Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Have 8k points, best way to get a certain hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Hello, I have 8k points in Wyndham rewards and really want a hotel due to its location that is 15k points for a single night (Wyndham Beacon Hill, Boston MA.) I have 8041 points, and I looked at buying points but it seemed I could only buy 5000 points max for $55?

Any tips/tricks/info on getting the 7k points? Will it allow me to purchase 5k points, then another 2k points or is the max an account can buy in a certain period 5k?

There is no 3000 points + cash option, would calling possibly get a deal like this?

Thanks.

EDIT: Found that I can only buy 5k points annually: A combined maximum of 5,000 Wyndham Rewards Points can be purchased and received in a single calendar year.

Last edited by SWAGGA; Jan 5, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:17 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA
Well, buy 5,000 points (too bad you didn't do this a few days ago and then again in the new year). Then stay at another Wyndham property beforehand. You'll get at least 1,000 points for a night, and you might be able to book one of the 1,000 extra bonus points bookings.

I really doubt they'd give you the go fast award if you called. But keep checking back, maybe they'll add it as an option to the night you want.

It's a new hotel in a great location to see Boston. Fingers crossed for you!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GretelNick
Well, buy 5,000 points (too bad you didn't do this a few days ago and then again in the new year). Then stay at another Wyndham property beforehand. You'll get at least 1,000 points for a night, and you might be able to book one of the 1,000 extra bonus points bookings.

I really doubt they'd give you the go fast award if you called. But keep checking back, maybe they'll add it as an option to the night you want.

It's a new hotel in a great location to see Boston. Fingers crossed for you!
Yup, stayed there in 2014 for a Bruins game, love the location. Couldn't work out the points, so I am staying in the Westin off of SPG points, T or Uber it is!

My wyndham points are set to expire in april I believe if no activity... at this point I don't foresee any. If it gets near that time, can I gift them to someone?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by GretelNick
Sorry that I'm late to the party here. But yes, rate description "BEST RATE PLUS 1000 PTS" (available Sunday through Thursday nights at some properties) provides 2,000 points total even though on the reservation page it will state less than that. I recently booked this rate for a Sunday night ($59.99 + tax) and my reservation stated "As a valued member, you could earn up to 1,600 Wyndham Rewards when you book this qualified rate." I actually received 600 base points for the stay, plus 400 "go get 'em! award " points (since for every qualified stay, you'll earn 10 POINTS per dollar or 1,000 POINTS, whichever is more), plus 1,000 "Best Available Rate + Bonus Points" points.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: Southwest, American, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold, BW Diamond, Choice Platinum, SPG, Wyndham Gold
Lightbulb

SWAGGA

Gretelnick's idea is a valid one for you. Book the cheapest thing you can find with a +1,000 point rate and then buy the 5,000 points. If you really want to use it for that redemption and the cost is worth it. Not sure what date you are looking at but I plugged in a random date and it was $169 for a Friday night, $193 all in.

Points would be $55. So cost would be $55 + cheapest room you can find at +1k rate, maybe $50? + existing points. So $105+ 8,000 points. (193-105=$88/8000 points = 1.1 cents per point) Not a great redemption value, but not HORRIBLE since you DO still have a night you are paying for somewhere else you might be able to take advantage of? The numbers here assume you are ONLY booking it to get the points, hopefully not though.

Option B, if you are NOT going to do this, and you are NOT going to have a paid stay before your points expire...Maybe once again 1) do the cheapest stay you can find, the seriously cheapest rate, you aren't going to stay there anyway most likely, it will probably be bad enough of a place you don't WANT to!! (or spend a few bucks more for someplace you WILL stay) 2) change your account to earning AA miles and 3) pick up 3,000 AA miles bonus, plus 100 or so for the base rate, and stretch out the expiration of the points you have.

Just ideas for you. Good Luck!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by SWAGGA
EDIT: Found that I can only buy 5k points annually: A combined maximum of 5,000 Wyndham Rewards Points can be purchased and received in a single calendar year.
Last year, I had purchased 5k points prior to 5/11/15 (date of WR program changes) and also received a 5k point gift from my wife after 5/11/15. Possibly the T&C rules around this were different prior to 5/11 and I was grandfathered in, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by Dadofsix; Jan 7, 2016 at 11:52 pm
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: Southwest, American, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold, BW Diamond, Choice Platinum, SPG, Wyndham Gold
Not sure either Dadofsix, I haven't done any transfers or purchases, but the rules seem pretty fixed now so I'm going to guess you beat the cut off on that one, and hopefully for good use!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and info. I ended up redeeming SPG points for the night at the Westin, and a colleague who I help with technology gets me hilton rooms often as a gift... he got me the other two nights, so I'm good to go.

Guess I'll be losing the Wyndham points in april due to non activity.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by magnicus
Not sure either Dadofsix, I haven't done any transfers or purchases, but the rules seem pretty fixed now so I'm going to guess you beat the cut off on that one, and hopefully for good use!
Yes, probably so. I used the points last June to save some money at Wyndham Santa Monica at the Pier. I didn't think the property was all that special, but I thought the location was outstanding.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:16 pm

My wyndham points are set to expire in april I believe if no activity... at this point I don't foresee any. If it gets near that time, can I gift them to someone?
Guess I'll be losing the Wyndham points in april due to non activity.
You can't actually transfer WR points to another member (their "gifting" option just basically means buying points for another member), but if you aren't going to have any upcoming activity to keep your points alive longer, Wyndham does have a decent number of non-hotel redemption options (not a ton of airline partners, but I believe most allow redemption transfers of 6k WR points to 1,200 airline FF miles). Not great value, but I guess better than forfeiting your points.

Below is a link to the WR 'Redeem' page:
https://www.wyndhamrewards.com/trec/...ction?variant=
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dadofsix
You can't actually transfer WR points to another member (their "gifting" option just basically means buying points for another member), but if you aren't going to have any upcoming activity to keep your points alive longer, Wyndham does have a decent number of non-hotel redemption options (not a ton of airline partners, but I believe most allow redemption transfers of 6k WR points to 1,200 airline FF miles). Not great value, but I guess better than forfeiting your points.

Below is a link to the WR 'Redeem' page:
https://www.wyndhamrewards.com/trec/...ction?variant=
Thanks!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.