Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Got Wyndham "Gold", 15k points, what to redeem on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

So I reached Wyndham "Gold", which is really nothing, but I got 15k points which has to be used by Apr 2016.

First question, is there anyway to extend the expiration of this 15k points that I got from getting "Gold" status of having 20 nights stay?

If not, does the points need to be redeemed by Apr 2016 (and the stay can be in the future, e.g. Nov 2016), or does the points need to be redeemed AND the stay completed by Apr 2016?

Lastly, any suggestions on where to redeem the one night for? I looked into the Go Fast cash+points, but that's really bad value. The high end properties co-pay is too high, and for the mid-tier properties (about $50 co-pay), I can just manufacture Hilton points and I can get a higher tier Hilton property for the same amount of co-pay in terms of the money I spent for VGC fees.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: United, IHG, Hilton
There are some nice Wyndham Grand properties that can be a good deal for the Go Free rate at 15k/night, especially if you're using them during peak times. There aren't a lot of those properties though, so it depends on where you're traveling. I like the Tremont House in Galveston and the Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront.

Last edited by mnelson; Jan 4, 2016 at 2:23 am Reason: fix formatting
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA
You can't extend the expiration date.

The points need to be redeemed by the expiration date. I've been wondering the same thing about whether you can redeem them for a later date. I think you can (and you can always make a booking and see).

But the danger is that if you end up cancelling after the expiration date, the points won't go back into your account, because they've expired. It's safer to redeem them for a stay within the expiration, so if you have to cancel for some reason, you can still use the points elsewhere before they turn into a pumpkin.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:21 am

Programs: Southwest, American, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold, BW Diamond, Choice Platinum, SPG, Wyndham Gold
GretelNick is correct on this. The safest bet is to use them for redemptions to be consumed before their expiration date. The sooner the better in case you have to reschedule.

My experiences and suggestions for redeeming them are 3 different options.

1) exactly as above, use them for a free night as soon as you can, in the most expensive place you want to go, combined with the rest of your points for a nice 3-7 night stay, all inclusive Viva Wyndhams and Puerto Rico are especially worth looking at, even more so if you aren't travelling alone.

2) I've used the points + cash options most effectively for "events". Game days, concerts, and such. Where the room rates might double or triple but I can still get them for 3,000 points + $55(or whatever) versus $150-250. You can get a 3-5 cent/point value this way pretty easy, and that is the MOST value I think you can normally get, but it's awful hard to come up with 5 nights of special events I can book that way AND I want to go to in that time frame for me....

3) Call and book out further than your expiration date. As GretelNick said, if you cancel past the expiration date, those points are gone forever though. The app and website probably won't let you do it. I've been there and done that, had to call in. It took me close to an hour with a friendly rep who bounced stuff up the chain and put me on hold while she did at least half a dozen times. I had to tell her "no that's not what I want, this is what I'm trying to do and that idea doesn't work" a few times. But she kept plugging away, and we finally got what I wanted. I would say if it fails tho, just say thanks for trying, hang up and try again the next day.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:50 am

Programs: Southwest, American, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold, BW Diamond, Choice Platinum, SPG, Wyndham Gold
As a side note, I personally think one of the best redemption options is 2-5 days at one of the Playa del Carmen all inclusive Viva Wyndhams, combined with paid stays for a few nights at a local hotel on or close to the main pedestrian street (5th Avenue). Take your side trips to Cichen Itza, Tulum, Cozumel, etc. during the day, while staying in town and enjoying the restaurants, shopping and such in the evening. Before (or after) that enjoy a few days at the Resort for some serious chill time without leaving.

You can easily find decent rooms for $30-60 on or within a block of 5th. Roughly double that for more ocean front. But even on 5th you are only 3-5 blocks away from the beach. The closer to 5th the better in my opinion, more so if you are side-tripping. Evenings are much more likely to be spent going to a couple shops, then dinner, then chill at the room for a bit, before going out to a club if that's your thing, then they are at the beach, in that scenario.

Last edited by magnicus; Jan 8, 2016 at 1:55 am
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
So I reached Wyndham "Gold", which is really nothing, but I got 15k points which has to be used by Apr 2016.

First question, is there anyway to extend the expiration of this 15k points that I got from getting "Gold" status of having 20 nights stay?

If not, does the points need to be redeemed by Apr 2016 (and the stay can be in the future, e.g. Nov 2016), or does the points need to be redeemed AND the stay completed by Apr 2016?

Lastly, any suggestions on where to redeem the one night for? I looked into the Go Fast cash+points, but that's really bad value. The high end properties co-pay is too high, and for the mid-tier properties (about $50 co-pay), I can just manufacture Hilton points and I can get a higher tier Hilton property for the same amount of co-pay in terms of the money I spent for VGC fees.
I had the same question (and coincidentally the same expiry date) so I contacted Wyndham and they answered as follows:

Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting Wyndham RewardsŪ.

Yes, Michael, as long as you redeem within the 95 days and the points are used they will not expire. So you can book for July 2016 or later.

When you redeem for a free night stay your Gold Status Points are redeemed first.

Sincerely,

Angela
Wyndham Rewards Member Services
Go Free, Go Fast, Go Get 'Em
www.wyndhamrewards.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.