Wiki Posts
Search

Gatwick South evacuated - 9th May

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2024, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Gatwick South evacuated - 9th May

I got caught in this mess about an hour or so ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cxe94dzj5nko

A fire alarm was set off and the terminal was evacuated. We somehow ended up getting guided towards immigration passport control. The staff there had no idea about a fire alarm and we had now mixed with arrivals. We were then told to make our way backwards against the arrivals and through a separate fire escape (as other arriving pax just went through passport control). We were then held in an outdoor evacuation point for 45mins. It turns out some of the arrivals had followed us so there was a group of mixed departures and arrivals pax outside. Eventually we got let back directly to departures without re-clearing security. Bit of a mess and I'm pretty sure we should have gone through security again since we mixed but I'm not complaining! On my flight now...

Anyone else got caught in this?
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Wow, that is one hell of a mess up by the airport / border team!!
Old May 9, 2024, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
I've seen a few examples over the years of security cleared and uncleared people being allowed to mix - a couple of times when airport toilets have been out of order and pax have been directed through 'no entry' channels to use facilities and then return.
Doesn't take much for these carefully segregated systems to fail in exceptional but foreseeable circumstances that should have been better planned.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 6:11 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
I would expect Gatwick will want to learn from this event. If I were the OP I would put the info in their post in an email to the airport, as understanding what happened post these kind of events can be quite difficult.
Saligo and LCSinTexas like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 10:21 am

Purely out of interest, was it a full alarm or intermittent in your area?

This link shows the fire assembly points for both terminals. Typically the area required to be evacuated would have continuous bells and an automated message (or at least it used to) and the safe areas had intermittent alarms.

LGW fire assembly points

I'm guessing you were in either the departure lounge or down Pier 2 when the evacuation commenced?
Old May 9, 2024, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lcylocal
I would expect Gatwick will want to learn from this event. If I were the OP I would put the info in their post in an email to the airport, as understanding what happened post these kind of events can be quite difficult.
Good shout, I'll get around to this when I get to my final destination.

Originally Posted by Sigwx
Purely out of interest, was it a full alarm or intermittent in your area?

This link shows the fire assembly points for both terminals. Typically the area required to be evacuated would have continuous bells and an automated message (or at least it used to) and the safe areas had intermittent alarms.

LGW fire assembly points

I'm guessing you were in either the departure lounge or down Pier 2 when the evacuation commenced?
The alarm was alternating between a ringing alarm sound and an announcement saying "attention, attention, the fire alarm has been activated, evacuate the area immediately".

I was in the lounge when it started and it was ringing in the main departures hall too. After being taken to passport control (where it wasn't ringing), we were walked back and ended up at Assembly Point 3 until they let us back in near gate 5.
lcylocal likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 1:33 pm

UK = country with the most sensitive fire alarms on earth.
alvinlwh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.