Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to spend mypoints?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2002, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Location: Home=ATL; AAdvantage Platinum & 1MM; SkyMiles Gold Medallion
Best way to spend mypoints?

Since I started with mypoints in 1999, I have almost reached 15,000. I want to spend it in the next few months, in case the company goes under, etc.

However, they have som many ways to spend points, that I'm not sure what is the best way to do it. It seems the higher the amount of points spent, the better ther value.

If anyone has done the math, what is the best way to spend 15,000 points? Hey, thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2002, 10:39 am

I have gotten a flight ticket from them before but that was before they changed the amount of points upward for that award. They do give FF miles for the flight but that cost more than 15k.

I turn 1k points into Hilton HHonors points as soon as I turn 1k points...That way I don't worry about it...keeps it simple.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I also churn Mypoints into HH. I looked at posting to MR, but ratio not 1:1 like it is to HH. Was impressed with the relative speed for converting from Mypoints to HH, as is usually within a week.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Plat thanks to FT; Hilton Silver VIP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by silkworm:
Since I started with mypoints in 1999,</font>
According to their Terms, points can expire 18 months after being earned if not spent. I'm not sure how diligent they are about this, but you might not want to hold on to all of them for too much longer.

As for HHonors, it seems to be one of the pricier per point means of redeeming points. For 10,000 Mypoints (=10,000 HHonor points, you can only redeem in lots of 10k, 20k, or 50k for miles) you can get 1500 miles on most airlines, or 2000 on American. Assuming you could get $75 in GC for 10,000 miles (which you can, or better if you get Barnes and Nobles or Macy's gcs ) That's about $0.05 per mile, not so great. You'd do better getting gift certificates or even web certificates (which you can use just like a credit card online).

Of course, it all depends on what you're likely to spend those HHonors points on. But shop around a bit - there are some better point bargains on mypoints if you just compare some of the prizes.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
You may want to check the S.P.A.M. forum, as there are literally hundreds of MyPoints threads there.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
You can get $110 worth of Starbucks.
Old Nov 24, 2002, 9:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gleff:
You can get $110 worth of Starbucks.</font>
I'd stay outta silkworm's way on that day!
Old Nov 24, 2002, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I originally was going to use them for HHonors points, but I have about a two-year backlog of Hilton points as it is... I'm going to use my points for a mix of gift certificates. The redemption rate ends up being somewhere between 3/4 and 5/6 of a cent, which is not fantastic but given that most of these points are from either reading email or buying stuff I'd buy anyway, I'll take it.
Old Nov 24, 2002, 11:09 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
Try Starbucks!

Good Luck!
Old Nov 24, 2002, 3:47 pm

Without a doubt using mypoints for Hilton is a waste of money. You can redeem for a multitude of Gift Certs.

For example 1,400 MyPoints = $10 in gas

So a for instance is this:
10,000 Mypoints = 10,000 Hilton points
10,000 Mypoints = $70 in gas

It takes 30k Hilton Points to stay at a 200 a night hotel. If you were to spend the Mypoints on gas and buy the hotel room, you would earn hilton points for your stay.

Do even ask about exchanging hilton pts to airline miles...the value gets worse.
example
10,000 Mypoints = 10k Hilton = 2,000 AA

would you take $70 in gas or 2,000 AA miles ?
....easy answer there

My humble opinion.
Old Nov 24, 2002, 7:59 pm
Original Member

I redeem mine for Alaska Airlines miles. That airline can get you to most anywhere via partners. For another super way to get lots of Alaska miles cheap, search this forum and S.P.A.M. (inappropriately named, I think) on "Alaska".

Since I am now getting so many miles on Alaska these days, I am now considering getting free ARCO gasoline from MyPoints instead.
Old Nov 24, 2002, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Location: Home=ATL; AAdvantage Platinum & 1MM; SkyMiles Gold Medallion
Thank you all for your advice... Sorry to the HH freaks out there, but it does make more sense to cash in points for certificates. Macy's seems to give a good conversion of points to dollars. Also, no way I'm going to drink all that coffee!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.