Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Would Closing Wyndham Credit Card forfeit Points Balance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

My 1 year is up and wanted to close but still have 60K points. If I close the credit card, will I lose the points? I know this is not the SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson, IHG etc.

I'm asking to 100% confirm as I dont see any language on wyndham site. Let me know guys.

Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by ddavid1101
My 1 year is up and wanted to close but still have 60K points. If I close the credit card, will I lose the points? I know this is not the SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson, IHG etc.

I'm asking to 100% confirm as I dont see any language on wyndham site. Let me know guys.

Thanks!
You won't lose the points, I closed my last 45K late in 2015 and still had 25xx points.

I got a new 45K card a couple months ago and those 25xx points were still in my account.

BTW, some of the Wyndham cards have 15K points every year for renewing, well worth the $69.

My wifes card renews this month ( first renewal so she applied around the time you did) and she gets 15K points for renewing, you should send Barclay a PM and ask
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512
You won't lose the points, I closed my last 45K late in 2015 and still had 25xx points.

I got a new 45K card a couple months ago and those 25xx points were still in my account.

BTW, some of the Wyndham cards have 15K points every year for renewing, well worth the $69.

My wifes card renews this month ( first renewal so she applied around the time you did) and she gets 15K points for renewing, you should send Barclay a PM and ask
Both mine and my wife's cards have a 6K renewal benefit. I wish we had 15K renewal.

based on your applications, does that mean barcap and wyndham specifically is churnable?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:00 pm

Both mine and my wife's cards have a 6K renewal benefit. I wish we had 15K renewal.

based on your applications, does that mean barcap and wyndham specifically is churnable?

I have had multiple 45 K Wyndham and Arrival cards
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!
You won't lose any points already in your WyndhamRewards account.

The only points you would lose is if you did spend "too soon" before cancelling the card and those points from that spend hadn't posted yet at the time you cancel the card. Or if there was some bonus you had earned on the card that hadn't posted yet at the time you cancel the card.

So any points that still have not posted to WyndhamRewards you lose, any points that have already posted to WyndhamRewards you don't lose.

And that's the way it works with every airline and hotel card I've ever heard of, at least if you only do it once. Some programs may wipe your whole points/miles account out if you try to apply and cancel and apply and cancel and apply and cancel and apply and cancel for the program's credit card over and over and over and over again and yet earn that program's points/miles no other way. I've not yet heard of a hotel doing that; Alaska Airlines does appear to have done it some cases of extreme "abusers" (from the company's viewpoint):

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 24, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.