Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do in JFK for a long layover.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2004, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

What to do in JFK for a long layover.

On Friday March 19 I am flying SFO/JFK/BRU and there is a 3 and 1/2 hour layover. Suggestions for what do do there besides sit in the lounge and/or eat dinner?
Old Mar 12, 2004, 2:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Personally I would go into Queens for a nice dinner. I'd take the new Airtrain to the E station in Jamica and then go to 71st Street/Continental Avenue/Forest Hills. There on Queens Blvd are a whole bunch of places to eat including some good Italian on 75th Street called "The Family." Other then a good meal and lounging I don't know if there is anything that you CAN do.

------------------
DC-10's Forever!
"This is the weirdest Routing I've seen in all my 16 years"
-LGA Check in Agent upon seeing LGA-BOS-JFK-LAX
Old Mar 12, 2004, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
You could take a ride on JFK's new Airtrain,
it runs above the airport terminals and as long you don't exit the station at Jamaica or Howard Beach, it doesn't cost anything. You could probably do a complete loop on the system in 45minutes or less. The interior loop around the airport would take much less time. On a nice day, late in the afternoon it should be an ineteresting ride.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 3:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dlflyer2:
You could take a ride on JFK's new Airtrain, it runs above the airport terminals and as long you don't exit the station at Jamaica or Howard Beach, it doesn't cost anything.....On a nice day, late in the afternoon it should be an ineteresting ride. </font>
I totally agree with this. I was extremely impressed by the Airtrain when I rode it last weekend. The train itself seems much wider than the subway or LIRR, but maybe that's just because of the setup. It moves along pretty darn fast too. One thing I noticed, however, is that the fabric seats are already looking a bit stained.

You can also do the loop of the terminals, and as the terminal 4 station is inside the terminal easily get out there to walk around. I believe there is a better food court over there. Look here for more info http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jfkshopsframe.htm

Old Mar 12, 2004, 3:20 pm

Buzz?
Old Mar 12, 2004, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
You may want to check out the old TWA terminal. I believe that Jetblue bought it and was planning on opening part of it as a working museum of sorts. I'm not sure if that's happened yet, though.

I would certainly suggest the restaurant advice above over purchasing anything described as "food" at the airport.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
As this question really has little to do with frequent flyer miles, I am going to move the post over to the TravelBuzz forum.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz and Delta moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.