehow under business.

I hope the swiss taxinvestigators don't surf here.
Old Oct 23, 1998, 12:58 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

MerryFlyer,

Sigh....I'm jealous. In the next three weeks, I will be flying to Spokane for two days, San Jose (Milpitas, Calif) for three days, Denver for five days (okay, this trip isn't so bad as I will be spending the weekend at Beaver Creek), back another two days in Spokane and then American Thanksgiving holiday weekend in Phoenix visiting family.

Oh boy. The farthest journey is 1600 km from home. I would love to have a position that required me to have additional pages added to my passport.

*note: I used km which stands for kilomenters as I was afraid the European readers might not fathom what a mile is.

**additional note: this is sarcasm as I think any resonably intelligent American knows that a lift is an elevator.
Old Oct 23, 1998, 1:05 pm
Original Member

hey hey - we (europeans) even know about that mile high city (and stadium) etc. etc.

ohhhh: is it british- or american- sea- or landmiles?
Old Oct 23, 1998, 1:06 pm
Original Member

MileageAddict,

Additional pages in passports?

A) Please refer to my previous moans about having to travel!

B) get yourself a second/third/forth passport! How do you manage when a passport is away for visa's without additional passports?

My motto...

"Four passports, don't leave home without them".

C) I think Rudi may be upset. It is only in the UK (and ex-colonies) that we use miles)!

But seriously, a trip is only as much fun as you make it. Enjoy wherever you go!
MF

Old Oct 23, 1998, 1:10 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

MA - the US-only flights may seem boring, but going to a far-off country on business is definitely NOT a holiday - Lagos (for any reason) & (doing business in) Russia??? No thank you! (Houston's okay, I guess, as you can get Blue Bell there)

In the space of 6 months I used up 25 passport pages, & had to start telling my boss that I would only go to countries I already held visas for, as my new passport was taking a while to work its way through the system. Try telling a immigration agent who (deliberately) doesn't speak English that the Post-It note over the sole remaining blank page in your passport is there for a reason (I was saving it for the US visa allowing me to live here)

Short trips are okay (eg jetting around Europe), but when you start spending more nights aboard aircraft than in bed it gets a little wearying - MF flies across the Atlantic twice a week ALL THE TIME. Imagine the jetlag!

The only advantage I can think of is all the duty free alcohol - and you can have too much of even that after a while: there's only so much Scotch you can consume/give away.
Old Oct 23, 1998, 1:11 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Not every country is as understanding as the UK in granting multiple passports, MF.
Old Oct 23, 1998, 1:15 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

That should have read '3 months' - & those pages are completely blackened from being stamped & restamped. Eventually some countries stopped bothering... (the Swiss were nice, Rudi)

I still travel with two 50 page passports stuck together, as I have all my visas in one & space in the other!
Old Oct 23, 1998, 1:22 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Granted, I would not want to commute between the US and Europe every week but once a month would make me happy. Call me mentally ill but I would relish the idea of visiting Lagos, Nigeria once. I must emphasize once. Although, I imagine that being in the oil industry and visiting Nigeria this week after the disaster is not much fun.

I should not complain. I live in an area of the US that is considered beautiful and I have a view of the Cascade mountains from the front of my home and a forest of evergreen trees out the back. No matter how much I love to travel, there's no better feeling than slipping between the sheets of your own bed after a week away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.