Wiki Posts
Search

My Meeting with Rudi

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 1998, 12:53 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

My Meeting with Rudi

To all the regulars on this board I express my admiration. I've enjoyed reading about your exploits and have learned much from your tips. Heretofore I've been quite simply too intimidated to venture a post myself. Although my wife and I have cashed in frequent flyer miles for tickets several times, we have never been able to fly enough to reach any sort of high status with an airline.

Over the weekend, however, I was fortunate to meet and visit with one of the superstars of this board, Rudi. He extracted a promise from me that I would venture my first posting as a result, and this is it. Here's how this transpired.

My wife and I stay regularly at the San Francisco Airport Marriott and were there this past weekend. I realized that Rudi's beloved San Francisco 49ers were in town and decided to ask if Rudi were scheduled to be a guest of the hotel. When I was told he would be staying there, I left a message for him and he graciously responded.

My wife and I wound up meeting Rudi and his wife, plus two other members of his family. We visited for a few minutes on Saturday evening and then met for breakfast on Sunday. Rudi is everything he appears to be on this board. He's an extremely accomplished and witty individual; any of you who have the opportunity to meet him will have an immensely pleasurable experience.

Rudi: I hope all continues to go well with your trip. Go 'niners.
Old Nov 24, 1998, 12:56 pm
Original Member

Welcome to the board, TravelDave - we look forward to many more postings from you.

To all you others lurking out there, too intimidated to talk - DIVE IN - it isn't that frightening, & though we may bark, we don't bite (as long as you acknowledge that BA is simply the best...)
Old Nov 24, 1998, 1:11 pm
Original Member

Welcome TravelDave, Probably a relation to SuperDave and we expect that you will post some super items here. If your future postings are like your first one, we will be totally overwhelmed with your kindness and knowledge. And as far as "baobab" is concerned, the acronym stands for "british airways on board and babbling".
Old Nov 24, 1998, 2:17 pm
Commander Catcop

TravelDave (and ANYONE ELSE SCARED TO POST SOMETHING!(... you not fear anything, especially a bunch of people interested in
getting the most out of their travel dollar.
(And for some of us like me... maybe even making a friend or two along the way.) We
are mostly not a critical or malicious (SP?)
bunch like other web sites I've seen before
coming here.

The important thing is that you and many others have received help, whether its from Randy Petersen or the Inside Flyer Staff or the folks on FlyerTalk from Aubie to TropicalFlyer.

Personally, I was very intimidated about posting stuff here when I got aboard in April. I thought I would laughed off the boards if I posted something stupid. Then I got braver and started the CAT reference. Nearly 1000 postings later, I've made more
friends here than in four years of High School.

So if you have tips, questions, suggestions,
comments... go ahead and post them. You might find some folks think the way you do.

ONE PIECE OF ADVICE FROM THE POLICE CAT: PLEASE MAKE YOUR ENTRIES WITH CORRECT SPELLING, GRAMMAR, ETC. IT'S SAD WHEN RUDI'S
SWISS POSTINGS MAKE MORE SENSE TO ME THAN
SOME OF THE ENGLISH ONES ON HERE! CATMAN

Old Nov 24, 1998, 3:14 pm
Original Member

Jaws - you finally figured it out!! (Who said anything about weird-looking african trees??)

Catman - only 3 posts to go, & then it's the magic numero 1000! Are your cats getting nervous?
Old Nov 24, 1998, 3:22 pm
Commander Catcop

BaoBab... Sir Edwin is indifferent, Yaz has advertising for a new owner...

And some of the members of my original "Inner
Circle" want me committed. I told them ok
as long as I can get Hotel points and airline miles!!! CATMAN
Old Nov 24, 1998, 7:01 pm
Original Member

TravelDave, Are you related to Rudi? Even Catman did not have that many nice things to say about him.
Old Nov 24, 1998, 7:06 pm
Original Member

You are lucky you got to meet Rudi. I have been trying to meet him, but my schedule has been to unpredictable. Sounds like a great meeting Dave.

Phil
Old Nov 24, 1998, 7:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Welcome TravelDave! As others have said, your posts are always welcome. I've said some pretty dumb things from time to time and no one ever takes me to task -- this board has two main purposes for me:

to learn more about ff programs (programmes for our int'l set!) and...

to have fun.

Both purposes well served...

And if no one has done this yet, please accept our invitation to the Party in Paradise -- it will be a blast!!!!!!
Old Nov 25, 1998, 9:29 am
Original Member

Rudi/idur: Are you sure you're not posting under the name "TravelDave?"
Old Nov 25, 1998, 9:32 am
Original Member

All: I wrote that before I saw Jaws 43's comment.
Old Nov 25, 1998, 10:28 am
Original Member

Jaws & philforest - you have obviously never enjoyed Rudi's offerings of Swiss chocolates. I assure you, he enslaves others with them.
Old Nov 25, 1998, 12:16 pm
Original Member

I second that, baobab
Old Nov 25, 1998, 12:16 pm
Original Member

I second that, baobab
Old Nov 25, 1998, 1:23 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

To jaws43 and philforest: I'm shocked, SHOCKED at your insinuation. (pause...pause) Sorry, I had to swallow the last bite of Swiss chocolate. Enslaved or not, it was just plain fun to meet Rudi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.